Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LVIII: May-June edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
The Laughs are cursed for signing Tavares. He’s no longer what he once was. The signing screwed up their cap space since after that Nylander, Matthews and Marner all went for the over payment or else. They’d have been better off bit signing Tavares and using that cash to net some defense like Pieterangelo or that type of player. Their defense and goal situation is awful. It’s a tear apart situation for them in which they will most likely get fleeced.
It's pretty funny that since Tavares left the Islanders have had a better playoff record than the Leafs.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Watching him turn down a quick shot on Price to try and be fancy as Price and many Habs all got in his shooting lane... That too
I’m still in disbelief at that. He had price literally down on his hands and knees with a clear lane to the net from about three feet out.

I had to immediately rewind that to watch it again. Dude was shook.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The Laughs are cursed for signing Tavares. He’s no longer what he once was. The signing screwed up their cap space since after that Nylander, Matthews and Marner all went for the over payment or else. They’d have been better off bit signing Tavares and using that cash to net some defense like Pieterangelo or that type of player. Their defense and goal situation is awful. It’s a tear apart situation for them in which they will most likely get fleeced.

I've been preaching this since they signed JT, but no respect.
Balance is the key, TB figured that out, Toronto never did until recently, and ironically, this might have been their best team but the Hockey Gods frown upon them for hubris.

This is why I'm wary of going after big "names" in FA and trades, you're usually buying high with no upside but a lot of downside.
And what made it worse, they gave FA type deals to players with RFA years because of bruised egos due to the JT signing.

They got one great year out of JT, the last two years, ES PP/60 of 2.26, 2.63.
Compare to Couts 2.68/2.81, Voracek 2.43/2.78, Farabee 1.77/2.70, Giroux 1.82/2.41, JVR 2.30/2.41.
4 years left at $11M, and he's 31 years old next season.
He's improved defensively and is still a solid player, but that cap hit for a guy who may never approach elite status again.

Here's one reason Matthews and Marner came up short
Matthews ATOI 23:53, Marner 24:43, Hyman 22:51

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I don't know what they do. Seemingly in the last decade alone they've tried every known combination of hockey trope and building method.

Maybe it's time to fold the team.
Is there a setting that stops autorefresh on this site using my iPhone? Tired of losing posts.

Maybe the fans should stop giving a shit. That seems next up for here. You have loyal fans in places like here, Toronto, and Buffalo with horrible cupless streaks

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You gotta laugh at the HockeyGuys screaming about the lack of grit and leadership holding Toronto back in the playoffs only to blow a 3-1 series lead and get shutout in Game 7.

edit: [near] shutout.
And of course Pierre was on Toronto radio this morning (yes I’m that petty) saying the Leafs need a Kuraly, Lazar, Wagner line to win in the playoffs. PLEASE someone hire this man.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And of course Pierre was on Toronto radio this morning (yes I’m that petty) saying the Leafs need a Kuraly, Lazar, Wagner line to win in the playoffs. PLEASE someone hire this man.

They do need a "minute eating" 3rd line to take the load off their top forwards.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
The last time the Leafs won a series, I was in high school
I was in Grade 1. Of course, I was in Gr 10 the last time the Flyers won, which isn't much better.

I was actually hoping the Leafs would win last night but, let's face it, Marner is a boy among men. He's 24 and doesn't have any man strength.

He looks like a kid. Reminds me of when us old guys go play pick up, one guy brings his bantam-age kid to skate with us. The Hab D were throwing him around like a rag doll all night. Totally ineffective at $10M a year. Must be nice to be set for life and play like crap every time it matters.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

The reality is they were one shot away from winning the series a few times over the last few OT games.

So if they win this in game 6 OT, which they absolutely dominated, the narrative is "CUP IS OURS" instead of "BLOW IT UP."

Shows you how nonsensical sports are. So much randomness.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
One of the better ones I’ve seen.

853E814B-90F1-40B5-8ED8-658A5C7E9C31.png

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
One of the better ones I’ve seen.

View attachment 441764
I have to wonder how many of those people worked with COVID patients and just wanted a break from watching rooms full of people slowly suffocate and die only to watch a whole hockey franchise slowly suffocate and die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad