Minnesota 2023-2024 Affiliates Thread (Iowa Wild, Iowa Heartlanders)

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Hunt had made two great defensive plays. A few minutes later, Butcher makes poor pinch effort which leads to a 2 on 1. Hunt didn't really make a decision to take shot or pass while teammate was pretty close on the backcheck, and Texas finishes the play to take 2-1 lead at the end of the 1st.

Reactions: Sweetnut

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Iowa playing Rockford again tonight. Simon Johansson just had a great play - 4 on 4...Simon was following Anders Bjork during man on coverage...eventually caused the turnover, went down and finished it by himself to tie it up.

One random note - I know AHL teams always have roster turnover but I don't recall Houston Aeros or Iowa teams of past using new lines almost every night. I think the ROR-Spacek D pairing is the only thing consistent. Might be another reason they struggle - different guys playing center or centers having different wings almost every game. Guess Mclean wants to be polar opposite of Evason.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Iowa playing Rockford again tonight. Simon Johansson just had a great play - 4 on 4...Simon was following Anders Bjork during man on coverage...eventually caused the turnover, went down and finished it by himself to tie it up.

One random note - I know AHL teams always have roster turnover but I don't recall Houston Aeros or Iowa teams of past using new lines almost every night. I think the ROR-Spacek D pairing is the only thing consistent. Might be another reason they struggle - different guys playing center or centers having different wings almost every game. Guess Mclean wants to be polar opposite of Evason.

They've dealt with forward injuries similar to the big club in addition to suffering from the big club plucking their guys, and the draft classes that should be contributing down there simply aren't. Hentges looks to be done, Swaney's played 7 games, Firstov went back to Russia, Marat still in Russia, Novak missed a year, Nesterenko didn't want to sign so he was dealt, Guskov/Pilar ended up never worth contracts. We were supposedly finalists for Meyers and Polin as NCAA free agents as well and missed out. 4 of the top-8 forwards in games played for Iowa are on minor league deals, that is not common around the league. One of them even left for Europe recently.

Decent chance there's only 5-6 forwards that play ~40 games this year in Iowa that play ~20+ for them next year.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
They've dealt with forward injuries similar to the big club in addition to suffering from the big club plucking their guys, and the draft classes that should be contributing down there simply aren't. Hentges looks to be done, Swaney's played 7 games, Firstov went back to Russia, Marat still in Russia, Novak missed a year, Nesterenko didn't want to sign so he was dealt, Guskov/Pilar ended up never worth contracts. We were supposedly finalists for Meyers and Polin as NCAA free agents as well and missed out. 4 of the top-8 forwards in games played for Iowa are on minor league deals, that is not common around the league. One of them even left for Europe recently.

Decent chance there's only 5-6 forwards that play ~40 games this year in Iowa that play ~20+ for them next year.
I understand that but even when the lineup has been the same, meaning the same exact guys in the lineup for a couple weekends, almost every night the lines are different. I can't think of one weekend in which the lines were the same given what I said above. If guys are called up, injured, etc., it totally makes sense.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Well, I have some positive things today for you guys - the young D have played well thus far in the first. Lambos had to very good defensive plays, Spacek sprung Beckman on a breakaway that led to a penalty, Hunt has an assist and manned the PP well, and Johansson has an assist as well. ROR has been rock solid.

Beckman has been hot lately - he flubs the puck and still has turnovers but can't deny the fact that he's been putting up the points. Walker looks disinterested, similar to how he played prior to Shaw being in the lineup.

Wild up 2-0 against Chicago after getting beatdown last night by Rockford.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
I understand that but even when the lineup has been the same, meaning the same exact guys in the lineup for a couple weekends, almost every night the lines are different. I can't think of one weekend in which the lines were the same given what I said above. If guys are called up, injured, etc., it totally makes sense.

I just think it comes down to quality of players and its low enough that a minor thing could be the difference between 2nd/4th line. Its not like there's any forward we're really counting on developing down there right now and want specific types around them. Close to half the forward group is lucky to be in the AHL honestly, once they game-out as developmental players they won't be in that league.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Iowa ended up losing 3 to 2 in OT with like 5 seconds left. Wallstedt played one of his better games in the last few weeks. Think he saved 35 out of 38 and saved two or three for sure goals.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Wild and Grand Rapids tied 2-2. Iowa outshooting them 17-10. Spacek has two apples, ROR an apple, and Milne has a goal.

Bankier has been noticeable on both ends of the ice - has had to nice takeaways. Lambos had one really good shift in the 1st period.

Overall thus far - they are playing about as well as they can.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Wild lose 4-3. Spacek had a great game - two assists...three scoring chances, solid defensively. Hunt finished a great pass by Beckman to give them a chance to tie it late. GR was just better at capitalizing on turnovers. Wallstedt didn't have a chance on the last goal but some of the others he'd probably want back. If he'd have played like last game, Wild would have won.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Simon Johansson scores 2 on 1 with Milne. For those that have been stopping in here, I was pretty pessimistic about him. The last two weeks he has been their best defenseman. 6 pts in his last 7 games, has played strong overall defensively. If he finishes the season this way, it could be a silver lining for the D prospects down there this year.

Last edited:

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
They need a better GM and a better coach in Iowa. And probably better everything actually.
Ditching Army seems like it was not a great move in retrospect, though I will say the talent level on that roster and how picked over it was with injuries does make life extremely difficult on a first year coach. But hard to point out many improvements that have occurred under him this season.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Ditching Army seems like it was not a great move in retrospect, though I will say the talent level on that roster and how picked over it was with injuries does make life extremely difficult on a first year coach. But hard to point out many improvements that have occurred under him this season.

Beckman and Walker seemed like they stalled. At least the defensemen are...developing a little bit, I guess?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I think Walker hit his ceiling. Beckman seems like a very streaky player.

Yeah, I don't think Walker or Beckman have proven at all they have what it takes to stick in an NHL line-up. Seem destined for Europe or career AHLers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad