Confirmed with Link: Mironov signs 2 year entry-level contract

EurolancheDavid

Update:

The team released it now.

Andrei Mironov will likely be a member of the Colorado Avalanche defensive corps next season, Eurolanche can confirm. Yesterday, the Russian media quoted the general manager of Andrei’s current team, Dynamo Moscow, saying Andrei would be granted the option to opt out of the final year of his contract with the team in order to join the Avalanche next season. Earlier this year, Dynamo's press director confirmed to Eurolanche the team will release Andrei from his contract should he receive an offer from the Avalanche.

According to our latest information, the Avalanche organization is highly interested in Andrei Mironov and an entry level contract is currently on the table. „We are currently waiting on the termination of his contract with Dynamo. The Colorado Avalanche organization fully understands the situation. Once we he’ll be released, a deal could be signed. It may happen as soon as next week, when I’ll meet with Andrei at the World Championship,” said Daniel Milstein, Mironov’s agent.

We asked Daniel if anything could stand in the way of a deal with the Avs when his current employer terminates his current contract. He answered with a resolute “No”. When we take a look at the GM’s quotes from yesterday, it’s more than clear the Avalanche will have a new defenseman next season.

Eurolanche met with Andrei Mironov this February and did an interview with him. At that time, Andrei wasn’t certain about his future, as he had – and still has – a valid contract in the KHL. „I don’t know. I will make a decision during the summer,” said Mironov to Eurolanche.com. He later admitted to his dream being to play in the NHL.

Ultimately, Mironov didn’t say if he would play in the AHL if the Avalanche would send him down. These and other details of his future contract remain unknown. However, we can only guess he would certainly want a spot in the NHL, as roster he’s coming from the KHL, the world’s second-best ice hockey league, where he played big minutes and was a key member of his team.

Moreover, we can only speculate if Mironov’s arrival to Denver may have anything to do with the ongoing contract negotiations with Hobey Baker Award winner Will Butcher.

Last edited by a moderator:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Mironov made team Russia for the WC so that's where the media/quote came from.

Anyway, thanks for the update. Hopefully he gets the release from Dynamo. I'm sure $ is involved there.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Moreover, we can only speculate if Mironov’s arrival to Denver may have anything to do with the ongoing contract negotiations with Hobey Baker Award winner Will Butcher.

Wonder how these tie together...

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What's Mironov ceiling? I have zero expectation.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'd say top-4 shutdown defender. He reminds me a lot of Kasparaitis.

I loved Darius. Wouldn't mind having a player like him on our blue-line again. The biggest problem I had with Kasparaitis' short tenure with the AVs was that the AVs have a way of taking mean players and turning them into kittens. His first few games, he was hitting hard and then slowly his game changed. God, I hated Jacques Cloutier.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I loved Darius. Wouldn't mind having a player like him on our blue-line again. The biggest problem I had with Kasparaitis' short tenure with the AVs was that the AVs have a way of taking mean players and turning them into kittens. His first few games, he was hitting hard and then slowly his game changed. God, I hated Jacques Cloutier.

With how Bednar was essentially demanding Zadorov destroy people, I'm not sure this will be an issue. I do agree though, even under Roy he wanted this team to play nice.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think they do, Butcher would be going to the AHL. He's not going to find many teams where they aren't bringing in other defensive prospects.

I imagine both Mironov and Butcher are looking for some NHL games played and bonus guarantees. We all know how much the Avs love giving those out. Seems unlikely they'd give them out for both, and they probably think Mironov is more NHL ready.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I imagine both Mironov and Butcher are looking for some NHL games played and bonus guarantees. We all know how much the Avs love giving those out. Seems unlikely they'd give them out for both, and they probably think Mironov is more NHL ready.

Butcher won't get major guarantees like that anywhere. He's gunna start in the AHL (next to Meloche?) and maybe get a look towards the end of the season whether he signs with us or some other NHL club. So if he's not going to sign without a guarantee to start in the NHL, he's not going to be signing a contract for a while.

Mironov is different, he's been excelling in professional hockey for a while and is pretty close to done developing...or at least evolving parts of his game, from here he'll gain experience and improve through better understanding the game, but his skillset isn't likely to change dramatically moving forward...so should be ready to step into a bottom pairing role if he can adjust to the smaller rink quickly enough and is good enough. The only reason for him to see AHL team would be if he's really struggling with adapting to the smaller ice & the culture shock but needs PT to keep his confidence from cratering. He doesn't need time to adjust to playing against men, fill out his frame, work on his all-around game without limiting his offense, learn to handle a bigger role with the puck without hurting the NHL club, improve his skating, etc. Plus he's been a RD for most of his career, so he's not even competing for the same spot.

Lindholm's development seems like it'd block Butcher much more than Mironov coming over, ditto Boikov. Bigras should start with the NHL club and if he can't progress into a middle pairing guy fast enough that could block Butcher as well; but Mironov is a very different piece to fill a different hole in our roster.

If all goes well we have our Radko Gudas, if not then hopefully we at least get a quality third pairing guy like Brad Stuart was before he broke.

Andrei Mironov: "Of course, I'm going to the rookie camp. As this season ends, I'll go straight away, I've never been to Denver. I will look at the city, settle down. Most likely, I'll go all summer.

https://www.sports.ru/hockey/1050876891.html

Love hearing this. Getting adjusted to living in the US, and getting to know his team-mates is the biggest thing for him to transition quickly.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I really like how the Avs have been pushing for their rookies to stay in Denver longer during the summer to work with the team and it's resources. Much better than them going off on their own and trying to get themselves physically ready for the NHL.

Definitely a development improvement they've introduced the last few years.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He watched the team last season and is still coming over? That takes some courage.

I have zero expectations for him but I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Butcher won't get major guarantees like that anywhere. He's gunna start in the AHL (next to Meloche?) and maybe get a look towards the end of the season whether he signs with us or some other NHL club. So if he's not going to sign without a guarantee to start in the NHL, he's not going to be signing a contract for a while.

Mironov is different, he's been playing professional hockey for a while and is pretty close to done developing, so should be ready to step into a bottom pairing role if he can adjust to the smaller rink quickly enough. The only reason for him to see AHL team would be if he's really struggling with the smaller ice. He doesn't need time to adjust to playing against men, fill out his frame, work on his game without limiting his offense, improve his skating, etc. Plus he's been a RD for most of his career, so he's not even competing for the same spot.

Lindholm's development seems like it'd block Butcher much more than Mironov coming over, ditto Boikov. Bigras should start with the NHL club and if he can't progress into a middle pairing guy fast enough that could block Butcher as well; but Mironov is a very different piece to fill a different hole in our roster.

If all goes well we have our Radko Gudas, if not then hopefully we at least get a quality third pairing guy like Brad Stuart was before he broke.

He may not be looking for a major guarantee. The Avs don't like giving out any guarantees. He could be looking for just 5 games like Jost got to get his $25k bonus. He could be looking for a 10 or 10+ games played bonus. He could be looking for 11 games, just to keep his contract from sliding.

Whatever he's looking for, there are many teams out there more comfortable giving out guarantees than the Avs. The question is how much will both sides bend in what they're comfortable with.

Unfortunately, Butcher has never given me the impression he wants to bend much. Now that he got the Hobey Baker, he probably thinks he doesn't need to. Lindholm and Mironov probably make the Avs think they don't need to either.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
He watched the team last season and is still coming over? That takes some courage.

:laugh: that's the point that took my attention too. common sense would be for players to be running from this org, not willing to come here. looks like the guy appreciates some challenges. and I like the sound of that. :yo:

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I've seen a few of his hits. Is he the type of guy that will drop the gloves and back it up, like Z. Or is he the Emelin type that will hide behind the linesman?

Regardless it will be good for the team to have some passion back in it. A big change for the Flames and Backlund this season was Tkachuk stirring the pot and him being forced into a more physical role. It makes everyone play different. The team won't be able to sleep walk through game if he lines up Perron for a hipcheck.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I'd say top-4 shutdown defender. He reminds me a lot of Kasparaitis.

A few months ago I read people thought Mironov would be a third pairing. IIRC, I read he's basically a stay at home D-man, not afraid to hit or stand someone up. Very physical. Isn't really an offensive threat although he does have a shot when he chooses to shoot.

I'm guessing we'll see something like this line-up at some point in the season. One puck carrier for each pair.

Zadorov - EJ (Boom Brothers - B2)
Bigras - Barrie
Barberio - Mironov
Beauchemin & someone else

Frankly I don't really care if Zadorov gets one stupid penalty a game so long as he makes his opponent pay for it. What annoys me are the ******** calls against him. I suspect we'll see the same with Mironov at least for next season.

BTW, if Mironov can actually crack and stay in the D line-up then shouldn't we at least acknowledge that someone in the Avs organization actually made a shrewd move when it comes to D? When did they pick Mironov? Fourth round or later?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
A few months ago I read people thought Mironov would be a third pairing. IIRC, I read he's basically a stay at home D-man, not afraid to hit or stand someone up. Very physical. Isn't really an offensive threat although he does have a shot when he chooses to shoot.

I'm guessing we'll see something like this line-up at some point in the season. One puck carrier for each pair.

Zadorov - EJ (Boom Brothers - B2)
Bigras - Barrie
Barberio - Mironov
Beauchemin & someone else

Frankly I don't really care if Zadorov gets one stupid penalty a game so long as he makes his opponent pay for it. What annoys me are the ******** calls against him. I suspect we'll see the same with Mironov at least for next season.

BTW, if Mironov can actually crack and stay in the D line-up then shouldn't we at least acknowledge that someone in the Avs organization actually made a shrewd move when it comes to D? When did they pick Mironov? Fourth round or later?

Bottom pair is his likely NHL future, but if we're talking ceiling, he could be top 4. Think Hjalmarsson-lite if everything goes perfectly. But again, that's his ceiling, it's more likely that he'll be a reliable 5/6 guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad