Minnesota Wild General Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm not sure you understand what it means when it's said that Flahr "ran the draft"

I understand it. He ran not good drafts. So the new GM decides to let the same thing happen again?

NHL players from the draft:
2011: Brodin, Seeler looks promising.
2012: Dumba
2013: maybe Olofsson and Soucy
2014: Tuch, maybe Kahkonen and Belpedio
2015: JEE, Greenway, maybe Kaprizov
2016: Kunin, maybe Sokolov
2017: maybe too soon to tell, but I didn't like the draft at all
2018: too soon to tell. 2 picks i liked (McBain and 5th round Johansson), 1 on the fence (Khovanov), the rest I didn't like. Maybe they get lucky and get 8 NHLers, or maybe they completely bust this draft.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
And that makes things better how? Outside of Brodin and Dumba there hasn't been a single Wild 2011 or later draft pick with even 100 NHL games played. The Iowa team sure must be packed with NHL ready talent and in the Playoffs yearly, right?

Seems a bit cherry picked if we just take 2011. Why not when Fletcher took over? That would 2009.

2009 - Granlund
2010 - Leddy (Traded, but over 100)
2011 - Brodin
2012 - Dumba
2013 - Oloffson (56GP and mostly injured)
2014 - Tuch (Traded, at 84 games already though)
2015 - Eriksson Ek (90 games, so close)
2016 - Kunin (only played 1 season so far, tore ACL)
2017 - Lodnia (Not even on the radar yet)
2018 - Johansson (just drafted

But ya, outside the 1st round overall's since 2009, you only have 4 players that were drafted that have over 100 games

Haula, Keumper, Zucker, Larsson

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Seems a bit cherry picked if we just take 2011. Why not when Fletcher took over? That would 2009.

2009 - Granlund
2011 - Brodin
2012 - Dumba

But ya, outside the 1st round overall's since 2009, you only have 4 players that were drafted that have over 100 games

I couldn't remember if Flahr joined the Wild after the '09 or '10 draft.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I couldn't remember if Flahr joined the Wild after the '09 or '10 draft.

It was the 2010 draft, I believe. Tommy Thompson ran the '09 draft. Fletcher seems to get credit for all the picks, though, regardless of the facts. Thompson was fired in April of 2010. I'm not sure exactly if Flahr ran the 2010 draft or if Fletcher did.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It was the 2010 draft, I believe. Tommy Thompson ran the '09 draft. Fletcher seems to get credit for all the picks, though, regardless of the facts. Thompson was fired in April of 2010. I'm not sure exactly if Flahr ran the 2010 draft or if Fletcher did.
He said After the 09 draft, which was true... not before it.

2009 - Granlund
2011 - Brodin
2012 - Dumba

Leddy was '09, Granlund was '10.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
When you're the GM, and one of your selling points is being a good drafter, it's not something you delegate (more PC word?). You own the draft for better or worse.

GMCF makes this pick and he'd get roasted on here. Just another in a long line of Gabriel and Lucia overreach picks would be the narrative.

Not to me. They've drafted well in the first round, and nobody is EVER perfect past that. Gabriel was a reach because he was an overager with little junior level hockey skill; Lucia a total wild card that cost two picks - so him beating the odds would basically already be unlikely. And the other draft that sucked so bad, 2011, Phillips had plenty of red flags but was even so a reasonable pick. You can't blame Brent Flahr that he had no first in 2013 or 2017, and his 2014 pick who definitely will play 100 NHL games soon, is gone due to Fletcher's inability to manage, not his.

People can be skeptical on Johansson. That's fine, but literally everything in the draft record - not being a pundit, or working for some website, or posting on HFBoards - says Flahr and Fenton are two of the best talent evaluators for defense in the NHL. Why not relax for a couple seasons and see?

Reactions: BigT2002 and 2Pair

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
When you're the GM, and one of your selling points is being a good drafter, it's not something you delegate (more PC word?). You own the draft for better or worse.

GMCF makes this pick and he'd get roasted on here. Just another in a long line of Gabriel and Lucia overreach picks would be the narrative.

Current guy is getting roasted anyway.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
We drafted some low ceiling low floor nobody who couldn't even make Sweden's U20 national team. 5 d-men from the 2018 draft class were selected and all but 1 of them were taken after the 24th pick. Ironically enough, a 5th round pick of the Wild made the roster...but our first rounder couldn't?

Fenton punted the draft Pat McAfee style. He needed to take ownership.

Are you talking about 17 year old Filip Johansson (turned 18 in March)? Uh, no he didn't make the U20 team. Dahlin was one of the first draft eligibles to make it for Sweden in recent years I think. He has played for Team Sweden at the U18 level though. Had 4 points in 5 games at the Hlinka tournament - second in D scoring to Adam Boqvist. Still doesn't scream bad pick to me.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
If other GMs are lowballing you, what are you supposed to do?

Not much he could do- the draft this year lacked action as most GMs and their fellow scouts refused to deal unless they could screw someone over. The Wild tried to make deals, apparently, but were being asked for way too much in return. So, they did what they could with no second round pick available.
I thought the third round went well for the Wild - McBain, Kovanov and Dewar.
The first-rounder Filip Johanssen may turn out to be a steady NHLer in the long run. Anyone on this thread going to the Camp next week?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think it’s okay he let Flahr do everything. He wasn’t there for all the meetings throughout the year.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think it’s okay he let Flahr do everything. He wasn’t there for all the meetings throughout the year.

But he should have a good read on the team; their needs, their holes, right? I mean that's why we hired him.

He should be able to see and go, well - we got all these good defensemen, but who the hell do we have at forward? Especially at right wing and center?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
But he should have a good read on the team; their needs, their holes, right? I mean that's why we hired him.

He should be able to see and go, well - we got all these good defensemen, but who the hell do we have at forward? Especially at right wing and center?
The simple answer to your question is we have a top center prospect in Eriksson Ek, a top right wing prospect in Kunin, and a top left wing prospect in Kaprizov and also Greenway. Now who do we have for RHD? Belpedio? We needed right handed defensemen prospects. Flahr also addressed center at the draft with 3 out of the first 4 picks being centers. Two of which, McBain and Khovanov, have huge potential to boom.

Grover

Jul 8, 2012
Minnesota
I just played golf with Mike Peluso, and he's a total old shool bad ass. Not all enforcers end up as brain dead squash. Anyway, that's one of my random daily updates.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The simple answer to your question is we have a top center prospect in Eriksson Ek,

Eriksson-Ek doesn't fill me with a lot of hope - he's only 21, but he has played 90 games and has a whopping 23 points in those 90 games (not to mention only 9 goals). He might end up being similar to Koivu - and do we really want that for the next 10 years? Good defensively, mediocre offensively and always the runner up?

He went from October 7th to February 19th without a goal, btw.

a top right wing prospect in Kunin,

Who is coming off a significant injury. We don't know what Kunin is going to be like when he comes back from injury.

and a top left wing prospect in Kaprizov and also Greenway. Now who do we have for RHD? Belpedio? We needed right handed defensemen prospects.

Kap is unknown if he's going to be over any sooner than 2020. Greenway is also a huge unknown.

You also run 6 forwards instead of 4 defensemen. We have Suter penciled in for a while. Outside of that we have Spurgeon, Dumba, Belpedio, and now Greg Pateryn in the system. So, do we trade Dumba? Or Spurgeon?

Flahr also addressed center at the draft with 3 out of the first 4 picks being centers. Two of which, McBain and Khovanov, have huge potential to boom.

Questionable players. We need elite talent, period. McBain and Khovanov aren't considered elite talent. We continue to go with the safe pick, which gets us to where we're at. 5 years of playoffs, but no serious contention.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Eriksson-Ek doesn't fill me with a lot of hope - he's only 21, but he has played 90 games and has a whopping 23 points in those 90 games (not to mention only 9 goals). He might end up being similar to Koivu - and do we really want that for the next 10 years? Good defensively, mediocre offensively and always the runner up?

He went from October 7th to February 19th without a goal, btw.

Oh woe is me if we end up being stuck with another 60-70 point Selke caliber center. How will I ever sleep at night.

Who is coming off a significant injury. We don't know what Kunin is going to be like when he comes back from injury.

As far as significant injuries go, a torn ACL is about as insignificant as it gets. It's pretty naive to assume every player who gets injured is going to have a massive drop off in their game for the rest of ever.

Kap is unknown if he's going to be over any sooner than 2020. Greenway is also a huge unknown.

And if Kaprizov doesn't come over til 2020, who cares? He'll still only be 23 at that point.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Questionable players. We need elite talent, period. McBain and Khovanov aren't considered elite talent. We continue to go with the safe pick, which gets us to where we're at. 5 years of playoffs, but no serious contention.

So much to respond to in your post but this is just wrong. McBain was ranked in the first round by Central Scouting at midterm and 35th in the Final. Khovanov was unranked due to his illness at midterm and 43rd in the Final.

And there are NO "safe" picks. Guys who are terrific players bust for all kinds of reasons. The Wild did well at the 2018 NHL Entry Draft based on what we know today. Should be fun to track these kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad