Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXVIII: Post Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yes, but it is very funny.
The reality is both teams will end up with egg on their faces in all probability.

Yeah he’s not a $6.1M player at the moment. Not anywhere close. So from a pure value perspective you’d probably be better to let him walk. But Montreal already lost Daneault so they are really counting on KK for better or worse.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Lol I totally forgot that 2022 will be the year when the Chinese hockey team gets raped

(if this expression is not allowed, please edit/delete, don't mean to post any bad taste jokes)

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Lol I totally forgot that 2022 will be the year when the Chinese hockey team gets raped

(if this expression is not allowed, please edit/delete, don't mean to post any bad taste jokes)

Did they take any European level non-Chinese players like other small countries do?

They’d still get pounded but maybe lesser if they at least have some of those caliber of players.

Reactions: kudymen

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Did they take any European level non-Chinese players like other small countries do?

They’d still get pounded but maybe lesser if they at least have some of those caliber of players.

The most I know is that a season ago, China decided (with sort of help of Jaromír Jágr) to put an all Chinese team together (coached by Jiří Šejba, 1985 world champion, played 11 games for the Sabres in 1991) to play in the 3rd tier league in the Czech republic.

They played 42 games, registered 1 point for 1 overtime loss and ended up with a GF:GA record of 76:406. There were several Czechs on that team to help "mentor" the Chinese guys. I repeat, a team that was meant to become fundamental for Chinese olympic team (aside from Kunlun Red Star obviously), recorded 406 goals against in the 3rd highest league in the Czech republic.

Per livesport.cz:
upload_2021-8-29_22-25-8.png

Players per eliteprospects.com:
upload_2021-8-29_22-26-34.png

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
News clip about former Flyer player signings overseas.
  • Former Philadelphia Flyer Taylor Leier is staying in Germany, at least for one more year. Leier left North America ahead of the 2020-21 season after playing on an AHL deal the year prior. He initially signed on with HC Ocelari Trinec in the Czech Republic, but shortly after jumped to Adler Manheim in the DEL. Leier played well, recording ten points in 20 games and contributing in the post season. He seemingly caught the eye of a rival, as the Straubing Tigers have announced a one-year deal with the forward. Leier will jump right into the action, as Straubing has preseason games beginning this week. Leier, who recorded seven points in 55 games with the Flyers, will join other former Philly NHLers Jason Akeson and Brandon Manning on the Straubing Tigers roster.
Jason Akeson! Another in the long line of Ham and eggers that this board went apoplectic over the way the Flyers used or didn’t use him.
Right along with Sunshine the goalie of all goalies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Vancouver is a hell of a lot different then halfway across the world.

How about Sochi?

I can't find the comparison for Sochi or PyongChang.

Useless anecdote: my Mancunian friend became a diehard hockey fan and has kept it up ever since 2010, and my father in law who took a dim view of hockey his whole life gave it a chance in 2018 and routinely watches the Caps now.

Though in both cases, part of the conversion relied on me explaining why players do what they do on the ice, and what the hell is happening. Hockey is a really inaccessible sport to the casual newbs. Honestly, basketball isn't better either. For all their broadcast warts, the NFL typically does a great job of explaining what you're seeing so that new viewers can learn the basics just by watching. You don't get that with hockey. Of course, the routine 20-30 second breaks and constant chances for replay and explanation make that possible.

However, the Olympics spurred both conversions. The Olympics seems to be the time when people give different sports a shot. And I'm not sure the NHL should be turning down any opportunities for growing the fanbase. Especially when they'd have to compete with the Olympics for viewers anyway.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017

Any time I talk about Fletch that term is used so you good.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
WHat is KK actually worth , 2.5 per ?

On Friedman's podcast today,

Summer Offer Sheet Special | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

he mentioned that he felt Bergevin offered a 2 yr. deal in that range and KK didn't want it. At that point, since the Canes were calling about a trade, he should have done moved him. Friedman seems to think that the Canes have already mentioned that they are interested in a long term deal but at a lower price. And he thinks that Bergevin might be calling around (AZ/Dvorak) to see if that 1st and 3rd could get them the center they need.

Very murky stuff.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Bergevin is in a tough spot. He needs a top-6 center. He has 6 days to get one before he could feel forced to match the OS. And he doesn't technically have those picks to use until that time is up. Teams know that he's behind an 8-ball, and can use that to up their leverage.

And if he does match, he can't use Kotkaniemi in any trade packages until just before the start of next season. So he'd be forced to give him a QO at 6+ million again just to be able to try and trade him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad