Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXVIII: Post Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Wouldn’t he be better off going for two one-year arb deals coming off his poor last season?

No. The club can't take him to arbitration again. If he elects one year, then elects for arbitration next year, the team gets to choose and could take a two year term. His best play is to take two years and have the award take him to UFA.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not if the hope is to get out of a gongshow organization who doesn't appreciate his skillset and continues to play inferior players over him in positions he excels - namely the PP.

When has Sanheim ever shown that he excels on the PP?
2018-2020: 147 minutes, 6.25 xGF/60.
Provorov last two seasons, 5.94, 6.14.

Watching Sanheim, he doesn't look comfortable on the PP, he's better with the puck when skating, when he has to hold it and read the action he seems a half second slow.

York is more likely to be PP1 in a year than Sanheim.

Reactions: phil162888

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
No. The club can't take him to arbitration again. If he elects one year, then elects for arbitration next year, the team gets to choose and could take a two year term. His best play is to take two years and have the award take him to UFA.
Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014

Watching Sanheim, he doesn't look comfortable on the PP, he's better with the puck when skating, when he has to hold it and read the action he seems a half second slow.

Sanhero has looked like trash in his PP opportunities. York is the future PP1 point man.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

Don't kid yourself, it'll be Risto.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What worked in 2020 was the residue of Hakstol's defense and transition, he's finished beating that out of them.

He won't go back. This is his preferred style. What they did in NY and what I dreaded seeing. They aren't ditching good puck control players to cater to AV wanting to play more puck control.

He had ample opportunity to go back as he watched failure in the playoffs. He had ample time to change or adjust anything at all last year. He did not. This is not a coach famous for admitting he made mistakes. He blames the players for his shortcomings.

He doesn't have even an ounce of humility. Like Therrien, he might get another HC gig after he flames out of this one. They are birds of a feather.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Whats Provorovs PP TOI during that time? Who is he playing with on the PP as opposed to Sanheim when he played there?

This is the danger of throwing around stats with absolutely zero context, folks. Dont let anyone fool you otherwise.

Also, Provorov and Risto will be manning the PP, with Yandle as the third option. York wont even sniff the NHL next year.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So Kane’s teammates don’t want him back based on Athletic report. Not surprised.

I guess we will see the clown working at a drive through window in the near future.

it is never his fault though. Don’t feel sorry for the guy at all. Doubt a European team will even touch him. Sharks will have to wait and hope he gets lifetime suspension from NHL or buy him out.

It's pretty clear that Evander Kane is a total POS.

There's more than enough evidence.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

So his xGF is better than Provorov's while playing with inferior players?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Sanhero has looked like trash in his PP opportunities. York is the future PP1 point man.

Provorov and Ellis are signed for four/six more years. Ristolainen will likely be extended. York will have his work cut out getting much PP time at all.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Way better stats..... Sanhero is awesome on the PP....... the data shows he's elite.....just don't watch the games kids your eyes will be deceiving you.. just look at the numbers well not the actual numbers of goals and assists or +/-.... Its the advanced numbers that shows you he's great... I think...

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Provorov and Ellis are signed for four/six more years. Ristolainen will likely be extended. York will have his work cut out getting much PP time at all.
I disagree. I am a big York proponent. I think he'll get significant PP time by the 2022 season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

So he's marginally better than Provorov? That's high praise. :sarcasm:
Both should be on PP2 at best.
Yandle is a better PP QB than either of them (as good as Ghost post 2017-18), and we're hoping York glues him to the bench.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
So he's marginally better than Provorov? That's high praise. :sarcasm:
Both should be on PP2 at best.
Yandle is a better PP QB than either of them (as good as Ghost post 2017-18), and we're hoping York glues him to the bench.

Hes marginally better than Provorov while also not getting usage time with two of the best PP players of the last Decade.

So yes, thats pretty high praise.

But as per norm, that doesnt fit the narrative, so we conveniently leave that out.

Again -- head in the sand.

Illini Flyer

Jan 30, 2019
Near St Louis
Didn't Sanheim run a historic PP in Juniors? And then puts up better numbers than Provy with inferior players in the NHL? I don't really see where the disconnect on him deserving a bigger chance with PP1 is

Reactions: SanBlom

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Didn't Sanheim run a historic PP in Juniors? And then puts up better numbers than Provy with inferior players in the NHL? I don't really see where the disconnect on him deserving a bigger chance with PP1 is
He has 9 career PP points. Provorov has 38 PP points. Provorov may not be the answer for the 1st unit, but Sanheim hasn't really impressed on the PP either.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

The disconnect is it doesn't align with what management is doing. And because management can never be wrong, we have to justify their decision.

The life of a consultant- parrot out what management says so you can keep your contract.

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It's pretty funny. The only time Sanheim and Provorov have gotten similar usage (top pair/PP2) in their careers (shocker- after Hakstol got fired), Sanheim paced for 40+ points. Provorov paced for 24 points. They said after that offseason 'nah I'm good'. Provorov got the 6 year deal and the PP time. Sanheim got the bridge and was no longer a PP regular.

Please show me a player who has led their team in 5v5 scoring for the first three full years of their career and aren't PP regulars. I will patiently wait for that list.

It's a horrible evaluation. Period.

Last edited:

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
It's pretty funny. The only time Sanheim and Provorov have gotten similar usage (top pair/PP2) in their careers (shocker- after Hakstol got fired), Sanheim paced for 40+ points. Provorov paced for 24 points. They said after that offseason 'nah I'm good'. Provorov got the 6 year deal and the PP time. Sanheim got the bridge and was no longer a PP regular.

Please show me a player who has led their team in 5v5 scoring for the first three years of their career and aren't PP regulars. I will patiently wait for that list.

It's horrible deployment. Period.

sorry not enuf Vetness,

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
If he doesn't get that PP time ahead of vets with bigger contracts, I hope you will be consistent and start sarcastically calling him Yorkhero.
Doesn't have the same zing. But if York disappoints in general, I will call him out. My moniker was named in honor of Ghost, and I certainly called him out for his decline before anyone else was willing.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Please show me a player who has led their team in 5v5 scoring for the first three years of their career and aren't PP regulars. I will patiently wait for that list.

It's a horrible evaluation. Period.

The only season Sanheim was in the top 30 in ES pp/60 was his second season, the last two he's been in the middle of the pack, which isn't good when you're mediocre on defense. It's nice to have advanced metrics on your side, but actual production is better than predicted production.

Both Provorov and Sanheim have failed to play up to their potential up to now.
Both are young enough that they still have a lot of upside left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad