Minnesota Wild General Discussion XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I won’t argue but I’d be surprised if it’s someone else. Especially given the uncertainty of other players. Dumba could be traded, Kunin could be lost in the expansion draft, none of the NMC guys stand out to me

Why would Kunin be lost in the expansion draft? Parise (NMC), Zucc (NMC), JEE, Fiala That leaves 3 FWD spots open for Greenway, Kunin, Donato, Strum, Rask, and other random AHLers.

It'll be bad roster management to protect 4 d-men.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Why would Kunin be lost in the expansion draft? Parise (NMC), Zucc (NMC), JEE, Fiala That leaves 3 FWD spots open for Greenway, Kunin, Donato, Strum, Rask, and other random AHLers.

It'll be bad roster management to protect 4 d-men.
It’s a possibility, that’s why I said could. I’d like to see one of the d-men trades but who know we might have to protect what they bring back

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It’s a possibility, that’s why I said could. I’d like to see one of the d-men trades but who know we might have to protect what they bring back

I don't see MN bringing in (trade or FA signing) 3 more FWDs that will need protection in the next 17 months.

I also don't see Kuinin getting the "C" next year either. He hasn't done enough to deserve it yet (imo). He's not McDavid.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, nothing against Kunin, but he would be way down the list of possible Captains on the team. I know Suter gets a lot of grief here, but all he's done here has been to perform at a consistently high level, year after year. I have no idea how he is regarded in the locker room, but he would seem to deserve the letter.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Elephant in the room time. Mikko has not been good this year. I don't know if it's physical, mental, or both, but the offensive output is non existent, and he is no longer the shutdown guy he used to be. JEE has taken over some of his old duties, which hides part of the problem. At this point, we could switch he and Sturm and I don't think that we would notice the difference. Sturm might even be better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Al Lagoon

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Elephant in the room time. Mikko has not been good this year. I don't know if it's physical, mental, or both, but the offensive output is non existent, and he is no longer the shutdown guy he used to be. JEE has taken over some of his old duties, which hides part of the problem. At this point, we could switch he and Sturm and I don't think that we would notice the difference. Sturm might even be better.

Make the Captain a healthy scratch? It would be a ballzy move, thats for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004

They could play the 1000th game video again if he’s butt hert about it.

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
That's not an elephant, it's the Kaptain! He is passed his experation date. I'm not sure on moving Sturm yet, but Rask is twice as effective at ES. I learned earlier today that moving the Kaptain out might not be "fair".

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Does anyone know of an instance where the team captain was a healthy scratch?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Does anyone know of an instance where the team captain was a healthy scratch?

Alex Ovechkin, 10/13/2015. Disciplinary reasons. He was late to practice (or a team meeting, not sure) due to a missed alarm.

Knowing who some of the captains in the league have been in the last 20 years, I'm sure there are others. I mean... Derek Mackenzie? Chris Clark? Tim Taylor? Ethan Moreau? At least one of those guys has to have been a healthy scratch once, right?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

this has honestly been the thing in the back of my head for a while now. The biggest thing we’ve missed is the guy that makes Zucker a 35+ goal scorer. Ago mad Nino a 70 point player last year. The ripple affects of having an elite player are get throughout the lineup.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

this has honestly been the thing in the back of my head for a while now. The biggest thing we’ve missed is the guy that makes Zucker a 35+ goal scorer. Ago mad Nino a 70 point player last year. The ripple affects of having an elite player are get throughout the lineup.

Not just an elite player, but an elite center. It's been missing since the inception of this team.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

Big reason while ill overpay for one or shoot for the moon in the draft of a projected one. its a huge need along with competent goaltending.

Reactions: nickschultzfan

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Why not both? Overpay AND shoot for the moon.
not saying you cant but usually overpaying means you lose the chance to shoot for the moon, such as overpaying for Eichel (wont happen just example) our 2020 1st would definitely be included therefore cant shoot for that moon.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
There is only one Crosby. You have a team in Toronto filled with "elite" players, that can't seem to lift their teammates around them. Something is lacking there character wise.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Draft well and who knows? 2003 saw many elite centers drafted, but not where you'd expect.

Ryan Getzlaf. round 1, 19th overall
Patrice Bergeron - round 2, 45th overall
Joe Pavelski - round 7, 205th overall.
Carter, 11th, Kesler 23rd, Richards 24th.

Freakishly good draft, but this one is supposed to be strong as well.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

I think there are about 29 teams that wish they had a player like Crosby to replace whomever they have on their top line.

Generational players aren't a dime-a-dozen.

You don't need a generational player to succeed though, but overall... yes, we are missing an elite center and always have.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
He was still killing it in his shut down role until the December groin injury.

He just hasn't come back from it.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota

I hate his takes on anything hockey related. Him and Pat are even worse than some HF posters with their evaluations and ideas. 1/2 times that the broken clock is right today though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad