Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LX: Covid Cup II nears its finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Umpire performance matters more than you might think. You can have games with ~85% ball/strike accuracy at the low end.

Here's Joe West this year for example.

image.png
That one kid who threw the bat at Jose Abreu had a ludicrously low accuracy behind the plate a few weeks ago. I'll try to track it down.

In conclusion: umpires suck

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
The NFL doesn't surprise me at all because of the single game format, but MLB does surprise me a lot.
Baseball I get to a certain extent, as well, because pitching is such a premium in the playoffs. But, if a star pitcher has one or two bad games in a row in the playoffs, his team probably doesn't advance.

Playoff margins in the NHL, NFL, and MLB are extremely thin.

NBA is a bit different because the star players play 75%+ of any playoff game, something that doesn't happen in the NHL and NFL. In baseball, your star pitchers only pitch every 3-4 games.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
That one kid who threw the bat at Jose Abreu had a ludicrously low accuracy behind the plate a few weeks ago. I'll try to track it down.

In conclusion: umpires suck
Tremendous. According to UmpScorecards, so far this year there are THIRTY umpires with a run impact of +1.5 or more. 12 of those 30 gave a run impact of +1.75, and 3 of those 12 are +2 or more. Tre. Mendous.

E2KYAjTX0AYh-vg

Last edited:

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
Tremendous. According to UmpScorecards, so far this year there are THIRTY umpires with a run impact of +1.5 or more. 12 of those 30 gave a run impact of +1.75, and 3 of those 12 are +2 or more. Tre. Mendous.

E2KYAjTX0AYh-vg

It's actually hilarious considering they're fighting tooth and nail to keep pitch calling part of their job against the growing momentum to automate it. They are literally scoring in their own goal this year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I have no idea why they don't automate pitch calling, with the technology they have, all it does is highlight the fallibility of human pitch calling.
At some point, you have to bite the bullet and do it - and it would improve the game - with a predictable strike zone players would be able to sharpen their skills, both pitch location and hitters knowing what to swing at.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

E2KYAjTX0AYh-vg
Not trying to derail the discussion at hand, just illustrating how much of an impact umpiring can have as I'm in agreement with @JojoTheWhale

4 of the top 10 active umpires with the most playoff experience have a +1.5 run impact this season if I counted right. For reference, there are 93 umps tracked, so the +1.5 threshold puts these guys in the lower 3rd

So almost half of the most used playoff umps have some of the largest game impact

Last edited:

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Could you be referring to a study that answered a slightly different question, probably one about game-to-game results? It has the feel of one of those situations where nuance changes the answer significantly and everyone is actually correct.

In the Lopez example, he's only referring to playoff outcomes. This means that you're comparing Best-of-7 NHL series to single elimination NFL tournaments among other issues.

I think it was an excerpt / summary from this book -> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A07FR4...scsubtag=[]vx[p]15504673[t]w[r]google.com[d]D

Here's what his chart looks like -

continuum.png

The distinction between the regular season and playoffs is an important one and I'd actually like to see a head on comparison between the two 'modes' within the same sport, across all sports.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Not trying to derail the discussion at hand, just illustrating how much of an impact umpiring can have as I'm in agreement with @JojoTheWhale

4 of the top 10 active umpires with the most playoff experience have a +1.5 run impact this season if I counted right. For reference, there are 93 umps tracked, so the +1.5 threshold puts these guys in the lower 3rd

So almost half of the most used playoff umps have some of the largest game impact

Do you know if this has ever been measured for hockey? It would quite difficult, I imagine, but that's the point - refereeing probably has a huge impact on hockey outcomes, even moreso when you add in inconsistent supplementary discipline like Wilson, Kadri, and Scheifele.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Who needs more reasons to hate on Vegas?

I agree with the very end, and the comment of “where is security”

Stupid shit happens, and while I don’t excuse the stupid behaviour - wearing opposing colours in a playoff game is a choice I just wouldn’t make.

They hopefully at least get their money back they spent on tickets, and a few of those home fans should be banned.

Less stuff happens if security does their job.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I feel like Boston will snag one of the better Goalies available, run with them and Sway. I too would love to have Halak. If he's free, he would be my top goalie target.
He's saying he's not leaving Boston, so doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Reactions: Beef Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad