Minnesota 2023-2024 Affiliates Thread (Iowa Wild, Iowa Heartlanders)

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Some new faces in Iowa this season including Hentges, Walker, ROR, Hunt and Wallstedt. A lot of drafted prospects battling for roster spots. Nice to see.

Last edited by a moderator:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Some new faces in Iowa this season including Hentges, Walker, ROR, Hunt and Wallstedt. A lot of drafted prospects battling for roster spots. Nice to see.
Good defensive prospects coming in - O'Rourke, Hunt, and Johnsson. Great goaltender - Wallstedt. Questionable offensive prospects - Firstov (first full season), Hentges (first full season), Walker (first full season), Beckman (second season). There isn't a lot to work with in Iowa for some of our more offensive gifted players.

Wild is probably hoping that Beckman turns the corner or at least shows incremental developmental steps. I'm a big fan of Firstov, but I don't see him developing into anything more than a middle to bottom 6 forward.

I'm still thinking Rossi starts out in the AHL as they can give him PK, PP and first line duties down there and he isn't caught up in the numbers game in the NHL.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Iowa goes to a shootout with San Jose in the opener. Round after Round in an entertaining game and sadly San Jose gets the win in the seventh round of the shootout.

They were down 3-0, and came back to force OT and had their chances to win it. Walker net his first AHL goal.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Walker with two points, Wallstedt in goal. He stopped 5 out of 7 shots in the SO. Petan was the only one who scored for Iowa.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Sorry for late comment but here are random thoughts from the Iowa Wild (almost called them Aeros, jeez I am getting old).

ROR was awesome. Maybe one bad play in own zone but gritty, mobile, and 7 shots or so. Smart pinches, good passes, and gritty defensively.

Hunt was up and down. Had an assist and a couple nice plays on PP (their 2nd PP unit was much more mobile than the first). Seemed shaky in first period in own zone - first goal was a result of his poor clear/outlet attempt. Liked his game in OT. Risky player who plays aggressive - kinda reminds me of younger Dumba in that regard, without the booming slapshot.

Johansson - decent everywhere and smart with play. Was on third pairing and a little PK time if my memory serves me well.

Milne - not sure if got hurt or ice time cut down in second and third but thought he was very noticeable in first on forecheck and in neutral zone. Almost caused a few turnovers but looked weak along boards.

Beckman - hate to be Mr. Negative on this kid since I was a big fan of him his last year of juniors and obviously through last camp but he's clearly trying to be something he is not. Do not like how they use him on first PP. He isn't a passer or someone that should be on the left half-wall. Still looks weak and isn't someone who is a puck carrier, even though he was trying to do that last night. Thought he had a terrible game and definitely made the first PP unit weak. He's a shooter and needs to just get to open ice and shoot it or pass it off quickly. Surprised he didn't look physically stronger though...

Wallstedt - thought he was pretty good overall for his first AHL game as a rookie. He's not a super athletic goalie from side-to-side and it shows sometimes but his positioning and most rebound control were as advertised.

Team as a whole looked similar to Wild in their first game. Some really bad defensive zone coverage and turnovers...outshot opponent...and you could tell that many of these guys haven't played with each other very long. I think they will be a decent team, though. Hopefully Firstov can get some icetime tonight.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
All AHJL games are free this weekend. Caught the 1st period against San Jose, which has some good prospects like Eklund, Robins, Merkley.

McIntyre let in a soft goal, and another he had no chance on.

_Swaney looks stronger and thicker this year, and Is hitting WAY more than he did last year- wonder if he spent a lot of time in the gym and pounding calories.

- I like Hunt's game. He doesn't look out of place at all, and jumped up into the play a couple of times. Nice skater, solid blooking, can handle the puck, and doesn't do dumb shit.

- ROR looks ok

- JOhansson looked pretty bad on one goal. Got caught way up ice, and instead of hauling ass back to defend, went for a change behind the play, leaving a forward and a Dman to defend a 3 on 2, with predictable results.

- Walker looks pretty good. Haven't seen him break out the speed yet.

- Hentges not playing?

- Beckman looks good, but not great. Had a really good scoring chance. They have him, Petan, Chaffee, Shaw, and Hicketts on PP1

In general, the talent seems ok, but they seem out of sync. They also seem to be missing a guy who can orchestrate the offense, like Rossi did last year, and maybe Rau and Dewar the year before. Shaw just isn't that guy.

Reactions: Minnesota

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Wild get shutout and shots were 32-16 until last minute where there was a 6-4 and think Wild got 4 or 5 shots.

Milne and Petan out tonight due to some injuries per the AHL broadcast.

Did not see every minute of the game but thought Johansson looked good defensively and with the puck. ROR and Hunt both raw...get beat at times and sometimes try to do too much but still like their games. Walker's speed is noticeable and hope he gets an opportunity higher up in the lineup. Beckman got some shots but not from dangerous spots, still don't like him where he is positioned on PP. Rather see him on off wing ready to blast passes.

Wallstedt was not in net.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild get shutout and shots were 32-16 until last minute where there was a 6-4 and think Wild got 4 or 5 shots.

Milne and Petan out tonight due to some injuries per the AHL broadcast.

Did not see every minute of the game but thought Johansson looked good defensively and with the puck. ROR and Hunt both raw...get beat at times and sometimes try to do too much but still like their games. Walker's speed is noticeable and hope he gets an opportunity higher up in the lineup. Beckman got some shots but not from dangerous spots, still don't like him where he is positioned on PP. Rather see him on off wing ready to blast passes.

Wallstedt was not in net.
Hentges, Petan, and Mermis were out with injuries.

- I thought Johansson was up and down. He is kind of a clunky skater. Quite tall...looks like about 6'4". Not physical. Just when you think he's a bit of a goof he does something good offensively... or not.

- Liked ROR and Hunt, but they are still adjusting to playing against grown men. Some mistakes, but some good things, too.

- McIntyre was good in nets. could've stopped the 2nd goal, but letting in two on 34 shots isn't bad.

- Walker showing flashes, and Swaney a bit too.

- I don't know what Beckman is missing... I can't pick up any obvious flaw in his game. He looks well over 6', has above average speed...:dunno:

- Chaffee did not impress, nor did Giroux.

Right now, the team just doesn't seem to have a lot of talent, especially up front. It's hard to replace Shaw, Rossi, Dewar, and Rau. Still, early days, the team doesn't look like a team yet

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
- I don't know what Beckman is missing... I can't pick up any obvious flaw in his game. He looks well over 6', has above average speed...:dunno:

Well, he's missing the same things he was when we drafted him - hockey IQ, ability to dangle, strength, etc. He has his shot, but that's pretty much it. He is average everywhere else.

I know it's still super early and the whole roster is getting accustomed to one another, so hopefully it's affecting all of them, but no one is looking that great...and I was hoping to see more from Beckman...at least a little bit of maturity/improvement in something.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Walker on first line. Wallstedt in net.

Ooh, Wild score. Nick Swaney. Backhand goal off a rebound from Giroux.

ROR is with Sjustr.

Walker sent in Beckman on partial breakaway. Nice save by Khudobin.

Walker sent in on breakaway by Johansson and puts it in. Wild up 2-0.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wallstedt lets in one when the Stars have an extra man on a delayed call. His stick was slashed out of his hands, but of course the refs didn't call it. He didn't really have a chance...there was all sorts of traffic in front, so he probably didn't see it. Otherwise looks good, as did McIntyre last night. Team at least has a pulse tonight.

and i'll say it again, SJo looks tall. There's no way he's only 6'2"

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's early, but Iowa looks pretty thin on offense, though we should keep in mind that they are missing Petan and Shaw, both vg AHL players. Also Hentges, but he is more of an unknown.

Hunt looks reasonably good, for a rookie. not overwhelmed physically, nice'ish wheels, jumps up into play a little bit.

Wallstedt looks good, not great. Has let in two bad angle goals- it was speculated that he has to adjust to the rink size on those.

RoR pretty unnoticeable. Not bad, at least? Moves decently.

SJo is a bit of a surprise. He looks to be at least two inches taller than Hunt and ROR. Not the smoothest skater, nor with the fastest feet, but can get up to a good speed. Definitely seems to have a decent offensive IQ, though. Some nice passing, but can also jump into the play, and shoot it a bit.

Walker might be their best forward right now, but it's a pretty sad bunch. I wonder if he can gain weight?Fogarty is a smart, effective AHL C with good size. If he had better feet, or was tougher, he'd be a NHL'er. Has decent hands. Swaney looks like a good AHL player this year, after adjusting to the league.

Beckman i've talked about. Hopefully he figures something out.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
does anyone know when Pavel Novak might be ready to play?

His goal seems to be next year

If [Novak] can find a way to Des Moines this season, that would be a bonus. But he would need a green light from his doctors first. His body has fought hard, and he needs to take things slowly.

“I’ve started working out again and am skating, but slowly, taking it step by step,” Novak says. “The goal is to be ready and part of the team for next year.”

Source

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
does anyone know when Pavel Novak might be ready to play?
Pretty sure he's going to have to seriously work on getting back into hockey shape first. Come back against professional athletes too soon and you're begging for injury before you even get going. His body was likely ravaged pretty hard in the fight, so it will definitely take time.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Does anyone else think Tim Army is going to be let go at the end of this season? 5 seasons, mediocre results and not a lot of development.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Does anyone else think Tim Army is going to be let go at the end of this season? 5 seasons, mediocre results and not a lot of development.

The results are the quality of the players on the team. Fenton gave him good players and the team did well. Guerin has given him junk and this is where we are.

As far as development, besides Rossi and Addison, what has he had to work with prior to this season?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The results are the quality of the players on the team. Fenton gave him good players and the team did well. Guerin has given him junk and this is where we are.

As far as development, besides Rossi and Addison, what has he had to work with prior to this season?
Khovanov, Firstov, Chaff, Jones.

Sometimes a coach can do more than just what they have. Look at the Stars and their development. The Wolves had who and won the Cup?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Khovanov, Firstov, Chaff, Jones.

Sometimes a coach can do more than just what they have. Look at the Stars and their development. The Wolves had who and won the Cup?

That list is a guy who just turned pro, a goalie (always a crap shoot), an undrafted college FA signing, and a guy who kept coming into camp not ready to play. Counter argument is Duhaime, Dewar, Shaw, and Kack. All of these players are/were low chance of becoming anything more than fringe NHLers.

MN has a highly rated prospect pool, but most of it is playing in other leagues. Even the vet talent the Iowa team has is bottom of the AHL lineup guys, not top of the lineup vets (Anas, COR, Mayhew, etc).

The current team is similar to the Fletcher AHL tirefire years.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
That list is a guy who just turned pro, a goalie (always a crap shoot), an undrafted college FA signing, and a guy who kept coming into camp not ready to play. Counter argument is Duhaime, Dewar, Shaw, and Kack. All of these players are/were low chance of becoming anything more than fringe NHLers.

MN has a highly rated prospect pool, but most of it is playing in other leagues. Even the vet talent the Iowa team has is bottom of the AHL lineup guys, not top of the lineup vets (Anas, COR, Mayhew, etc).

The current team is similar to the Fletcher AHL tirefire years.
First off Kahkonen was never seen as a low chance as a fringe NHLer. Secondly, Dewar, Duhaime and Shaw became what most saw. Good depth players. Third, why do teams get better production and better development than the Wild out of their fringe guys? Again I point at the Stars and as well Carolina.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
First off Kahkonen was never seen as a low chance as a fringe NHLer. Secondly, Dewar, Duhaime and Shaw became what most saw. Good depth players. Third, why do teams get better production and better development than the Wild out of their fringe guys? Again I point at the Stars and as well Carolina.

Actually Khovanov wasn't, it's why he was a 3rd round pick. He had 1st round talent, but his work effort of a beer leaguer playing for fun. He was worth a 3rd at the time to see if he could be fixed. KHL teams don't even want him.

Other teams don't draft only 5'-10" LHS FWDs. Other teams think having a quality AHL team is important and fills it out with quality players, not just prospects. Other teams have multiple 1st and 2nd round picks in the AHL. Other teams don't rush their prospects. Other teams have better scouting and that leads to better drafting. Basically the head coach is only a part of the equation. Drafting, AHL team build, winning culture, NHL coaching systems (the AHL team runs the same system), the other coaches (goalie, skating, etc.), the support systems (nutritionist, medical, strength, etc.).

MN's scouting department has been an issue for a long time. The turnover in it is too recent to have an effect on Iowa. The Iowa team has been a constant tire fire (except the Fenton era). MN has also traded away a lot of draft picks, so the quantity isn't there.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Am still liking Hunt. Seems to be a nice skater, with good balance. Makes smart plays, good first pass.

ROR is more defensive. Like the way he covers out front.

S JO is a nice passer, and has above average offensive skills and instincts. Not sure if he's the guy you want to send in to win a board battle, though. Nevertheless, a pleasant surprise.

Swaney still looking good. Fast, and stronger than last year. Just skilled enough to chip in some offense. Scored on a breakaway in the 1st.

Chaffee disappointing. Needs to get head out of posterior.

Beckman...ok. Hit a crossbar on nice shot from 35'.

Walker looks smart, and fast. He needs to get into the center of the ice...he's on the perimeter too much. Decent skill, though.

Milne, Hentges, Petan still not playing

Sustr is ... tall

Couple of nice goals by Iowa in the 2nd, by Fogarty( S JO...Walker would've had the 3rd assist...very nice play on the half wall) and Walker(assisted Beckman).

Last edited:

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Just started watching about 10 minutes ago. Nice goal from Fogarty that was started by Johansson.

And great feed from Beckman to Walker on PP. Wild up 3-1.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just started watching about 10 minutes ago. Nice goal from Fogarty that was started by Johansson.

And great feed from Beckman to Walker on PP. Wild up 3-1.
The possession was actually started by Fogarty, who fed Walker, who was very patient with the puck before feeding S Jo > Hicketts > Fogarty.

SJo is weirdly competent offensively. If he can get quicker feet, and be mildly competent defensively, he might go somewhere. He's got the size, and seems to have the knack of making the right play at the right time when he has the puck on his stick.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
The possession was actually started by Fogarty, who fed Walker, who was very patient with the puck before feeding S Jo > Hicketts > Fogarty.

SJo is weirdly competent offensively. If he can get quicker feet, and be mildly competent defensively, he might go somewhere. He's got the size, and seems to have the knack of making the right play at the right time when he has the puck on his stick.
Good call - my fault on not being clear. Should've just said secondary assist.

Yea, he has some good hockey IQ and better hands than I anticipated.

Walker just got the PP goal. Wonder if he has any more room for growth or will be a Kyle Rau type player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad