Confirmed with Link: Mironov signs 2 year entry-level contract

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I wasn't referring to his chances of playing in the NHL. I was referring to him looking for some form of guarantee of at least getting a look in the NHL, in order to leave the KHL, and possibly miss the Olympics.

Doubtful he wants to come over if he thinks there's a chance he'll be stuck in the AHL all year making peanuts.

Butcher is probably looking for similar guarantees, and that puts the Avs in a bit of a bind. They both have leverage, and the Avs don't like giving out guarantees.

He will not have needed a guarantee. He will come in and play, meanwhile Butcher goes on whatever team's AHL squad.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This is definitely exciting news. Regardless of how good or bad we are next year, it should be enjoyable to at least watch Jost, Mironov, Rantanen, and Zadorov continue to develop further next year. Potentially adding Compher, Greer, Bigras to that list as well.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
This is definitely exciting news. Regardless of how good or bad we are next year, it should be enjoyable to at least watch Jost, Mironov, Rantanen, and Zadorov continue to develop further next year. Potentially adding Compher, Greer, Bigras to that list as well.

Meloche might be fighting for a spot in lineup too.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He will not have needed a guarantee. He will come in and play, meanwhile Butcher goes on whatever team's AHL squad.

As of now the Avs have EJ, Barrie, Zadorov, Beauchemin, Wiercioch, Barberio, and Lindholm who all finished the year on the team. Not to mention Bigras and Boikov vying for a job out of camp.

If you're Mironov, you're looking at that group of 9 defenseman, plus potentially Butcher, that you have to compete with. Not to mention the Avs might go out and add a UFA D.

I have very little doubt he makes the team out of camp, but he's looking for some form of guarantee of at least getting his games played bonus, to risk losing all that money, and shot at playing for his country in the Olympics.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
As of now the Avs have EJ, Barrie, Zadorov, Beauchemin, Wiercioch, Barberio, and Lindholm who all finished the year on the team. Not to mention Bigras and Boikov vying for a job out of camp.

If you're Mironov, you're looking at that group of 9 defenseman, plus potentially Butcher, that you have to compete with. Not to mention the Avs might go out and add a UFA D.

He's looking for some form of guarantee of at least getting his games played bonus, to risk losing all that money, and shot at playing for his country in the Olympics.

Ehh... For one, Wiercioch is gone, free agent. Also, did you read the list of names you wrote down?

Dumpster-Fire.jpg

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Ehh... For one, Wiercioch is gone, free agent. Also, did you read the list of names you wrote down?

Wiercioch is an RFA. There has been no comment on if he'll return.

Mironov has no idea who they'll bring in during free agency, or which RFA's they'll let go, or who will get claimed in expansion, or who or how many D men the Avs get back for Duchene.

EJ, Barrie, Z, and Beauchemin would all be on the starting roster if they're here. That means all it would take is Bigras and Lindholm to outperform Mironov in camp, to bump him from the starting 6. That's certainly possible.

Then the Avs are looking at keeping a 22 year old who's never played in NA sitting in the stands, instead of getting playing time in the AHL. When they could potentially just use Wiercioch and Barberio for that #7 and #8 role. You really think the Avs haven't proven they'd lean towards sending him to the AHL?

Not to mention they could add a free UFA defenseman. And/or they could trade Duchene for one or two D men and not give any up.

Then there's Butcher in the same exact situation.

You really think Mironov and Butcher aren't looking for some form of guarantee? Neither one has to sign with the Avs. It has to be in their best interest.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
It's not that I don't think he'll be looking for a guarantee, it's that I trust him enough not to question him making the team in some form at this time.

Butcher might as well look for Bigfoot for all I care.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Obviously, he knows he has to earn his spot on the team. I think the interview makes it clear that he knows it's up to him to actually make the starting roster. He does, however, seem very confident that he can earn that spot, which is fine, and I think even justified, but that's not the same thing as him thinking it's going to be handed to him.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Obviously, he knows he has to earn his spot on the team. I think the interview makes it clear that he knows it's up to him to actually make the starting roster. He does, however, seem very confident that he can earn that spot, which is fine, and I think even justified, but that's not the same thing as him thinking it's going to be handed to him.

Thank you for reading my article

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Mironov comes across very polished in his answers. Like he is getting ready for the combine and has had an agent since he was 16.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I believe there is a type of guarantee to be on the roster sooner than later, he needs to adapt to the smaller risk size and the style of play. He will likely start in the AHL to get his minutes rather be buried on he 3rd or 4th lines. He might be buried further if another D arrives via trade or UFA. Maybe a mid-season or injury replacement to get him ready, but he will likely permanent in 2019.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He is RFA. But I don't think he's back either.

I think a lot will depend on their return for Duchene if they trade him at the draft.

I can see them bringing him back for insurance. I'm not a fan of his at all, but he is kinda what you want in a #7/8. If they bring in a better UFA or trade for more than one D man, they can always send him down since he's not making that much.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think a lot will depend on their return for Duchene if they trade him at the draft.

I can see them bringing him back for insurance. I'm not a fan of his at all, but he is kinda what you want in a #7/8. If they bring in a better UFA or trade for more than one D man, they can always send him down since he's not making that much.

They couldn't even make themselves play him for a month. That's what they need to stop doing is adding these bottom of the roster slugs. Insurance is what the AHL and callups is for.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
They couldn't even make themselves play him for a month. That's what they need to stop doing is adding these bottom of the roster slugs. Insurance is what the AHL and callups is for.

Yea but the AHL callups are in the AHL. The insurance is making sure you have enough guys to fill the AHL callup roles, and the #7/8 roles on the Avs. Having someone like Wiercioch that can fill either role is where the insurance comes in.

The Avs always like two depth defenseman they use as healthy scratches, and you don't want a young guy for that. Unless it's just for a few games. If they have guys like Mironov or Lindholm in the lineup, they'll want a guy past his development years for the #7/8 roles. Guys like Barberio and Wiercioch kinda fit that mold.

I think they'll either use them, or they have plans for a new vet UFA to take that role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad