Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXVIII: Post Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
MacKinnon is a beast, but that draconian shit doesn’t motivate everyone. You think Kucherov would enjoy that? You can have one guy like that, but you can’t have a leadership group of just that or it wears thin. Screaming at young guys for missing a practice pass isn’t my idea of leading personally. I think of someone like Chara treating rookies with respect. But Nate would probably get along great with General Micromanager Ron Hextall.

Giroux is intense, but he doesn't scream at teammates (as far as I know), he just leads by example.

It's 82 games and then the playoffs, you can't motivate a team with screamers (HC or players) for that long a stretch, after a while they'll just tune you out.

A lot of coaching is understanding "different strokes for different folks," some players need "tough love," some need confidence building, some just need quiet guidance. The same holds for team leaders, you might need someone to play bad cop a few times a year, but do it on a regular basis and it stops being effective.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Giroux is intense, but he doesn't scream at teammates (as far as I know), he just leads by example.

It's 82 games and then the playoffs, you can't motivate a team with screamers (HC or players) for that long a stretch, after a while they'll just tune you out.

A lot of coaching is understanding "different strokes for different folks," some players need "tough love," some need confidence building, some just need quiet guidance. The same holds for team leaders, you might need someone to play bad cop a few times a year, but do it on a regular basis and it stops being effective.

It sounds like MacKinnon ate the carrot for dietary reasons and just uses the stick.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
MacKinnon is a beast, but that draconian shit doesn’t motivate everyone. You think Kucherov would enjoy that? You can have one guy like that, but you can’t have a leadership group of just that or it wears thin. Screaming at young guys for missing a practice pass isn’t my idea of leading personally. I think of someone like Chara treating rookies with respect. But Nate would probably get along great with General Micromanager Ron Hextall.

15ea9aa6-1bbf-4168-b043-cce529c2fee2_text.gif
At some point, you’re just a super talented asshole. Then people are talking behind your back or doing things to spite you. But then you sign a Kevin Hayes type to make it all cool, right?

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I think MacKinnon is taking it to ridiculous extremes, young athletes don't have to be health fanatics, just use common sense, drink in moderation, don't screw until 3AM the night before games, eat a balanced diet, and so on. If you make your life so miserable that it becomes fun less, it'll probably have a negative impact on your game.
That’s all fine up to the 3AM stuff. You have to do cardio and burn calories some how off of the ice.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace

15ea9aa6-1bbf-4168-b043-cce529c2fee2_text.gif
I think it was a recent Spitting Chiclets where someone actually said some similar stuff about Kucherov. If you missed him with a pass he'd jump down your throat. Not sure of it was just games or practice too. I don't listen to the pod, I just heard a snippet on Instagram. I was also inebriated.

Don't mind me, I'm just here to rain on your parade with what is essentially hearsay.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think it was a recent Spitting Chiclets where someone actually said some similar stuff about Kucherov. If you missed him with a pass he'd jump down your throat. Not sure of it was just games or practice too. I don't listen to the pod, I just heard a snippet on Instagram. I was also inebriated.

Don't mind me, I'm just here to rain on your parade with what is essentially hearsay.

I meant more the dietary and lifestyle mandates for this man.

Nikita-Kucherov-2.jpg

I have no doubts he has some crazy in him. Not that he's not a leader, but it's probably not totally meaningless that Stamkos, Hedman, Killorn, McDonagh wear the letters.

Last edited:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I don’t know how to feel if they’re actually going this direction...

It makes the blue equipment make more sense at least even if I hated it. But I was told that was only a one year thing but who knows now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad