Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LVIII: May-June edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
If anyone has extra time and wants to be amused at times....Steve Dangle

This is funny but the exact reason why people dislike the Leafs in Canada. The fans feel entitled.

This team was the best Leaf team in years (because of the improvements on the defence) but the truth is they would likely have been wiped out by any of the other top 8-10 teams in the league. Them playing in the North made all the analytic experts (i'm talking to you writers on the Athletic) blush. Their golden team wiping out non playoff teams night after night in the reg season proving that they were right and the Leafs are truly an elite team...... Wrong again.

Maybe next year will see but they won't be playing all those Canadian teams night after night with no defence (ironically losing to the only team that has a decent defence in the Habs).

Hockey is a team sport you need all 4 lines playing well, solid D and goaltending that keeps you in games. Relying on 4 star forwards puts way too much emphasis on them and that inlies their problem. Make their life difficult and even a far inferior team can defeat you.

I think their good (top 10 team) and likely back in the playoffs again but the over rating of this team has been unreal... The constant talk by pundits that they were on a level similar to Colorado, Vegas, TB and Carolina was not deserved. Will they be ... perhaps but you have to show something and prove something before you actually anoint a team the praise they've received imo

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I was in Grade 1. Of course, I was in Gr 10 the last time the Flyers won, which isn't much better.

I was actually hoping the Leafs would win last night but, let's face it, Marner is a boy among men. He's 24 and doesn't have any man strength.

He looks like a kid. Reminds me of when us old guys go play pick up, one guy brings his bantam-age kid to skate with us. The Hab D were throwing him around like a rag doll all night. Totally ineffective at $10M a year. Must be nice to be set for life and play like crap every time it matters.

I hate both teams equally, but it's funny watching Leafs fans suffer. Either way, I'll be rooting for the Jets

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I was in Grade 1. Of course, I was in Gr 10 the last time the Flyers won, which isn't much better.

I was actually hoping the Leafs would win last night but, let's face it, Marner is a boy among men. He's 24 and doesn't have any man strength.

He looks like a kid. Reminds me of when us old guys go play pick up, one guy brings his bantam-age kid to skate with us. The Hab D were throwing him around like a rag doll all night. Totally ineffective at $10M a year. Must be nice to be set for life and play like crap every time it matters.

He said a SERIES, not the Cup - I remember you from the O&B around 2002, you old bastard :laugh:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t even really where you go from there for the Leafs. Seems like most want Marner gone.

It’s going to be harder to justify it but to me you have to stay relatively on course. Don’t do anything irrational based off this situation. As we’ve seen guys go from losers to winners eventually plenty of times before.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I don’t even really where you go from there for the Leafs. Seems like most want Marner gone.

It’s going to be harder to justify it but to me you have to stay relatively on course. Don’t do anything irrational based off this situation. As we’ve seen guys go from losers to winners eventually plenty of times before.

Yep, I said the same last night. Tampa went through the same thing, more or less, with less insane fans. Although Tampa had the goaltending sorted out.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yep, I said the same last night. Tampa went through the same thing, more or less, with less insane fans. Although Tampa had the goaltending sorted out.

Goaltending wasn’t really an issue for Toronto these playoffs. Campbell saved 3.6 above expected these playoffs which is tied for fourth best in the playoffs. Unfortunately for them Price was ahead of him with 6.8.

It just seems like their offense dried up sans like game two or whatever when they had five goals. Matthews & Marner weren’t good. Tavares left the series early with an injury. Nylander was really the only top guy that actually played & did so really well.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
He said a SERIES, not the Cup - I remember you from the O&B around 2002, you old bastard :laugh:
Yes, the O&B when Mike Barr was running it, and before that, at the dawn of the interwebs, the alt.hockey.nhl.phila-flyers.net use-net board! Mike, Dave Kilgour and Bill Meltzer used to write the game summaries - it was the only way to find out how the games went beyond the boxscores in the papers.

I met Bill and Dave in Philly in '99, last time I made it down to watch some games live.

I used to go to the World's Biggest Bookstore in Toronto every week to buy the Saturday Inquirer before it was online. It was like $3 then for a 3 x 4 inch story! To find out about prospects, I had to tape all the WJC and MemCup games on VHS, then tape over them every year!

Ahh, Boomer Memory Lane. Kids have it so easy these days. LOL!

Last edited:

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Four of the six starting goalies left in the playoffs has a won or have been nominated for the Vezina. Varlamov probably should have been nominated and Nedeljkovic very well could be when he gets a bigger work load.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Goaltending wasn’t really an issue for Toronto these playoffs. Campbell saved 3.6 above expected these playoffs which is tied for fourth best in the playoffs. Unfortunately for them Price was ahead of him with 6.8.

It just seems like their offense dried up sans like game two or whatever when they had five goals. Matthews & Marner weren’t good. Tavares left the series early with an injury. Nylander was really the only top guy that actually played & did so really well.

I didn't mean that Campbell was the issue, just that I'm not sure if they have settled on him as the long-term answer.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I didn't mean that Campbell was the issue, just that I'm not sure if they have settled on him as the long-term answer.

Oh yeah. He’s probably the answer for right now. They’ll probably go the same route as Carolina & just see what sticks in net. They’ve kind of doing it anyway. I don’t see them investing big resources into the net.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The thing with Tampa, was that they did still win beforehand. They went to the SC final 4 years before they won it all and went to the Conf Finals 2 years before. I do believe that once the Leafs win 1 series, they will win the 2nd rd one as well because the mental block will be gone.

It's just funny because the scapegoats are all gone:

Babcock wasn't the only issue
Gardiner wasn't the only issue
Andersen wasn't the only issue

As LOD said, they got good goaltending...Campbell was top 4 in SV% and GAA these playoffs. They added defense to their defense in adding Brodie and dropping Barrie. They got depth scoring: Kerfoot 6 pts in 7 games, Spezza with 5 in 7, Galchenyuk with 4 in 6. But getting 5 combined pts from Simmonds, Thornton, Mikheyev, Hyman and Foligno certainly wasn't enough.

And who would have thought...14th worst PP but 4th best PK. Hak is safe!!!

Willy N showed up for sure. This defeat is falling at the feet of Marner, Matthews and Reilly. And up here, Marner is taking by far the most heat today on the sports shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad