Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LVIII: May-June edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The NHL itself needs to hire these types of guys or develop these metrics on their own.

I hate that really good data is proprietary, though I fully understand why it is.

Hockey lags so far behind every other major sport when it comes to publicly available advanced data and I am for too frugal to pay for it. :laugh:
+/- and TOI are freely available though, so I'm not sure what else you need....

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
So Price is the only player from the top 15 highest paid(cap hit), that made the 2nd rd this year.

No skater(non goalie) making more than 9.5 million is still playing.
I read that today. It's an interesting stat.

Also, Toronto had a total of 6 shots on goal from its forwards after 2 periods last night.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
So Price is the only player from the top 15 highest paid(cap hit), that made the 2nd rd this year.

And of all the players that made it to the 2nd round MacKinnon still isn't even in the top 20 highest paid players...
Best contract in the league by far.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
upload_2021-6-1_8-42-43-jpeg.441783

Not mine, found on playoff boards

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
You could really see which team had more pressure. The Leafs were nervous wrecks. They weren't ready for a Game 7. Montreal had nothing to lose.
I couldn’t believe how bad they were. It was Game 7 & they showed no hunger. I guess they expected their talent level to be enough. Rielly being weak on the puck leading to Montreal’s empty net goal was a microcosm of the game.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
$5.4 million in cap space holds a lot of value.

sure, but after the emotion settles down do the Leafs make that deal? I don’t think they do. But lets say they make the deal. Flyers get Marner. Are they a better team? Maybe.
If say they lose NAK in the expansion draft. They need another defenseman. They need a backup goalie who is a upgrade over Elliott. I don’t think there is not enough money to go around.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I really want someone to see how much relationship there is between focusing your cap hits in a few players and bombing out early.

Depth wins, and the above is not conducive to depth

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

Dropping this here and running for the hills. As I’ve said before, I don’t believe Jones is as bad as his recent impacts. The question is whether he’s a top guy or not and the confidence level of your conclusion. You’re going to have to pay for him like one on both axes.

Jones better run for the hills if he ends up here let me tell ya

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I will say, it's funny to just as many Habs fans upset they won....because it likely means Bergevin will still be their GM next year.
Their team is a lot better than they get credit for.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
So, TK+2? :laugh:

Sure. I just don’t know why Toronto makes that move. They should have zero reason to move Nylander given he’s by a mile the cheapest of their top guys and actually did produce in this most recent of samples. He’s the guy who’s seemingly not on the hot seat. Most importantly, Nylander does not address the issue of the Flyers being poor defensively.

I think if they move any of the Big 4, I'd bet on Marner.

Out of curiosity, if you were Flyers' GM, would you be calling on Marner? If so, what would be your offer?

There will be a lot of interested teams if he's available, and I guess they might ask for something like Sanheim or Provorov and Konecny or Farabee.

Assuming we find a defensive replacement in another move, it would significantly change the dynamic of the team.

I honestly don't know what I'd do.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I mean I would absolutely interested in Marner if available. The reasons for people wanting him traded are essentially 16 game sample spread out over three years or whatever. That’s not to say he doesn’t deserve criticism for his lack of goal production in the playoffs recently. But at the same time that doesn’t mean everything in terms of projecting going forward.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I absolutely would not spend $10.9M of the Flyers’ cap on Mitch Marner.

That money can be much better used on more important needs than a one-way RW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad