Minnesota Wild General Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
Gmcf couldn't turn around what GMDR did in one off season without needing to change scouting staff. It takes more time. If all he got were low ball offers' bringing everyone back to try and improve their value is a good thing. Every year dallas improved St louis Improved, and we stand pat. Yet we make the playoffs and someone falls out for one reason or another. If it aint broke.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I'm on the fence with Vegas. Pacific isn't that amazing, but people write off Calgary and Edmonton way too easily in my mind. Are they going to be a Top 3 team in Pacific? Maybe. Vancouver is going to be a trainwreck, and who knows if Arizona ever figures it out. By all accounts purpose...if say Calgary and Edmonton have mediocre years, that could be 4 teams that the other 3 can beat up on all season long. It is doable. Moreso than in my mind Minnesota coming out and tackling Winnipeg and Nashville for instance.

And MN has always been mentality fragile in my opinion. Without really watching what other teams issues are, it appears they are basically one of the only teams with some of the locker room issues that seem to plague it. Front office upset because players bring in other players to help with their game. Coaches relegating prospects to 3/4th line minutes. Captains demanding to play with certain players. Etc. I need to follow some of the other teams on Athletic more to see if they deal with it too.

Honestly the Wild are much better off than some of these teams.

The Oilers: GM has issues I could elaborate in detail but think of having McDavid and the best RW you find for him is .... Ty Rattie??
Leafs: coach insisted on playing guys like Komarov, Martin, not playing Marner with Matthews, not playing Leivo, etc.
Jets: people complained for years at how Thorburn played with guys like Petan, cratered his value and added zero.
Flames: big issue was having Ferland on the top line, but also having Brouwer on the pp. Locker room issues led to Hamilton trade.
Ottawa: I mean...

Some is coaches, some owners, some gms. I think Russo created a narrative around the idea that Suter/Parise run the show. When you have a strong leadership group, they'll have some say. That's not unusual. Ultimately the coach has to have control. Maybe that wasn't the case always with Boudreau - young Ovechkin probably was a handful. Wild are definitely not way more dysfunctional than others.

Reactions: BigT2002

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I mean, his drafting? Guy picked Josi and Weber in the 2nd round. Why not wait and see if this kid can play?

Where would Duclair play? They have Zucker, Parise, Greenway, Foligno down the left flank and he wanted a higher role. They needed pk guys - they picked a capable right-handed center with experience and much younger to fill the Cullen role. Brown is also an underrated defensive guy. Pateryn is a fine middle-pairing guy who played against tough opposition all last season - is that not the plan with him?

These are sensible moves for a team that doesn't know important things about next fall, that made the playoffs and has a chance to be back.

We'll see on the contracts. Dumba at Spurgeon's money makes some sense, shouldn't be much more.
you think Fenton personally picked Josi and Weber? Or was he just one of the guys who happened to be around at the time,they were picked? Let's not forget that NSH hasn't won a damn thing, and have only been marginally better than the Wild excepting two years ago on their Cup run, and during most of that time they had one of the best goalies in the league.
I'm not ready to worship of'the shrine of Fenton, till he is actually the guy who makes the final decision, not just one of the elves.
Pateryn a " fine" middle pairing guy? He never played a full season till last year. He is closer to Stoner than he is Scandella. He is a thrid pairing guy...just remains to be seen whether he is a #5, or a 6/7. Didn't realize that thrid pairing D was such an issue on this team, anyway. I thought it was scoring from the forwards(Duclair).

We go into the season worse on the fourth line than we were last year, and it's not really close. Losing Ennis is great, but a child could have figured that out.

At this point, we have to hope that the vets play the same as last year(Staal worse, Nino better, Zucker worse, Coyle better, etc..) as a whole, and hope for big contributions from Ek and Greenway. Can't see Kunin doing much till 2020.

Last edited:

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
you think Fenton personally picked Josi and Weber? Or was he just one of the guys who happened to be around at the time,they were picked? Let's not forget that NSH hasn't won a damn thing, and have only been marginally better than the Wild excepting two years ago on their Cup run, and during most of that time they had one of the best goalies in the league.
I'm not ready to worship of'the shrine of Fenton, till he is actually the guy who makes the final decision, not just one of the elves

He's been involved according to the reporters. It's not just those guys. He was specifically hired because of his eye for talent. I'm a bit skeptical of him too, but so far, so good. These moves seem fine to me, including the draft which has a bunch of excellent picks even if the first Johansson doesn't pan out for some reason.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Something a hell of a lot better than Greg ****ing Pateryn for term and money, instead of Folin for 1/3rd the cost. Or any of the other plugs they signed. It's like they decided to double down on being lame. I'm not the biggest Duclair fan, but he went for dirt, and at least you can make a case for him having some potential. Winnik and Cullen were far better, also.
There is a bit of urgency to running a team, especially one who has **** the bed in the playoffs for multiple years running. Fenton doesn't seem to understand that, or is so arrogant that he thinks he can blow off this season with no ill effects.
It's very early, but I am getting a bad feeling about this guy. His FA signings, and drafting has been mediocre at best, it seems. We'll see how he does on re-signing Dumba and Zucker. Hopefully it's not Zucker at 6M, and Dumba at 7M.
Folin isn’t coming back. Get over it already. It’s crazy to me that you’re already on the tilt train for Pateryn. Just wait till Brodin or Spurgeon is/are injured. I don’t get how it’s such a big deal to you before we see him play. Would you have preferred Prosser play all the time? How about Murphy? I sure as heck don’t want them playing if we could have a better player in.

Cullen wasn’t cutting it here and honestly I didn’t want him back. Winnik for whatever reason isn’t coming back, though I’d welcome him back on the 4th line. Look at Duclair’s GP the last two seasons. Can he even stay healthy?

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I like how you use Scandella and Stoner as the comparables. One is arguably a 1st pairing dman and the other is 3rd pairing. Placing him in between those players would mean right around a #4 dman.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like how you use Scandella and Stoner as the comparables. One is arguably a 1st pairing dman and the other is 3rd pairing. Placing him in between those players would mean right around a #4 dman.
Yet when Scandella was here he was called #5 by the vast majority of the posters here? Scandella is a mid pairing Dman, stuck on the first pairing of an extremely lousy defensive team. It's as silly to call him a first pairing guy as a third pairing guy.

Reactions: Wild11MN

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Folin isn’t coming back. Get over it already. It’s crazy to me that you’re already on the tilt train for Pateryn. Just wait till Brodin or Spurgeon is/are injured. I don’t get how it’s such a big deal to you before we see him play. Would you have preferred Prosser play all the time? How about Murphy? I sure as heck don’t want them playing if we could have a better player in.

Cullen wasn’t cutting it here and honestly I didn’t want him back. Winnik for whatever reason isn’t coming back, though I’d welcome him back on the 4th line. Look at Duclair’s GP the last two seasons. Can he even stay healthy?
I did see him play in MTL, for years. He's forgettable. Enjoy Hendricks, Brown, and Fehr.:thumbd:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yet when Scandella was here he was called #5 by the vast majority of the posters here? Scandella is a mid pairing Dman, stuck on the first pairing of an extremely lousy defensive team. It's as silly to call him a first pairing guy as a third pairing guy.
Almost as silly as taking a guy coming off of a great season as a #4 and calling him a #7.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
That’s cause people got caught up in the Brodin hype not realizing Scandella was the better player.

Reactions: AKL and 2Pair

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I did see him play in MTL, for years. He's forgettable. Enjoy Hendricks, Brown, and Fehr.:thumbd:
Point to the specific moves GMPF should have made that are realistic. Humor me. Folin, Winnik, Cullen and Duclair are forgettable players to. They are bottom pair/4th liners for a reason.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I guess I can say the Foligno is arguably a middle-6 winger; that's where he played in Buffalo after all. It's as true of a statement that Scandealla is arguably a 1st pairing d-man. Drouin is arguably a 1C too. :sarcasm:

He's been involved according to the reporters. It's not just those guys. He was specifically hired because of his eye for talent. I'm a bit skeptical of him too, but so far, so good. These moves seem fine to me, including the draft which has a bunch of excellent picks even if the first Johansson doesn't pan out for some reason.

And yet he punted on the draft this year and let GMCF's guy run the draft.

Gmcf couldn't turn around what GMDR did in one off season without needing to change scouting staff. It takes more time. If all he got were low ball offers' bringing everyone back to try and improve their value is a good thing. Every year dallas improved St louis Improved, and we stand pat. Yet we make the playoffs and someone falls out for one reason or another. If it aint broke.

GMCF was handed the keys to a Fiero; which may or may not have actually been on fire; and turned it into a Mustang (V6, not Shelby). GMPF was given the Mustang that needed some tweaks. So his tweaks were to put on Yosemite Sam mudflaps and racing stripes and called it good.

Reactions: Minnesnota

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
And yet he punted on the draft this year and let GMCF's guy run the draft.

Punted ....??? How many times will have to be said: some people had Johansson as a 1st rounder. Who f'in cares if a certain agency or pundit didn't?? Everyone gets to be wrong sometimes. The other guys: McBain - some had in the 1st or 2nd; Khovanov - put up similar numbers to 1st rounder Denisenko; Dewar - just named to Team Canada summer camp - they punting on the WJC??? These complaints at this point are groundless. Not to mention Flahr is a good drafter!

Reactions: 2Pair

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Point to the specific moves GMPF should have made that are realistic. Humor me. Folin, Winnik, Cullen and Duclair are forgettable players to. They are bottom pair/4th liners for a reason.

Traded down in the draft, or just traded away the 1st for a lifetime movie pass subscription. Sign a Vanek, Brodziak, Plekanec, ect. Trade for ROR. Orpik and Mason were both traded as buyouts and the cost wasn't outrageous. Martin was dumped for nothing. CGY/Canes trade was something the he could have done. Blow the whole team up and tank instead of waiting until the TDL to do it. Rob OTT for Hoffman.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Punted ....??? How many times will have to be said: some people had Johansson as a 1st rounder. Who f'in cares if a certain agency or pundit didn't?? Everyone gets to be wrong sometimes. The other guys: McBain - some had in the 1st or 2nd; Khovanov - put up similar numbers to 1st rounder Denisenko; Dewar - just named to Team Canada summer camp - they punting on the WJC??? These complaints at this point are groundless. Not to mention Flahr is a good drafter!

He punted. He even said he was letting Flahr run the draft, not taking ownership of it ahead of time.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
GMCF was handed the keys to a Fiero; which may or may not have actually been on fire; and turned it into a Mustang (V6, not Shelby). GMPF was given the Mustang that needed some tweaks. So his tweaks were to put on Yosemite Sam mudflaps and racing stripes and called it good.
Bruh, who tf gets an 84’. Red 88’ GT is the way to go. I’ll rep it all day.

Also, Mustangs suck just like all Ford vehicles.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I know this is a hockey forum but ... you don't punt to a guy on your own team.

When you're the GM, and one of your selling points is being a good drafter, it's not something you delegate (more PC word?). You own the draft for better or worse.

GMCF makes this pick and he'd get roasted on here. Just another in a long line of Gabriel and Lucia overreach picks would be the narrative.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I know this is a hockey forum but ... you don't punt to a guy on your own team.
We drafted some low ceiling low floor nobody who couldn't even make Sweden's U20 national team. 5 d-men from the 2018 draft class were selected and all but 1 of them were taken after the 24th pick. Ironically enough, a 5th round pick of the Wild made the roster...but our first rounder couldn't?

Fenton punted the draft Pat McAfee style. He needed to take ownership.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
When you're the GM, and one of your selling points is being a good drafter, it's not something you delegate (more PC word?). You own the draft for better or worse.

GMCF makes this pick and he'd get roasted on here. Just another in a long line of Gabriel and Lucia overreach picks would be the narrative.
you are aware that Flahr ran all of Fletchers drafts? correct? Just like every other team in the NHL.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Bruh, who tf gets an 84’. Red 88’ GT is the way to go. I’ll rep it all day.

Also, Mustangs suck just like all Ford vehicles.

I'm not a Ford fan either, just Mustang has such a range from the V6 to the Shelby. The Wild just happen to be the V6, not the Shelby. Maybe last year a Jaguar would have been a better car, always in the shop for repairs...

Reactions: Minnesnota

Wabit

May 23, 2016
you are aware that Flahr ran all of Fletchers drafts? correct? Just like every other team in the NHL.

And that makes things better how? Outside of Brodin and Dumba there hasn't been a single Wild 2011 or later draft pick with even 100 NHL games played. The Iowa team sure must be packed with NHL ready talent and in the Playoffs yearly, right?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
And that makes things better how? Outside of Brodin and Dumba there hasn't been a single Wild 2011 or later draft pick with even 100 NHL games played. The Iowa team sure must be packed with NHL ready talent and in the Playoffs yearly, right?
I'm not sure you understand what it means when it's said that Flahr "ran the draft"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad