Minnesota Wild General Discussion XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So the roster for the scrimmage posted on Russo’s Twitter shows Suter-Dumba is our first D pair. Is that what they did the first scrimmage too? I feel like we did that last year too and it did not go well if my memory is correct. Hopefully this time around is better.

Yes that's what they did Friday. I bet part of the reason it didn't go well last year is because Dumba wasn't 100% himself. It makes sense though, if it works out, because Brodin-Spurgeon is the best shutdown pair we can make, and Suter-Dumba can get "2nd pair" minutes, making their lives easier defensively, allowing them to be better offensively.

Reactions: pfunk

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So the roster for the scrimmage posted on Russo’s Twitter shows Suter-Dumba is our first D pair. Is that what they did the first scrimmage too? I feel like we did that last year too and it did not go well if my memory is correct. Hopefully this time around is better.
That's also what they did prior to Dumba's injury.
When Dumba had his best all around season, he was next to Suter.

If Dumba refinds that form, that is exactly where you want him.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

mbhN2t.gif

Feel really bad for the player and the team... Been playing his whole life to get in NHL.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yes that's what they did Friday. I bet part of the reason it didn't go well last year is because Dumba wasn't 100% himself. It makes sense though, if it works out, because Brodin-Spurgeon is the best shutdown pair we can make, and Suter-Dumba can get "2nd pair" minutes, making their lives easier defensively, allowing them to be better offensively.
Every time that they have scrapped the Dumba/Suter and Brodin/Spurgeon pairs, the main reason has been Brodin/Spurgeon getting slapped

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I really don't think Greenway is going to be on the team next season. We'll see how he does once the meaningful games start, but it doesn't seem like he has that step forward so far here in camp.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Every time that they have scrapped the Dumba/Suter and Brodin/Spurgeon pairs, the main reason has been Brodin/Spurgeon getting slapped
Lol. That's certainly not true. One out of the last 5 seasons does Suter-Dumba have better results than Brodin-Spurgeon in the limited minutes those pairs have been together. The one season they have better results, brodin-spurgeon had an 85% save percentage in the 60 ish minutes they were together.

They never have better underlying numbers.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017

I was so pro-Rossi too and wrote about it here also with y'all. Was treally waiting to see him exploding on all of us. The kid's got game like spike lee do. Interesting too see how long he'll be out. Jumping in from nothing... its also not the easiest way to do it. Other men are strong and driven, and especially, they are playing the gezame. Rossi will get there, now its only bout that time. He finna do it alright, y'all see :clap:

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I have serious concerns about our centers. I don't think the wild have a single top6 center (Rossi might be but we have to wait). at least in previous years we had one in Eric Staal. I'm not writing off the season and still think players will preform better in regular season. Lets just say the wings will have to be the ones pulling the slack for the forwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57special

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I have serious concerns about our centers. I don't think the wild have a single top6 center (Rossi might be but we have to wait). at least in pervious years we had one in Eric Staal. I'm not writing off the season and still think players will preform better in regular season. Lets just say the wings will have to be the ones pulling the slack for the forwards.

The Staal trade looks worse and worse by the day.

Reactions: 57special

pfunk

Jul 1, 2019
I have serious concerns about our centers. I don't think the wild have a single top6 center (Rossi might be but we have to wait). at least in pervious years we had one in Eric Staal. I'm not writing off the season and still think players will preform better in regular season. Lets just say the wings will have to be the ones pulling the slack for the forwards.

agree completely. After the scrimmage last night I was thinking how much we are depending on Rossi reaching the potential we think he has. It’s imperative he is the real deal for our future. Either that or we hope Dumba has a big resurgence and we can trade him for a very good center.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Spurgeon, Brodin, Kap, Fiala all stood out in a good way. Kahkonen, Parise, Suter, Dumba, JEE, Greenway, Foligno all looked decent. Hartman, Sturm, Soucy, too.

Pateryn looked surprisingly frisky, and the meanest I've seen him.

Rask has no business taking the 4C spot from Sturm. If he was making 700 K I suspect that he'd be down in Iowa.

Hunt looked better than any of the AHL Dmen, IMO, wi the possible exception of Addison. Addison looks smaller on the ice than Hunt, and his shot seems pretty weak. I do like his passing and decision making though.

I know it's really early,but the lack of talent in the top 6 is frightening. Anyway who thought that Bonino, Johansson, and Bjugstad were anything other than bottom six players were kidding themselves.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is it possible that Guerin traded Staal so we wouldn't be mediocre this year, but flat out bad, allowing him to trade off players at the TD, making us even worse, and getting an even higher draft pick come The draft?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Is it possible that Guerin traded Staal so we wouldn't be mediocre this year, but flat out bad, allowing him to trade off players at the TD, making us even worse, and getting an even higher draft pick come The draft?

If he wanted to be bad, he wouldn't have traded for Bonino.

Bonino is better than Staal at 5v5 at this point. He traded Staal for a variety of reasons. Speed, effort, and probably most importantly Staal would have blocked any trade deadline moves.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
The Athletic released their top 100 players list, broken up into Tiers (as opposed to strict 1-100 ranking). Ranking was started using Dom's model, and then manual input from 20 executives/coaches/analysts in the NHL were used to alter it.

Wild were tied for 13th with 4 players on the list (we'll tied for 7th with 4 players on the list, but 6 teams had a player in a higher tier.

Spurgeon was the highest as a 3C tier. Suter/Brodin were in 4B, with Fiala in 4C.

Interestingly, Fiala wasn't on the initial list at all, it was the manual input that got him included.

Fiala has real star potential after his late-season surge last year, but he needs to sustain it for longer than 20 games. He wasn’t on our initial list, but one executive was adamant he be included.

“Squeeze in Fiala,” said the executive. “He was carrying that team. He’s their go-to guy.”

I assume thats because Dom's model uses the prior 3 seasons (weighted towards the most recent season) as input, and Fiala wasn't terribly good in seasons 2 and 3 used.

NHL_TIERS_INFOGRAPHIC_WHITE.jpg

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Not going to lie, I kinda like the plan to move suter down a line and try to prolong his years of effectiveness by giving his body a little break as he ages. Hopefully it works out.

Wonder if Suter realizes he was demoted to 2nd pairing, and not Dumba was promoted to 1st...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The Athletic released their top 100 players list, broken up into Tiers (as opposed to strict 1-100 ranking). Ranking was started using Dom's model, and then manual input from 20 executives/coaches/analysts in the NHL were used to alter it.

Wild were tied for 13th with 4 players on the list (we'll tied for 7th with 4 players on the list, but 6 teams had a player in a higher tier.

Spurgeon was the highest as a 3C tier. Suter/Brodin were in 4B, with Fiala in 4C.

Interestingly, Fiala wasn't on the initial list at all, it was the manual input that got him included.

I assume thats because Dom's model uses the prior 3 seasons (weighted towards the most recent season) as input, and Fiala wasn't terribly good in seasons 2 and 3 used.

NHL_TIERS_INFOGRAPHIC_WHITE.jpg
Link please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad