Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LVIII: May-June edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Which I don’t get at all. Is the guy supposed to turn turn down the $11 million contract?

“Oh no no this is too much. I’m only worth $9 million per season, maybe $9.5 if you’re feeling generous.”
I think they're mad at the way he went about negotiations because the Maple Leafs are god's gift to hockey and he should be grateful to play for them and not the amount that he's paid although they're all related.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think they're mad at the way he went about negotiations because the Maple Leafs are god's gift to hockey and he should be grateful to play for them and not the amount that he's paid although they're all related.

Probably a mix of hockey culture in there as well. Not to say it doesn’t exist in other sports but in hockey it’s the highest degree that it’s generally frowned upon for doing what’s best for you.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I don’t even really where you go from there for the Leafs. Seems like most want Marner gone.

It’s going to be harder to justify it but to me you have to stay relatively on course. Don’t do anything irrational based off this situation. As we’ve seen guys go from losers to winners eventually plenty of times before.
Washington for example. Took Ovechkin and the Caps 10 years to finally get their Cup with the core they had

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Four of the six starting goalies left in the playoffs has a won or have been nominated for the Vezina.

This speaks mostly to how voters think. By and large they do a pretty decent job with the Hart. The Vezina and Jack Adams are jokes.

I hesitate to put the Selke in either category because it's absolutely not voted as per the description of the award. But if you factor that in to your expectations, the choices usually aren't ridiculous.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I don’t even really where you go from there for the Leafs. Seems like most want Marner gone.

It’s going to be harder to justify it but to me you have to stay relatively on course. Don’t do anything irrational based off this situation. As we’ve seen guys go from losers to winners eventually plenty of times before.

Yep, I said the same last night. Tampa went through the same thing, more or less, with less insane fans. Although Tampa had the goaltending sorted out.

Situations aren't really that comparable

TB had two conference finals losses + SCF loss before finally getting over hump which was not being able to win cup. And plenty of TB players were producing it was mainly Stamkos who was MIA when it mattered most in those losses

Toronto cant even win a play in round and outside of Nylander there is no pulse from its core

Also Toronto has failed under multiple coaches/systems something TB did not do so there is something bigger at issue with Tor IMO

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This speaks mostly to how voters think. By and large they do a pretty decent job with the Hart. The Vezina and Jack Adams are jokes.

I hesitate to put the Selke in either category because it's absolutely not voted as per the description of the award. But if you factor that in to your expectations, the choices usually aren't ridiculous.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017

TB had two conference finals losses + SCF loss before finally getting over hump which was not being able to win cup. And plenty of TB players were producing it was mainly Stamkos who was MIA when it mattered most in those losses

Toronto cant even win a play in round and outside of Nylander there is no pulse from its core

Also Toronto has failed under multiple coaches/systems something TB did not do so there is something bigger at issue with Tor IMO

sounds familiar.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Should we go after Marner?

Konecny straight up.

We get the better player but the Leafs get a Top 6 RWer at the same age and $5.4 million in cap savings they can use to bolster their depth (maybe they use it to add a guy like Blake Coleman, or they poach Danault from Montreal)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Should we go after Marner?

Konecny straight up.

We get the better player but the Leafs get a Top 6 RWer at the same age and $5.4 million in cap savings they can use to bolster their depth (maybe they use it to add a guy like Blake Coleman, or they poach Danault from Montreal)
Who are you kidding....Fletch would add Sanheim and a 1st on top of it.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Nylander seems the perfect fit for present and future and cap. You’d have to call on Marner, but that one is harder given what they’d want and likely not as worthwhile given the cost to effectiveness ratio. But sure, I’d ask. If I believed the Flyers were more competitive, maybe Muzzin/Brodie. If I wanted to rebuild, maybe see if we could pry a prospect or two like Robertson.

Nylander though is the main answer. That’s a star winger at everything but star cost.

Nylander for Konecny + Hagg + 2nd?

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Since no one else has pointed it out yet, the Habs are 3-0 with Gustafsson in the lineup.

He also assisted on the GWG!

"Philadelphia trades Erik Gustafsson to the Montreal Canadiens for a 2021 7th round draft pick, which becomes a 1st if he gets a point on the deciding goal to eliminate the Toronto Maple Leafs." Woulda coulda shoulda.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Nylander for Konecny + Hagg + 2nd?

So, TK+2? :laugh:

Sure. I just don’t know why Toronto makes that move. They should have zero reason to move Nylander given he’s by a mile the cheapest of their top guys and actually did produce in this most recent of samples. He’s the guy who’s seemingly not on the hot seat. Most importantly, Nylander does not address the issue of the Flyers being poor defensively.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Watching him turn down a quick shot on Price to try and be fancy as Price and many Habs all got in his shooting lane... That too

I don't know if this is accurate but the Canadian feed colour man said that Marner mouthed/said something to the effect of "Am I ever going to score again?" during the 2nd period. Price had to have been in the Leafs' heads, most of all Marner's. Plus, as someone alluded to, all of the grade A chances seemed to have been on Hyman's stick, with expected results.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
So, TK+2? :laugh:

Sure. I just don’t know why Toronto makes that move. They should have zero reason to move Nylander given he’s by a mile the cheapest of their top guys and actually did produce in this most recent of samples. He’s the guy who’s seemingly not on the hot seat. Most importantly, Nylander does not address the issue of the Flyers being poor defensively.

I don't either, but this was just building off your previous post and the possibility that Nylander is the big shake-up trade candidate. Plus, it saves them $1.5 million for a player who could put up a fair proportion of points as Nylander and who has a bigger edge to his game.

Hagg was semi tongue in cheek as a clichéd rugged stay-at-home (mostly) defenseman who hits a lot. And how could Dave Hakstol not call in a favour with Dubas for Hagg?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Dropping this here and running for the hills. As I’ve said before, I don’t believe Jones is as bad as his recent impacts. The question is whether he’s a top guy or not and the confidence level of your conclusion. You’re going to have to pay for him like one on both axes.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Nah, when it comes to roster questions/construction, the situations are similar.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Dropping this here and running for the hills. As I’ve said before, I don’t believe Jones is as bad as his recent impacts. The question is whether he’s a top guy or not and the confidence level of your conclusion. You’re going to have to pay for him like one on both axes.

Just so you know, Operation Plowshare determined that hills aren't safe anymore. Anything can be nuked.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

The NHL itself needs to hire these types of guys or develop these metrics on their own.

I hate that really good data is proprietary, though I fully understand why it is.

Hockey lags so far behind every other major sport when it comes to publicly available advanced data and I am for too frugal to pay for it. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad