Minnesota Wild General Discussion XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Again, why can't they just suspend Dubnyk? He's made enough money at this point and I believe they can work something out with the insurance. It'd save some money in cap for Minnesota, and really, he could probably day trip it down to Iowa, report and then come back? I don't know if he has to actually stay in Iowa after reporting. Does he actually have to suit up? Like couldn't it be a mutual agreement?

Dubnyk has to decide what is more important; the NHL or his wife? And I'm going to guess his wife. You can tell that Dubnyk has really declined this year. Is it because he's worried about his wife? Or the stress of taking care of his wife and kids? Who knows, but personal accountability would be to tell the team that he can't focus on the game and that he needs to have some personal time away (suspension or something).

How do you think the vets feel if Dubnyk costs them a few games and they don't make the playoffs because he wants his cake and eat it to.

I think they can empathize with him and are there to support him.

I agree that Dubnyk has declined and he will probably be gone after the season. The Wild aren't against the cap and there is no benefit gained by suspending him, only scorn from his teammates and fans who think that would be a dick move.

It's easy for us to sit out here and proclaim what the Wild should or shouldn't do in this situation....we aren't in that room with him. My guess is that if you were his teammate, you wouldn't feel the same way....and if you did feel that way, you would be an outcast within the dressing room.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Again, why can't they just suspend Dubnyk? He's made enough money at this point and I believe they can work something out with the insurance. It'd save some money in cap for Minnesota, and really, he could probably day trip it down to Iowa, report and then come back? I don't know if he has to actually stay in Iowa after reporting. Does he actually have to suit up? Like couldn't it be a mutual agreement?
If he's not suiting up or even being asked to report what's the point in sending him down? The cap/money implications would be trivial, especially when we don't need the cap space.

I really don't care either way, it's just bizarre to invent a need to send him down when one doesn't seem to exist.

Reactions: SupremeNachos

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think they can empathize with him and are there to support him.

Great, they can do that after the game.

I agree that Dubnyk has declined and he will probably be gone after the season. The Wild aren't against the cap and there is no benefit gained by suspending him, only scorn from his teammates and fans who think that would be a dick move.

So, you'd rather play him? Or do you have Stalock just play all the games and have Dubnyk ride the bench? Until the roster freeze is finished, you can't call up Kahkonen. Furthermore, you can't just tell a player to go home without having a backup on roster. So, what do you do?

It's easy for us to sit out here and proclaim what the Wild should or shouldn't do in this situation....we aren't in that room with him. My guess is that if you were his teammate, you wouldn't feel the same way....and if you did feel that way, you would be an outcast within the dressing room.

If you worked with someone that made you miss a deadline (and potentially more money and a chance at a bigger reward), you'd be rightfully mad. You'd probably empathize with their situation, but probably tell them to step away. I've worked at places where ultimately, even if a person is sick or taking care of a sick person, they are either suspended or fired from their job (FMLA may help, but that's pretty much a suspension as they don't get paid after using up all their vacation/sick time).

If he's not suiting up or even being asked to report what's the point in sending him down? The cap/money implications would be trivial, especially when we don't need the cap space.

I said he reports, but doesn't suit up. A player can't simply step away from the game and the team can't just not have him on the roster without suspending him. Sending him down, he gets his money and doesn't have to worry about anything. Wild don't have the issue with suspending him, or trying to navigate LTIR (or IR if that is the case). Because I don't think Minnesota can tell Dubnyk to simply go home without assigning him somewhere.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Great, they can do that after the game.

So, you'd rather play him? Or do you have Stalock just play all the games and have Dubnyk ride the bench? Until the roster freeze is finished, you can't call up Kahkonen. Furthermore, you can't just tell a player to go home. So, what do you do?

If you worked with someone that made you miss a deadline (and potentially more money and a chance at a bigger reward), you'd be rightfully mad. You'd probably empathize with their situation, but probably tell them to step away. I've worked at places where ultimately, even if a person is sick or taking care of a sick person, they are either suspended or fired from their job (FMLA may help, but that's pretty much a suspension as they don't get paid after using up all their vacation/sick time).

Are you really interested in seeing this team make the playoffs and get tossed in the first round?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Are you really interested in seeing this team make the playoffs and get tossed in the first round?

It isn't up to me, it's up to the players and the owner - especially the veterans. Koivu, Parise and Suter may be very interested in making the playoffs as this maybe Koivu's last horrah for this team. Leipold also isn't interested in sitting out of the playoffs for long. Guerin maybe doing one thing and saying another, so it's hard to tell him with.

BTW could Dubnyk just retire?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I said he reports, but doesn't suit up. A player can't simply step away from the game and the team can't just not have him on the roster without suspending him. Sending him down, he gets his money and doesn't have to worry about anything. Wild don't have the issue with suspending him, or trying to navigate LTIR (or IR if that is the case). Because I don't think Minnesota can tell Dubnyk to simply go home without assigning him somewhere.
This is such a non-issue :laugh:

They'll call up Kahkonen and he and Stalock will get the starts while he's up. I'm sure whatever they do with Dubnyk in the meantime will be satisfactory to both the player and the team. If he's headed to a buy-out it just seems like they'd throw him a bone by letting him stay with the team for the time being since he seems to value that. I truly do not care either way, though.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
- Doug Weight will may be involved with in some way

Russo said on his pod yesterday that he doesn't see BG hiring Weight as a coach that he knows he would have to potentially fire down the road being that they are like best friends, but that he could be an adviser or on the staff in some fashion. So this must be common sentiment.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
This is such a non-issue :laugh:

I don't think this is a non-issue. Guerin's firing of Boudreau, his trading of Zucker were right after some monumental missteps by both. Boudreau's game against New York was disastrous and he was let go shortly after. Zucker was traded after being demoted to the 4th line. If Guerin is true to his word, he would do something about Dubnyk.

They'll call up Kahkonen and he and Stalock will get the starts while he's up. I'm sure whatever they do with Dubnyk in the meantime will be satisfactory to both the player and the team. If he's headed to a buy-out it just seems like they'd throw him a bone by letting him stay with the team for the time being since he seems to value that. I truly do not care either way, though.

When? They play tomorrow and Sunday. So is Kahkonen coming up tomorrow? Tuesday? When?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't think this is a non-issue. Guerin's firing of Boudreau, his trading of Zucker were right after some monumental missteps by both. Boudreau's game against New York was disastrous and he was let go shortly after. Zucker was traded after being demoted to the 4th line. If Guerin is true to his word, he would do something about Dubnyk.

When? They play tomorrow and Sunday. So is Kahkonen coming up tomorrow? Tuesday? When?
There's clearly some extra meta-narrative here that I'm not in on.

Dubnyk is a side note in all of this. The point of calling up Kahkonen wouldn't be to punish Dubnyk, it would be to see how Kahkonen handles NHL games and evaluate if he's an option next year.

There's no indication of exactly when it will happen, just that there's been discussion internally about it happening at some point.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
There's clearly some extra meta-narrative here that I'm not in on.

“If there is quit, there will be more trades,” he said Tuesday. “I wholeheartedly expect this team to compete for a playoff spot. We are right there. If there’s any signs of anybody taking their foot off the gas, that will be an indication (of what I have to do).”

“If players are hurt by this, then maybe they’re not the players that we should have here,” Guerin said. “Just like I said the other day with the Jason Zucker trade, this is something where I fully expect our players to show up at game time and be ready to go.”

Dubnyk is a side note in all of this. The point of calling up Kahkonen wouldn't be to punish Dubnyk, it would be to see how Kahkonen handles NHL games and evaluate if he's an option next year.

Guerin is either talking out of the side of his mouth, holds different players accountable or just doesn't care. I don't think he's telling the truth about trying to make the playoffs, he is just trying to appease the masses. But the past few weeks, he has mentioned players have to be held accountable and it's been bantered that removing Boudreau makes the players more accountable.

Is he going to hold Dubnyk accountable? He's seen enough of him this year and he almost cost the Wild the game last night. You'd think his body of work this year, Guerin would have gone - he's done and done something about it. We have one - maybe two capable goaltenders in the AHL and Stalock has been decent.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Guerin is either talking out of the side of his mouth, holds different players accountable or just doesn't care. I don't think he's telling the truth about trying to make the playoffs, he is just trying to appease the masses. But the past few weeks, he has mentioned players have to be held accountable and it's been bantered that removing Boudreau makes the players more accountable.

Is he going to hold Dubnyk accountable? He's seen enough of him this year and he almost cost the Wild the game last night. You'd think his body of work this year, Guerin would have gone - he's done and done something about it. We have one - maybe two capable goaltenders in the AHL and Stalock has been decent.
In terms of accountability, Dubnyk's already effectively lost his net to Stalock. He's also probably lost his job for next year and is unlikely to get another one. Playing him last night was a head-scratcher, but that's the coach's decision not the GM's. It's possible Evason wanted them to split games because it's a road trip, but I really have no idea.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

I would bank on Geurin be pro tank and playing Dub is a safe bet to lose more games. letting Khaki ride the AHL playoff train might be better than pulling him up now to miss the playoffs.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Dubnyk. was pretty good last night honestly.

ANd.....kkeep Fiala, Parise and Staal. together.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I’m excited for Kaprizov and possibly Trochek because I feel like most of the guys on this team can’t really keep up with Fiala and make plays at the speed he plays at when he’s on. They tend to hold him back.

This must be how Webster feels about Zuccarello.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
In terms of accountability, Dubnyk's already effectively lost his net to Stalock. He's also probably lost his job for next year and is unlikely to get another one. Playing him last night was a head-scratcher, but that's the coach's decision not the GM's. It's possible Evason wanted them to split games because it's a road trip, but I really have no idea.

Russo mentioned traditionally with Parent's trips both goalies will get to play in front of their parent.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Even you cancel out the high-slot tip with that late pad save on Eriksson, I can't remember controlling a single rebound last night. Everything was still an adventure.

I only watched the first period, but every single shot led to a big rebound that the defense was luckily on top of. Our defense bailed him out completely last night (based on my one period of viewing).

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I only watched the first period, but every single shot led to a big rebound that the defense was luckily on top of. Our defense bailed him out completely last night (based on my one period of viewing).

There was one shot, can't remember which period, that came from his left outside the dot and basically trickled in on him (on the ice). For whatever reason, he popped it up into the air in front of him and a crashing Vancouver player almost knocked it back towards him.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
There was one shot, can't remember which period, that came from his left outside the dot and basically trickled in on him (on the ice). For whatever reason, he popped it up into the air in front of him and a crashing Vancouver player almost knocked it back towards him.
his goal that he let in that rolled through where he had his stick back was enough for me to see he wasn't that good. he knew it was going through had his stick back and it looked like his controller died.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
After the second shootout goal, I was sure the third attempt would leave him spiraling completely nude past center ice as pieces of his equipment spun off in centrifugal search of shadows to hide their shame. He let me down. I don't call that pretty good.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
I have a hard time bashing players like Dubnyk. Guy comes in as a flier, takes control of the net, plays a ton, wins a ton, and seems to be genuinely a good person. He’s going through a tough period of his life at home and on the ice. Unfortunate.

Calling for him to be sent down is silly. Buyout, okay maybe if you can get a quality vet and have KK backup. But if you’re planing to have have Stalock and KK split the net next year, sorry, not going to cut it.

The Wild made their bed at the goaltender position. I have a difficult time criticizing Dubnyk at the tail end of his otherwise quality Minnesota career.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
I have a hard time bashing players like Dubnyk. Guy comes in as a flier, takes control of the net, plays a ton, wins a ton, and seems to be genuinely a good person. He’s going through a tough period of his life at home and on the ice. Unfortunate.

Calling for him to be sent down is silly. Buyout, okay maybe if you can get a quality vet and have KK backup. But if you’re planing to have have Stalock and KK split the net next year, sorry, not going to cut it.

The Wild made their bed at the goaltender position. I have a hard time criticizing Dubnyk at the tail end of his otherwise quality Minnesota career.
How is KK/ Stalock any worse than a Dubnyk combination

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
How is KK/ Stalock any worse than a Dubnyk combination

Because anything with Stalock and an unproven NHL goaltender still feels like one of the worst tandems in the league unless KK controls the net and becomes a top 15 starter. I find that unlikely.

The Wild very much are where they are right now because of their goaltending. Stalock and KK next year does absolutely nothing to address that. We can say how badly this team needs a high level center but the reality is they need a tandem that can even approach mediocrity, at the very least, much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad