Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXVIII: Post Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
McAvoy or any player could look like this for all I care as long as they’re good…

images

This is how I imagine the Ristolainen and Sanheim pairing.

ThisPeriodicIberianbarbel-max-1mb.gif

@BigToe — feel free to add your own RoboCop reference!

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Should the Flyers still be looking to move JVR contract assuming that they were by exposing him
Or just ride out the season knowing he will get 25-ish goals and be their only net front presence and main PP producer?
They'll probably trade him with some dead cap coming back just like Jake. Only question is when. Or they keep him as a scapegoat blaming him for lack of pp success.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Should the Flyers still be looking to move JVR contract assuming that they were by exposing him
Or just ride out the season knowing he will get 25-ish goals and be their only net front presence and main PP producer?

No way we can lose JVR now. No Patrick makes him that much more valuable.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Perhaps this hints at the way our team played not being so effective. Maybe try a new "system", if you will. Or maybe the entire roster sucked at being big and mean, so that was the problem with gaining the zone with possession. I'm neither an analytics guy nor a dentist though.
I double dog doubt AV is changing his system anytime soon.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
Definitely seems to lack the flexibility for adapting. That one track mind is going to cause us pain. And if he fails, oh well, just pay him his 25 mil. I love how player contracts always get mentioned when discussing results. Maybe there should be a salary cap for staff too.

Reactions: Rebels57

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I read the Athletic article is interesting and informative. Keep in mind though has anyone ever met a surgeon that didn’t want to operate?
Yes I personally have. I have a osteoarthritis in my knees my doctor is not operating on them until I won't need a second procedure.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Wait. I've been told he changed his system in the bubble and last year, so that means it's now impossible he'd change back to what worked in 2020?

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016
I know that I am a day late in the JVR conversation but you hang on to him until the trade deadline.
If it looks like they are not making the playoffs you try and move him then. If they have a shot you keep him for the playoff experience and net front presence.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Wait. I've been told he changed his system in the bubble and last year, so that means it's now impossible he'd change back to what worked in 2020?
Didn't come from me, Deady. If he has changed anything I'd love to know what it is and why it hasn't worked, though.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

What worked in 2020 was the residue of Hakstol's defense and transition, he's finished beating that out of them.

He won't go back. This is his preferred style. What they did in NY and what I dreaded seeing. They aren't ditching good puck control players to cater to AV wanting to play more puck control.

He had ample opportunity to go back as he watched failure in the playoffs. He had ample time to change or adjust anything at all last year. He did not. This is not a coach famous for admitting he made mistakes. He blames the players for his shortcomings.

Last edited:

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I just don't see how the Flyers get off to a hot start when the season begins. A roster with a lot of personnel change needs time to sort itself out. AV's propensity for juggling lines won't hasten the development of chemistry. I can see G and Couts being together and AV messing around with who the other winger will be. He'll be banging square pegs into round holes trying to give Hayes what he needs in order to be effective which will fail in the end due to Hayes being a puck hog.. That means the third and fourth lines will be in a state of flux until the top two lines are figured out.
Then on defense, who knows how he'll play that. Ellis and Provorov make sense but you never know. With Sanheim's contract being up in the air, one can only guess who pairs with Risto. Might even be Yandl.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Sanheim will have a contract. If it goes to arbitration, it will just be for one year.

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
So Kane’s teammates don’t want him back based on Athletic report. Not surprised.

I guess we will see the clown working at a drive through window in the near future.

it is never his fault though. Don’t feel sorry for the guy at all. Doubt a European team will even touch him. Sharks will have to wait and hope he gets lifetime suspension from NHL or buy him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad