Minnesota Wild General Discussion XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

josiesque

Oct 15, 2015
Fiala giving away a stick before the game vs Vancouver. Good to see him recognised by the wild fans.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I wonder when BG is going to pull the plug on Dubnyk and bury him in the AHL or buy him out. He almost cost the game last night with that dumb move in the shootout against Miller? I thought he was going to make players more accountable.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I wonder when BG is going to pull the plug on Dubnyk and bury him in the AHL or buy him out. He almost cost the game last night with that dumb move in the shootout against Miller? I thought he was going to make players more accountable.

He'll be bought out as soon as the buyout window is open this offseason. Only 2.5 million in cash left on his deal after the season, so the buyout is only a 833 k cap hit for two seasons. Very reasonable, and opens up 1.6 million in capspace.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
He'll be bought out as soon as the buyout window is open this offseason. Only 2.5 million in cash left on his deal after the season, so the buyout is only a 833 k cap hit for two seasons. Very reasonable, and opens up 1.6 million in capspace.

So are we looking at KK and Stalock splitting duty 50/50 next season?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think the evaluation period on that one's going to start in a few weeks. But if Kahkonen doesn't look ready there are always UFA goalies or trades.

UFAs
Holtby
Crawford
Lehner
Anderson
Markstrom
Greiss
Halak
Talbot
Khodobin
Dell
Kinkaid
Brossoit

Some guys that are bound to get stupid contracts and some guys that would be questionable as starters, but still upgrades on Dubnyk.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
My hope would be that Stalock is in the AHL and we bring in one of the 6 or so quality vets scheduled to be UFAs relatively cheaply to compliment Kappo. Crawford, Lehner, Greiss, Talbot or even bring Khudobin back.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think the evaluation period on that one's going to start in a few weeks.

My question is this; why can't we bring KK up and have him split with Stalock. Waive Dubnyk and move him to the AHL. If someone takes him, great - if not? Meh, he'll be bought out this summer if anything or we keep him in the AHL. However!, we bring up Dérek Baribeau and have him and Robison split time. Dubnyk gets to stay in the 'press box' (Minnesota) and gets paid to not do anything. He reports, but then gets scratched every night. Could that work? Or if he's in the press-box, he literally has to be in the press box?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
My question is this; why can't we bring KK up and have him split with Stalock. Waive Dubnyk and move him to the AHL. If someone takes him, great - if not? Meh, he'll be bought out this summer if anything or we keep him in the AHL. However!, we bring up Dérek Baribeau and have him and Robison split time. Dubnyk gets to stay in the 'press box' (Minnesota) and gets paid to not do anything. He reports, but then gets scratched every night. Could that work? Or if he's in the press-box, he literally has to be in the press box?
I haven't reviewed all the rules and stuff, but I think part of the logic behind waiting is that the roster limits lift after the trade deadline so it's easier to just carry three goalies. It spares Dubnyk the indignity and they probably want Robson getting the games down in Iowa over him anyway.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I haven't reviewed all the rules and stuff, but I think part of the logic behind waiting is that the roster limits lift after the trade deadline so it's easier to just carry three goalies. It spares Dubnyk the indignity and they probably want Robson getting the games down in Iowa over him anyway.

That's true - forgot about the roster lift.

However, does Dubnyk really need to be spared the indignity? He has really thrown some games and hasn't taken any accountability for why Minnesota is so bad this year? Maybe pop that ego and throw him on the waiver wire.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Care to provide any info?
31 Teams. 31 Thoughts. 31 Trades? | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca
It’s better if you listen more details
-On Boudreau firing coaching staff not the most harmonious group wasn’t set up for success in the first place Fenton
-Strong willed veterans bumped heads with Boudreau Parise ,Koivu and (Suter has a lot of pull
- Mentioned young kids playing well
-Wild have strong USA Hockey ties
-Brodin and Dumba biggest trade chips on market one may get traded or neither or getting traded
- Doug Weight will may be involved with in some way
There is way more said then that but that’s the most I can remember at this point

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
-On Boudreau firing coaching staff not the most harmonious group wasn’t set up for success in the first place Fenton

I mean Evason was hired over Anderson, which made Boudreau angry.

-Strong willed veterans bumped heads with Boudreau Parise ,Koivu and (Suter has a lot of pull

This was proven false by this board. They have no pull.

- Doug Weight will may be involved with in some way

Ugh.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
That's true - forgot about the roster lift.

However, does Dubnyk really need to be spared the indignity? He has really thrown some games and hasn't taken any accountability for why Minnesota is so bad this year? Maybe pop that ego and throw him on the waiver wire.

Yes, especially with the personal issues he's been dealing with. I don't see Dubnyk back with this team next season, but there's no need to send him down at this point either.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
This was proven false by this board. They have no pull.
They didn't mean that the veterans got Boudreau fired. Russo's been emphatic to the point of ranting that they weren't a factor in Guerin's decision.

There was a whole segment in the 31 Thoughts podcast about what's been going on with the Wild internally over the past two years. Part of that was a comment about Boudreau having to manage a locker room with some headstrong veterans that probably aren't ready to step back into supporting roles yet.

Also apparently there's been talk that Weight doesn't want to coach, which isn't disappointing to hear. Increasingly sounds like he might come on in a front office role, if at all.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Yes, especially with the personal issues he's been dealing with. I don't see Dubnyk back with this team next season, but there's no need to send him down at this point either.

Who cares about his personal issues? If he has personal issues, he should step away from the game and ask the team to suspend him for personal reasons. they could work out insurance and things like that. There is a LOT of reasons why they send down Dubnyk.

They didn't mean that the veterans got Boudreau fired. Russo's been emphatic to the point of ranting that they weren't a factor in Guerin's decision.

It's been said that the veterans haven't been a problem on this forum.

Also apparently there's been talk that Weight doesn't want to coach, which isn't disappointing to hear. Increasingly sounds like he might come on in a front office role, if at all.

That's better than coaching. He is an advisor.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
Friedman said:

We have the two biggest trade chips around. Dumba and Brodin.
Speaking with Exec. -- No one will know who Brodin is cause he doesn't put up a lot of points but is very solid in his own end and could envision him playing 15-20 years and people would still forget about how good he is. A minutes eater and plays defense the way many don't anymore.

Brodin's price tag is likely higher than Dumba.

47:47

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Friedman said:

We have the two biggest trade chips around. Dumba and Brodin.
Speaking with Exec. -- No one will know who Brodin is cause he doesn't put up a lot of points but is very solid in his own end and could envision him playing 15-20 years and people would still forget about how good he is. A minutes eater and plays defense the way many don't anymore.

Brodin's price tag is likely higher than Dumba.

47:47
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
https://looks.wtf/flipping-tables

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Who cares about his personal issues? If he has personal issues, he should step away from the game and ask the team to suspend him for personal reasons. they could work out insurance and things like that. There is a LOT of reasons why they send down Dubnyk.

The organization, coaching staff and teammates?

Reactions: SupremeNachos

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
This Podcast is quietly bashing Minnesota and praising the work Boudreau did. Fenton really screwed this team over - but Guerin appears to have not done any favors.

The organization, coaching staff and teammates?

But it's personal issues. If it is affecting the team, he should step away or Minnesota should suspend him. Remember Guerin's talk about personal accountability and players need to step up?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

It's been said that the veterans haven't been a problem on this forum.

That's better than coaching. He is an advisor.
Lots of things have been said on this forum, but I don't remember "veterans aren't a problem" being any kind of a consensus.

As for Dubnyk, there's simply no value in sending him down beyond maybe saving some cap money until this summer when he's likely bought out. They don't need him to play in Iowa, so why take him from his family when his wife is going through a major health issue? Just seems like an easy and magnanimous thing to do for a guy who's given a lot to the team, even if he hasn't cut it lately.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
But it's personal issues. If it is affecting the team, he should step away or Minnesota should suspend him. Remember Guerin's talk about personal accountability and players need to step up?

What does his wife's medical condition have to do with "personal accountability" and "stepping up"?? And remember, he did step away for a few weeks to be by his wife's side. No team would do to Dubnyk what you are suggesting.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
As for Dubnyk, there's simply no value in sending him down beyond maybe saving some cap money until this summer when he's likely bought out. They don't need him to play in Iowa, so why take him from his family when his wife is going through a major health issue? Just seems like an easy and magnanimous thing to do for a guy who's given a lot to the team, even if he hasn't cut it lately.

Again, why can't they just suspend Dubnyk? He's made enough money at this point and I believe they can work something out with the insurance. It'd save some money in cap for Minnesota, and really, he could probably day trip it down to Iowa, report and then come back? I don't know if he has to actually stay in Iowa after reporting. Does he actually have to suit up? Like couldn't it be a mutual agreement?

What does his wife's medical condition have to do with "personal accountability" and "stepping up"?? And remember, he did step away for a few weeks to be by his wife's side. No team would do to Dubnyk what you are suggesting.

Dubnyk has to decide what is more important; the NHL or his wife? And I'm going to guess his wife. You can tell that Dubnyk has really declined this year. Is it because he's worried about his wife? Or the stress of taking care of his wife and kids? Who knows, but personal accountability would be to tell the team that he can't focus on the game and that he needs to have some personal time away (suspension or something).

How do you think the vets feel if Dubnyk costs them a few games and they don't make the playoffs because he wants his cake and eat it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad