Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LX: Covid Cup II nears its finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Then maybe copycat teams will get way more serious about giving young players a shot.
Or paying goalies $10M+. :sarcasm:

Interestingly, Carey Price is the first player making $10M+ to win a series in the salary cap era. There are only 13 players currently making $10M+ and three play for the Leafs, two play for LA and two play for Chicago. Two of those teams paid their stars after they won something. :laugh:

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

Interestingly, Carey Price is the first player making $10M+ to win a series in the salary cap era. There are only 13 players currently making $10M+ and three play for the Leafs, two play for LA and two play for Chicago. Two of those teams paid their stars after they won something. :laugh:

All I see here is you suggesting we should have paid Bryzgalov more

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I think he, Lundquist, and Quick are the only goalies making 7 or more to do anything in the playoffs too

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I haven't been plugged in recently, but I wonder if Vegas winning a Cup would do anything to budge the idea that you need elite Centers to win.

Winning or losing a Finals shouldn't be the deciding factor, but that's often how it works.
It's really about a Norris level Dman.

Since 2006, only Pitt has won a cup without a Norris level Dman on their team, and he was in 2016...hurt in 2017. But when you have 2 of the top 5 C in the world... Anyways, here is the list.

Hedman
Pietrangelo
Carlsson
Letang
Keith
Doughty
Keith
Doughty
Chara
Keith
Lidstrom
Pronger/Neidermyer

Reactions: Rebels57

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

To be fair to these dinosaur idiots, that is one decision that is legitimately difficult, shedding someone like Toews, for example, who has helped you to three Cups.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Since 2006, only Pitt has won a cup without a Norris level Dman on their team, and he was in 2016...hurt in 2017. But when you have 2 of the top 5 C in the world... Anyways, here is the list.

Hedman
Pietrangelo
Carlsson
Letang
Keith
Doughty
Keith
Doughty
Chara
Keith
Lidstrom
Pronger/Neidermyer

I don't know if you need a Norris level D-man, but since top D-men play 25+ minutes a night in the playoffs, they tend to have a greater impact than top centers.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't know if you need a Norris level D-man, but since top D-men play 25+ minutes a night in the playoffs, they tend to have a greater impact than top centers.
It's easy to say you don't need one....but the SC winners all do have one.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Then maybe copycat teams will get way more serious about giving young players a shot.

Montreal
Suzuki (21), Caufield (20), Kotkaniemi (20). #13, #15, #3
the only other player under 25 is Evans (24), and he has only played 4 games.

Flyers
Farabee (20), TK (23), Patrick (22), Allison (23), Hart (22), Laczynski (23)
Provorov, Sanheim, Myers, Lindblom, NAK (24)

I think the real lesson is have as many top 15 draft picks as possible.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I haven't been plugged in recently, but I wonder if Vegas winning a Cup would do anything to budge the idea that you need elite Centers to win.

Winning or losing a Finals shouldn't be the deciding factor, but that's often how it works.

I think both the elite center and Norris winning defenseman have it ass backward.
What you need is an above average top six and top four.
Having an elite player makes that easier to accomplish, but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Having an “above average” top 6/4 does not make you a contender. It makes you above average. :laugh:

I dunno, I'll bet most contenders are "above average."
Of course, there is Montreal, but they have Price, the great equalizer.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011

Hedman
Pietrangelo
Carlsson
Letang
Keith
Doughty
Keith
Doughty
Chara
Keith
Lidstrom
Pronger/Neidermyer
But having a good to great system in place and having it executed well is just as important or more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->