Minnesota Wild General Discussion XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yeah, I saw that after reading some of the articles. After Bazeek said he didn't trust the site, I didn't want to click, so I started digging around a little bit. Maybe we can draft Oscar Koivu in the future?
The site's no more dangerous than any other tabloid. It won't hurt your computer, you just don't want to take what it's saying at face value.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yes, they do. The fact that they went from married to divorce without a marriage counselor causes an eyebrow to be raised. Furthermore, as curiosity I'd be interested in seeing the reason behind the divorce, but that is neither here nor there. Finally, there are mistakes and there are MISTAKES. A mistake would be that you forgot to make coffee for your wife in the morning. A MISTAKE would be stepping out on your wife like this. People do it, but it shouldn't be excused.
And yet, this comes down to he said she said. We're in no position to confirm or deny anything either of them are claiming, so it's not something we should concern ourselves with.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
As well, it really doesn't come down to he said she said in the case of a divorce when cheating is involved. Like did he or didn't he? Again though as mentioned above, it's interesting - but it's Koivu life.
That's my point... she says he did, he's probably saying he didn't. Did he or didn't he? Both sides usually make lots of claims about the other that aren't fully true. Divorces can get ugly and vindictive on both sides at times. Without evidence, it's he said vs she said and the court sorts it out however they can.

Either way, we'll likely never know the truth. Why concern ourselves with it in the end?

The only thing this may help explain is why he's been struggling so much on the ice, as he's been having a tough time off it recently.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The only thing this may help explain is why he's been struggling so much on the ice, as he's been having a tough time off it recently.

He's old and slow; there isn't much more to say about why he's having a tough time on the ice. Knee injuries will do that to a guy not known for speed.

I do wonder what stories will come out once Koivu retires AND how the locker room will be different.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
He's old and slow; there isn't much more to say about why he's having a tough time on the ice. Knee injuries will do that to a guy not known for speed.

I do wonder what stories will come out once Koivu retires AND how the locker room will be different.
the locker room wont be different until Parise leaves. He is the cancer many speak of.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think it does add a bit to the narrative surrounding Koivu though, and kind of adds to the narrative of the circus show surrounding Minnesota as of lately (between Fenton being fired, Guerin's firing of Boudreau and just the general mess Minnesota has been in the past few years - having their captain divorcing his wife due to cheating is just yet another groaner of a headline for an organization that has stumbled over itself). As well, it really doesn't come down to he said she said in the case of a divorce when cheating is involved. Like did he or didn't he? Again though as mentioned above, it's interesting - but it's Koivu life.

I mean one of the biggest issues with Mike Riberio that has followed him around is him cheating. It can split a locker room as well.
Not gonna lie, speculating this hard about someone else's personal life is pretty gross.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The thing is, is that they are public figure, so there is always going to be some speculation when things like this are brought up. I mean look at the thread regarding Scheifele and his chef and the speculation there (due to the lawsuit). It's not necessarily the speculation over who he cheated with or why, but Koivu's character as he is portrayed by Minnesota fans and the media as one way and something like this comes out that is a sharp contract to whom he is, it's going to take a lot of people by shock. Same thing happened to Puckett.
Divorces can happen for a lot of different reasons. Assuming there's really a court filing, using it to draw conclusions about Koivu's character without having any real context is over the line, in my opinion. It's simply none of our business.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Divorces can happen for a lot of different reasons. Assuming there's really a court filing, using it to draw conclusions about Koivu's character without having any real context is over the line, in my opinion. It's simply none of our business.

I guess that's fair, and I'll go ahead and delete my posts on the subject. But I am wondering where we draw the line between personal and professional? Like all the allegations thrown at Parise without any proof? Is that fair game?

I think you're also missing my point on this regarding Koivu.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I guess that's fair, and I'll go ahead and delete my posts on the subject. But I am wondering where we draw the line between personal and professional? Like all the allegations thrown at Parise without any proof? Is that fair game?

Are the allegations related to hockey? Then probably yeah.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
As sketchy as the rumors around Parise and Suter have been they've all been about the locker room dynamics. None of it has extended into anyone's personal life.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
As sketchy as the rumors around Parise and Suter have been they've all been about the locker room dynamics. None of it has extended into anyone's personal life.

What about Harding? That has been brought up a few times and there are hints that it had to do with something on a personal nature.

What about Setoguchi and his drinking problem? Or Heatley and his drinking problem?

I also think you are missing the point with regards to Koivu.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
What about Harding? That has been brought up a few times and there are hints that it had to do with something on a personal nature.

What about Setoguchi and his drinking problem? Or Heatley and his drinking problem?

I also think you are missing the point with regards to Koivu.
It depends on what you're asking.

If you're asking whether or not these topics are fair game for discussion my understanding is that as long as they've been reported by a credible source or publication it's fine. If they're unsourced rumors they should be deleted as possibly libelous.

If you're asking whether I personally find it distasteful to use stories about personal issues, like substance abuse or divorce, as a jumping off point to speculate about someone's character? Yes, I do. Even all the picking apart of Zucker's family situation leading up to the trade got uncomfortable and weird, even though there was nothing particularly negative about it.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If you're asking whether I personally find it distasteful to use stories about personal issues, like substance abuse or divorce, as a jumping off point to speculate about someone's character? Yes, I do.

I'm guessing this is where the issue arises; and I hate to use politics, but there are many in the political world that use personal issues as a way to speculate and tear down other characters, so I'm going to assume that you have an issue with that as well - especially how they go after the President?

As fans, can we cannot criticize a player's character? Look at Curt Schilling? Or Barry Bonds? Or Kirby Puckett? Or Kobe Bryant? Or Michael Jordan? One of the biggest stories about Jordan is how he is a jerk to everyone. Should fans ignore that?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
As long as a players character isn't a detriment to the team as a whole, I don't care about their character. I highly doubt that applies to Koivu right now. I have no idea why we're discussing his off-ice personal life.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm guessing this is where the issue arises; and I hate to use politics, but there are many in the political world that use personal issues as a way to speculate and tear down other characters, so I'm going to assume that you have an issue with that as well - especially how they go after the President?

As fans, can we cannot criticize a player's character? Look at Curt Schilling? Or Barry Bonds? Or Kirby Puckett? Or Kobe Bryant? Or Michael Jordan? One of the biggest stories about Jordan is how he is a jerk to everyone. Should fans ignore that?
There is no way to answer these questions in a way that won't continue to derail this thread.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
As long as a players character isn't a detriment to the team as a whole, I don't care about their character. I highly doubt that applies to Koivu right now. I have no idea why we're discussing his off-ice personal life.

As someone mentioned above, it would lay claim on why he is having such an off year - kind of like Dubnyk.

There is no way to answer these questions in a way that won't continue to derail this thread.

Fair enough.

To get us back on track, who do you think Guerin is going to target as coach IF Weight doesn't want the job (which looks pretty likely?). Veteran or someone new?

Pittsburgh has an intriguing group of coaches; Jacques Martin, Sergei Gonchar and Mark Recchi. Only reason I speculate is that Bill has ties with Pittsburgh still and maybe looking at one of them. Oh God - not Phil Housley. Maybe bring in Keith Tkachuk or Tony Amonte?

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
As someone mentioned above, it would lay claim on why he is having such an off year - kind of like Dubnyk.

Or he's just about to turn 37, slow and has been declining for years and just had a big injury.

I'll let you figure out which one is the likely culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad