Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: Off-Seasoning III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I wonder what it would take to acquire Mike Hoffman. Would love him on either Giroux or Couturier's LW.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Well we couldn't afford both of them under the cap this year unless a guy like Streit was going back.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I wonder what it would take to acquire Mike Hoffman. Would love him on either Giroux or Couturier's LW.

I'd rather aim for Tatar.

Holland wants a top-4 minute eater on the backend whose capable to play on the PP. The Red Wings are also deep on the LW with Zetterberg, Abdelkader, Vanek and Miller.

Del Zotto comes to mind.

Both are on a one-year contract, nearly the same-age and the emergence of our young D could ease the pain. Most likely, it would be one season too early since Provorov never played an NHL game yet, Morin needs more developemt in the AHL and Sanheim just turned pro.

But Tatar would fill a big need (highly skilled top-6 winger) and is fairly young.

Only difference between him and Del Zotto is, TT is a RFA and costs 1.1 Mill$ less.

Flyers would need to throw in a sweetener IMO.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Ottawa & Hoffman have been fighting over contracts for these last two year's now. Hoffman filed arbitration last year & actually went. Hoffman was awarded a 1 year $2M deal by the arbitratior. They're slated to go again this summer on August 4th. It seems like they're still far apart in discussions. Ottawa can let him go to arbitration again & if they elect for a two year deal( which I would imagine they would) they can buy a UFA year there. At a certain point something needs to give thus why people think he's available.

The issue with Hoffman is that he's a pretty good goal scorer but he doesn't really give you much more than that. He's a top six complimentary winger & doesn't really drive the play by himself. So he's not really a guy you absolutely back up the Binx truck on despite his goal totals.

Last edited:

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I worry Hoffman is like Moulson. He doesn't seem like a very good skater, he isn't physical, I think he OK defensively I am not sure he is great. Moulson seemed to just drop off a cliff production wise although Hoffman is like 6-7 years younger.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I worry Hoffman is like Moulson. He doesn't seem like a very good skater, he isn't physical, I think he OK defensively I am not sure he is great. Moulson seemed to just drop off a cliff production wise although Hoffman is like 6-7 years younger.

Maybe I'm losing it, but my recollection of Hoffman is that he is a dynamic skater.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Hoffman is a good skater.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The issue with Hoffman is that he's a pretty good goal scorer but he doesn't really give you much more than that. He's a top six complimentary winger & doesn't really drive the play by himself. So he's not really a guy you absolutely back up the Binx truck on despite his goal totals.

Sounds familiar ;)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Sounds familiar ;)

I would still say Schenn gives you more than Hoffman. From a Flyers perspective you're not trading assets on top of handing out a contract like Schenn as well.

Looking at Ottawa's forum it seems like there's some rumblings of Hoffman potentially asking for $6M a year. At that price I wouldn't really blame Ottawa from moving on & taking the assets plus the savings there in a trade.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
His skating is passable. He's not bad nor is he a dynamic skater though. A lot of his goals come from out on the perimeter when in the offensive zone.

In my mind Hoffman's skating is closer to explosive than passable.

To make sure I'm not losing my mind, I just googled hoffman and skating and found out he won the 2014 AHL fastest skater contest at 13.99 seconds and was 2nd to Drouin in the 2015 NHL fastest skater contest.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I would still say Schenn gives you more than Hoffman. From a Flyers perspective you're not trading assets on top of handing out a contract like Schenn as well.

Looking at Ottawa's forum it seems like there's some rumblings of Hoffman potentially asking for $6M a year. At that price I wouldn't really blame Ottawa from moving on & taking the assets plus the savings there in a trade.

Figured with his juniors coach, Guy Boucher, coming in that might've helped negotiations a bit. Guess not.

I'm not interested in shelling out prospects/picks for Hoffman -- age, price, etc. (personally I think he's a little better than Schenn though). Now if we could just pry away Mark Stone instead.....

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Skills competitions don't always translate to game situations. You're not carrying the puck nor are you turning much & changing speeds. I would say that's the case for Hoffman as he's not really a guy who carries the play.

Someone posted on here not long ago (I believe Appleyard) that Simmonds finished like first or second in an OHL or CHL All-Star competition for fast skater during his juniors. Same thing with Simmonds he's fast in a relatively straight line when given room but when moving him laterally with little ice to operate with he just becomes ok.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Skills competitions don't always translate to game situations. You're not carrying the puck nor are you turning much & changing speeds. I would say that's the case for Hoffman as he's not really a guy who carries the play.

Someone posted on here not long ago (I believe Appleyard) that Simmonds finished like first or second in an OHL or CHL All-Star competition for fast skater during his juniors. Same thing with Simmonds he's fast in a relatively straight line when given room but when moving him laterally with little ice to operate with he just becomes ok.

Skating contests don't always translate to game situations, true.

But considering I recalled Hoffman to be a dynamic skater, and then wondering if I'm going nuts because I see people separately label his skating as "not very good" and merely "passable," it makes me more confident in my personal recollection to read that he won the AHL skating contest and was 2nd in the NHL's contest.

I really think those describing Hoffman's skating as subpar or merely passable are mistaken.

Last edited:

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Ottawa & Hoffman have been fighting over contracts for these last two year's now. Hoffman filed arbitration last year & actually went. Hoffman was awarded a 1 year $2M deal by the arbitratior. They're slated to go again this summer on August 4th. It seems like they're still far apart in discussions. Ottawa can let him go to arbitration again & if they elect for a two year deal( which I would imagine they would) they can buy a UFA year there. At a certain point something needs to give thus why people think he's available.

What is a Binx truck and what's it loaded with? Asking for a friend.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
What is a Binx truck and what's it loaded with? Asking for a friend.

I'm assuming it's a typo that should have said "Brinks" truck, which is the trucks that deliver money to banks and such.

6838750_orig.jpg

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
I'd rather aim for Tatar.

Holland wants a top-4 minute eater on the backend whose capable to play on the PP. The Red Wings are also deep on the LW with Zetterberg, Abdelkader, Vanek and Miller.

Del Zotto comes to mind.

Both are on a one-year contract, nearly the same-age and the emergence of our young D could ease the pain. Most likely, it would be one season too early since Provorov never played an NHL game yet, Morin needs more developemt in the AHL and Sanheim just turned pro.

But Tatar would fill a big need (highly skilled top-6 winger) and is fairly young.

Only difference between him and Del Zotto is, TT is a RFA and costs 1.1 Mill$ less.

Flyers would need to throw in a sweetener IMO.

I'd love that deal, hell I'd throw in a 3rd or a lower tier prospect

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
http://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2016/07/blackhawks-jimmy-vesey.html

FWIW.

Loucks mentions the Boston Bruins, Buffalo Sabres, Detroit Red Wings, Edmonton Oilers, Philadelphia Flyers, and Toronto Maple Leafs as other teams that will be in the running for Vesey’s services. In season-long speculation involving Vesey, his ties to Sabres’ forward Jack Eichel are often brought up, as are his having been raised in Boston, and the fact that his father Jim is a scout for the Leafs, and his brother Dakota is a Leafs prospect himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad