Minnesota 2023-2024 Affiliates Thread (Iowa Wild, Iowa Heartlanders)

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah, I don't think Walker or Beckman have proven at all they have what it takes to stick in an NHL line-up. Seem destined for Europe or career AHLers.
Both needed more beef to find higher level success. They move up, they can't muscle for position, get knocked off pucks too easy. Just end up as lesser versions of Sam Steel.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023

Didn't realize the new guy was teammates with Bankier - the two are on a line tonight and combined for the goal.

jeez gorgeous onetimer that he hit flush with full power and right on net while turning around on it.

if you ranked everyone, everywhere in the organization's hand-eye, his would have to be somewhere near the top. If he can just get the other parts of his game up enough to be playable its not too hard to imagine him tipping pucks net front and ripping off one-timers with some occasional PP time.

Reactions: Jbcraig1883

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Wild up 2-1 at end of 1. Were getting outplayed first half but seemed to wake up last half, especially last 5. PP goal from new guy Toporowski, setup from Bankier, so it already looks like those two have chemistry. Was a nice snipe - will post when I can.

Right after that, Butcher scores with a good screen in front.

Hunt almost scored at the end of the period.

Can't give you guys a shift by shift today - doing Sunday cleaning and other stuff while it's on in the background (with the MN Wild game, haha).

Last edited:
Reactions: Minnesota

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
What's the story here? Are they dead last in the league and traded away their best player?
What happened to Butcher? Is Johansson their best D at the moment?
Any chance they can finish strong with Lettieri and Lucchini back in the lineup?

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
What's the story here? Are they dead last in the league and traded away their best player?
What happened to Butcher? Is Johansson their best D at the moment?
Any chance they can finish strong with Lettieri and Lucchini back in the lineup?
With Russo mentioning Firstov possibly coming to Iowa, it will be interesting seeing them with Lucchini, Lettieri on a line, Bankier and Toporowski on a line, etc. I hope Simon coaches the rest of the way - they had the same lines for two games in a row and played much better.

Butcher is Cam Barker 2.0. Had a lot of points rookie season and then nothing. He is slow even in the AHL, etc.

I'd give it to Johansson over Hunt, slightly, for the last few weeks. Johansson being the 7th D/getting scratched seemed to make something click. Believe he has led the team +/- and put up almost a point a game in this span.

Random - Milne has better hands than people give him credit for - he has setup linemates a few times and they fumble it.

I am not sure if the Russian we got from Toronto has reported there, is injured, or what, but he did not suit up this last weekend. Would love to see him as well. Unsure what other prospects will make it to Iowa for a few games at the end of their respective seasons.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Thank's a lot!
I thought Hunt did ok when he was called up. So maybe Johansson is due for a game or two if the need arises in the future.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
With Russo mentioning Firstov possibly coming to Iowa, it will be interesting seeing them with Lucchini, Lettieri on a line, Bankier and Toporowski on a line, etc. I hope Simon coaches the rest of the way - they had the same lines for two games in a row and played much better.

Butcher is Cam Barker 2.0. Had a lot of points rookie season and then nothing. He is slow even in the AHL, etc.

I'd give it to Johansson over Hunt, slightly, for the last few weeks. Johansson being the 7th D/getting scratched seemed to make something click. Believe he has led the team +/- and put up almost a point a game in this span.

Random - Milne has better hands than people give him credit for - he has setup linemates a few times and they fumble it.

I am not sure if the Russian we got from Toronto has reported there, is injured, or what, but he did not suit up this last weekend. Would love to see him as well. Unsure what other prospects will make it to Iowa for a few games at the end of their respective seasons.
The Russian is staying with Toronto for their playoff run I believe as a weird loan scenario.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Toporowski hits iron 30 seconds into game. Outside of that, Wallstedt has made 2 very, very good saves. He looks like hes going to be hard to beat tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Toporowski hits iron 30 seconds into game. Outside of that, Wallstedt has made 2 very, very good saves. He looks like hes going to be hard to beat tonight.
Seems like the trade for Top was a good trade. Wonder if he’ll see time with the big club this year. Should definitely get it next year, if he’s still in the system

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Well, Iowa has been outshot 24-11 so far...have just had it on in the background. All I know is Bankier also hit a post. Guessing that line is the only one that has done anything...otherwise, it has been Wallstedt keeping them alive.

Reactions: Wonderful Tacos

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
If i can count, iowa has 13 games left. The funniest outcome would be for Firstov to wait until the last game of the season to make an appearance.

"See Billy? I play in AHL two years for you!"

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If i can count, iowa has 13 games left. The funniest outcome would be for Firstov to wait until the last game of the season to make an appearance.

"See Billy? I play in AHL two years for you!"

He's already been in the AHL for 2 years: 8 games and 1 game respectively. Add in 1 game this year and it'll be 10 games total over the span of 3 years.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Weird but good for the player to have a playoff run, which is also good for us.

The Athletic reported that Wild have no plans for him. Toronto needed to dump a contract to fit Dewar, and he was apparently expendable. Wild saw no need to bring him over, which is honestly a move I can appreciate. Guy gets to continue in the same team, and doesn't have to uproot his life.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Firstov is in the lineup! Have noticed him on PP - has made a few nice passes...whistled a shot just wide. 5 on 5 - haven't noticed that much. Probably be a transition for him but good to see him back.

Bankier has played well. Simon Johansson has the goal. Wallstedt been sharp as well. Chicago has some long time vets - Conacher, Terry, etc.

Wild and Wolves tied 2-2 with the third starting.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Wild play a strong third, probably one of the stronger periods I've observed this year. Goaltending strong on both sides. Walker ends up winning it in the shootout as Wallstedt stops all shooters. Thought Bankier was the best forward. These teams are both fighting for their season and have a rematch tomorrow...

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Johansson stopped on the penalty shot. Again, he's had a really good last month offensively. Defensively better as well - more physical/assertive. Just may have a shot at 6/7 D-man. I need to watch him a little closer though - he's not as mobile as Lambos, Hunt, and maybe even Spacek.

Reactions: Minnesota

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Johansson stopped on the penalty shot. Again, he's had a really good last month offensively. Defensively better as well - more physical/assertive. Just may have a shot at 6/7 D-man. I need to watch him a little closer though - he's not as mobile as Lambos, Hunt, and maybe even Spacek.
No, but he is longer than all of them, and is surprising adept when he has the puck. His downfall in the past is being weak, or at least hesitant, in the defensive zone. Tends to be mediocre in puck battles, and net front coverage, and doesn't have the quick stride to get to pucks.
Once he has the puck and is in full flight he's decent, and his decision making is good.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Milne capitalizes on bad turnover to make it 2-1, and then Toporowski scores shortly thereafter to make it 3-1. Toporowski is a gamer.

Milne with some great patience, toedrag, etc. Just didn't finish. Milne will be in the NHL at some point as a 4th liner with some chances to make it to a third line.

Last edited:

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
No, but he is longer than all of them, and is surprising adept when he has the puck. His downfall in the past is being weak, or at least hesitant, in the defensive zone. Tends to be mediocre in puck battles, and net front coverage, and doesn't have the quick stride to get to pucks.
Once he has the puck and is in full flight he's decent, and his decision making is good.
His downfall has also been gap coverage - getting beat wide. Haven't watched closely enough the last month to see if he's improved on that end.

He has definitely been stronger around the crease.

Reactions: Sweetnut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad