Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: Off-Seasoning III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
That buys 5 UFA years, correct? He's coming up on his age 27 season.

Yea, let somebody else pay him 5MM, there isn't a law that says you have to sign him to a bad deal. Not sure I've found anybody online that thinks this is a good deal yet. I'll keep looking.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
BTW, deals like this also make me think MDZ will get over 5MM a year. So anybody thinking he's coming back for 4.5ish, might want to rethink that.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Yea, let somebody else pay him 5MM, there isn't a law that says you have to sign him to a bad deal. Not sure I've found anybody online that thinks this is a good deal yet. I'll keep looking.

Oh it's terrible. But it would be even worse if it weren't buying so many UFA years.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
BTW, deals like this also make me think MDZ will get over 5MM a year. So anybody thinking he's coming back for 4.5ish, might want to rethink that.

Demers only got $4.5m. Just because Detroit overpaid doesn't mean Hextall will. They've been overpaying their guys for a while now. Abdelkader, Helm, and now DeKeyser.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
DeKeyser is probably the best defenseman that the Wings have. Kronwall is in decline and often injured; Ericsson never became Lidstrom lite and Green is Green-all offense and little to no defense. The Wings bought some of his UFA years here so its not a bad deal.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
DeKeyser is probably the best defenseman that the Wings have. Kronwall is in decline and often injured; Ericsson never became Lidstrom lite and Green is Green-all offense and little to no defense. The Wings bought some of his UFA years here so its not a bad deal.

They are over the cap, so you can't really say its a good deal either.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Del Zotto is perceived more highly by Flyers fans than the rest of the league..especially if his offensive production is missing again this upcoming season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'd be surprised if he's back at all with all the LHD on the way and Ghost needing a big raise.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I'd be surprised if he's back at all with all the LHD on the way and Ghost needing a big raise.

Tbh so long as he is in the ~4-4.5m range cap will be no problem... the next few years Flyers should have about $3-5m a year free even with MDZ signed at around that.

Ofc MDZ is very likely not in proper 'long-term' plans... but I could see him getting a 2 year deal which would ensure the youngsters would not be rushed:

17-18:

Provorov -- Gostisbehere
Del Zotto -- Gudas
Morin -- MacDonald

18-19:

Provorov -- Gostisbehere
Del Zotto -- Gudas
Morin -- Sanheim

(Amac bought out in summer 2018... first point it becomes reasonable)

That would not cause any real blockage in the young Dmen's paths in all likelihood and we would get a solid veteran presence in the meantime.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I would shocked if he's back for less than 5.

Will depend on this upcoming season. Hextall could potentially let him walk if we don't see an uptick in his offensive production because I dont think he's worth that based on his defensive game alone.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Tbh so long as he is in the ~4-4.5m range cap will be no problem... the next few years Flyers should have about $3-5m a year free even with MDZ signed at around that.

Ofc MDZ is very likely not in proper 'long-term' plans... but I could see him getting a 2 year deal which would ensure the youngsters would not be rushed:

17-18:

Provorov -- Gostisbehere
Del Zotto -- Gudas
Morin -- MacDonald

18-19:

Provorov -- Gostisbehere
Del Zotto -- Gudas
Morin -- Sanheim

(Amac bought out in summer 2018... first point it becomes reasonable)

That would not cause any real blockage in the young Dmen's paths in all likelihood and we would get a solid veteran presence in the meantime.

I am not sure Sanheim is going to need 2 years in the AHL. I think he can be ready for 2017/18. I would replace AMac with Sanheim that year and just have AMac as the #7.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Oh yeh, it is certainly a possibility that Sanheim starts the 2017-18 season on the roster...

but if MDZ were not re-signed that would mean a very young, inexperienced D, and the possibility of not having an ideal group for PKing especially, which while I am not against at all could mean players thrown into roles they are not quite ready for too early.

As Tripod said MDZ re-signing and pushing AMac to #7 next year if Sanheim makes the team is the better scenario.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think these guys could kill penalties in 17-18.

Provorov-Gudas
Morin-MacDonald

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I am not sure Sanheim is going to need 2 years in the AHL. I think he can be ready for 2017/18. I would replace AMac with Sanheim that year and just have AMac as the #7.

Ideally, AMAC gets picked up in expansion. He would be an expensive #7 but he would provide some veteran experience to a young d Corp.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think these guys could kill penalties in 17-18.

Provorov-Gudas
Morin-MacDonald

Possibly...

I just think with the way Hextall has operated so far he will not go into 2017-18 with so little competition for Morin & Sanheim to make roster... which he would really be doing if MDZ were not re-signed or another top 5 Dman not signed as UFA.

It all depends I think on what MDZ is willing to accept in regards to his contract, term more than cap really, as the cap is pretty much regulated by the market and should be reasonable.

If MDZ is happy signing for 2 years I reckon Hextall does... longer and he is a goner.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Ideally, AMAC gets picked up in expansion. He would be an expensive #7 but he would provide some veteran experience to a young d Corp.

I really cannot imagine it being likely though...

Vegas will have an abundance of good D to pick from, D will likely be the strongest pool of players to pick from.

While on the flip-side Flyers will be exposing Read and 2/4 of Weise, Raffl, Cousins & Laughton... and forward will be the weakest pool of players to pick from in expansion.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Possibly...

I just think with the way Hextall has operated so far he will not go into 2017-18 with so little competition for Morin & Sanheim to make roster... which he would really be doing if MDZ were not re-signed or another top 5 Dman not signed as UFA.

It all depends I think on what MDZ is willing to accept in regards to his contract, term more than cap really, as the cap is pretty much regulated by the market and should be reasonable.

If MDZ is happy signing for 2 years I reckon Hextall does... longer and he is a goner.

Yeah, it's hard to say right now. It'll depend on how many NHL games Morin and Provorov get this year, and what MDZ's demands are.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I was not crazy about signing MDZ but he has outplayed my expectations. Now he is much better than when he was with the Rags and Preds. On a contract in the $4's, I'd be OK with keeping him. However if he sees himself getting Streit's money after this season, I'm not interested. That cash slot should be going to Ghost eventually.
As for the need for veterans after this season, there will be Gudas, AMac (who played much better after he was brought back up last year) and Ghost. With the way that Hexy brings along the young players, when they get to Philly, they're not entirely novices.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I am torn on MDZ.

I like he idea of him being able to help,shelter the kids. But on the other hand, we can't sign him to a long term deal because the kids will likely be passing him in upcoming years.

If he would sign a 2-3 year deal, I would definately re-sign him. And if the kids pass him in year 2, we trade him. But at least on a short deal when others need to be re-signed, he will be coming off the books.

And there is the issue. Would he re-sign for that or does he see this as his chance to cash in? He does know that it's not always better when you move on...Nashville...so maybe he takes less to stay where he is comfortable and wanted.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I was not crazy about signing MDZ but he has outplayed my expectations. Now he is much better than when he was with the Rags and Preds. On a contract in the $4's, I'd be OK with keeping him. However if he sees himself getting Streit's money after this season, I'm not interested. That cash slot should be going to Ghost eventually.
As for the need for veterans after this season, there will be Gudas, AMac (who played much better after he was brought back up last year) and Ghost. With the way that Hexy brings along the young players, when they get to Philly, they're not entirely novices.

Could they do 5MM on a short term deal? They would have 2-3 years before Provy, Morin and Sanheim contracts come up.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I am torn on MDZ.

I like he idea of him being able to help,shelter the kids. But on the other hand, we can't sign him to a long term deal because the kids will likely be passing him in upcoming years.

If he would sign a 2-3 year deal, I would definately re-sign him. And if the kids pass him in year 2, we trade him. But at least on a short deal when others need to be re-signed, he will be coming off the books.

And there is the issue. Would he re-sign for that or does he see this as his chance to cash in? He does know that it's not always better when you move on...Nashville...so maybe he takes less to stay where he is comfortable and wanted.

Hopefully he'll sign a Coburn type deal. That was a cap friendly extension. Although, Coburn had one big pay day from the Flyers.

Doesn't MDZ come from a super wealthy family? Maybe, he won't care about the big payday as much. Promise him he can be a judge at Delilah's Diamond g string contest each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad