Minnesota 2023-2024 Affiliates Thread (Iowa Wild, Iowa Heartlanders)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
His downfall has also been gap coverage - getting beat wide. Haven't watched closely enough the last month to see if he's improved on that end.

He has definitely been stronger around the crease.
He was converted from forward at some time in his teens, so that might explain some of his deficiencies.

Reactions: Jbcraig1883

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Do you think he gets a shot down the stretch?
I havent watched any Iowa games in like a month and a half but everything he's said about Johansson's poor gaps and getting beat outside is 100% true and not just true but like painfully true.

He's not competitive for an NHL roster spot with the Wild in the near term as he is right now so idk what the point would be of giving him a look.

Reactions: Sweetnut

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
I havent watched any Iowa games in like a month and a half but everything he's said about Johansson's poor gaps and getting beat outside is 100% true and not just true but like painfully true.

He's not competitive for an NHL roster spot with the Wild in the near term as he is right now so idk what the point would be of giving him a look.
Thank you. I'm just thinking if Wild is out of the playoff race he might just get a look, if only to keep him motivated if you know what I mean.

Reactions: Wonderful Tacos

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Thank you. I'm just thinking if Wild is out of the playoff race he might just get a look, if only to keep him motivated if you know what I mean.
One thing I have noticed is that whenever there are articles by Russo/Smith regarding the D prospects, I don't recall seeing Johansson's name included in the young D. I could be totally wrong but those two are plugged in pretty good and I think they would've mentioned him.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Well, the 2nd has been ugly by the D so far. First, Lambos just...I don't know how to describe it but it's becoming too common...just loses the puck on a basic breakout. He also doesn't know when to pinch and gets caught in no man's land.

Peart, who I thought looked solid in the first, made back to back turnovers in own zone. I don't care though since its his first game.

Johansson just had a slight lead on the D and could have shot it but he decided to try to send it backwards to a trailer, but missed the pass and it led to a 2 on 1 the other way.

Wallstedt has kept them in this one.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
All different lines tonight. Ohgren playing left wing. Lambos back in. ROR and Spacek out.

Peart just made a really nice play on the rush to Firstov and then Firstov to Connelly.

McLean does nothing for me. Listening to his pregame talks, intermissions, an watching the team all season.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Milne has been the best forward. Creates turnovers, has shown above average offensive acumen, and plays PP and PK. Milne, Firstov, and Ohgren have been on top PP with Toporowski and Bankier on the second PP.

Trailing 2-1 but they have played pretty good tonight.

With a simple eye test, Peart looks better to me than Lambos and ROR. Peart has made some turnovers but its clear hes adjusting to the pace...

You can see Ohgren's skills but he tries to skate around/through people too much. Very strong along the boards though and great shot. Reminds me of a lot of 1st rounders - used to being able to hold onto puck whenever they want. Ohgren tried that a couple of times on the PP and it was a turnover.

And while I am writing this, Milne makes great play from corner to front of the net which leads to a goal. Milne has 7 points in 6 games.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
How have Firstov and Ohren looked Overall?
Firstov has tried a few fancy things - when its worked, it looks good, when it doesn't, its a bad turnover. His goal was pretty nice. I think he could have potential if he played an entire year in the AHL - he's got the shot/hands and is much stronger on the puck/going into traffic than I remember seeing in college.

Ohgren - already touched on this but he did look lost in the defensive zone a few times...didn't know what spot to go to and ended up puck watching. He's got the goods...just needs time to adjust.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Milne draws a penalty with 2:48 left. Milne has been the best player on the ice tonight. Let's see if Iowa can put one in to win.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Milne has been the best forward. Creates turnovers, has shown above average offensive acumen, and plays PP and PK. Milne, Firstov, and Ohgren have been on top PP with Toporowski and Bankier on the second PP.

Trailing 2-1 but they have played pretty good tonight.

With a simple eye test, Peart looks better to me than Lambos and ROR. Peart has made some turnovers but its clear hes adjusting to the pace...

You can see Ohgren's skills but he tries to skate around/through people too much. Very strong along the boards though and great shot. Reminds me of a lot of 1st rounders - used to being able to hold onto puck whenever they want. Ohgren tried that a couple of times on the PP and it was a turnover.

And while I am writing this, Milne makes great play from corner to front of the net which leads to a goal. Milne has 7 points in 6 games.
I said it before, he was a puck hog in the WJC and in the juniors. He did better after new years in the SHL though. When he is more familiar with the smaller ice, I'm hoping he can utilize his team mates and give and go, finding position for his one-timer that he had success with late in the season. I see he has 4 shots on goal.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
And the Wild lose in an 8 round shootout.

Ohgren looked rough in OT and whiffed during shootout. Granted ice was kinda crappy, he seemed to play a little anxious at times. Rushing passes that missed marks, etc. Still see the tools and it's only his second game.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
And the Wild lose in an 8 round shootout.

Ohgren looked rough in OT and whiffed during shootout. Granted ice was kinda crappy, he seemed to play a little anxious at times. Rushing passes that missed marks, etc. Still see the tools and it's only his second game.

I just want him to get comfortable on NA ice and get familiar with the team systems. Everything is new and different for him right now. So I'm expecting there to be mistakes and a learning curve.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I just want him to get comfortable on NA ice and get familiar with the team systems. Everything is new and different for him right now. So I'm expecting there to be mistakes and a learning curve.
Yep, that is what I wrote above about needing time to adjust, and then it only being his second game.

These are just observations watching the game, not final evaluations of the prospect. Just trying to provide some commentary for those that aren't able to watch because they aren't boring like me, lol.

Last edited:

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
And here is tonight's lineup. Same as last game I believe except ROR and Spacek back in lineup for Miller and Butcher.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
And here is tonight's lineup. Same as last game I believe except ROR and Spacek back in lineup for Miller and Butcher.

Seems like they're trying to split up the skill players? Ohgren, Bankier, Firstov, and Topski all on different lines.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Seems like they're trying to split up the skill players? Ohgren, Bankier, Firstov, and Topski all on different lines.
Yep. Personally I'd prefer Top with Bankier but Hain just scored lol. It was all Milne, though. For those of you following, Milne has been the most productive/best forward the last 7 games or so.

Not sure if anyone else is watching but Peart just had two really, really strong shifts. He's as mobile as Lambos (maybe not as fast N/S), good vision, and smart. The eye test on him in a small sample size in comparison to the other young D (excluding Hunt) passes.

Ohgren had a better first but really struggled on the most recent PP. A few turnovers trying to do too much.

EDIT: Beautiful pass from Peart to Walker - rebound to Topo, and its tied. Oh, and Milne was the person screening the goalie. And it may not actually be that beautiful from Peart, but considering the shitshow that the D have been being able to make some simple passes is a sight for sore eyes.

EDIT2: Looks like Milne got some of the shot, so Peart does not get the 2nd assist. So Milne 2 assists in the game.

EDIT3: Forgot to mention at the end of the 2nd. Ohgren had a very strong play along the boards to eventually feed it to the point so Simon Johansson got a scoring chance.

Last edited:

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Wild score early on in the third - Meireles from Hunt and Topo. Back on the PP. Ohgren had a turnover at the blue line but he was just high sticked so now should be a 5 on 3.

And Iowa, who was the better team the 2nd period and 18 minutes of the third, give up two goals late to lose 4-3.

Peart very good game - adjustments he has already made are obvious. Ohgren better 5 on 5 - very rough night on the PP. Milne again being productive and just very consistent shift-by-shift plays.

Last edited:

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I see Öhgren had 5 shots on goal. Did he look good today?
5 on 5, better than last two games. PP, he was a turnover machine and was just looking to do it all himself. It was even called out on the telecast. He is really good along boards, down low protecting the puck and spinning off guys. Two or three shots came on a 5 on three - he was far out and didn't have a great angle. I thought he could've made better decisions on that 5 on 3. But, the tools are obvious. Heavy shot, puck protection, etc.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
5 on 5, better than last two games. PP, he was a turnover machine and was just looking to do it all himself. It was even called out on the telecast. He is really good along boards, down low protecting the puck and spinning off guys. Two or three shots came on a 5 on three - he was far out and didn't have a great angle. I thought he could've made better decisions on that 5 on 3. But, the tools are obvious. Heavy shot, puck protection, etc.
Probably don’t have trust in the team yet. Thus trying to do everything himself

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I missed the second and most of the third, but the two guys that have really improved over the last month scored - Milne and Bankier. Peart with his first professional point.

Wild about to lose 6-2 and are officially out of the playoffs.

Here is Bankier's goal

EDIT: Ok I lied, Iowa score two in the last minute. So it will be 7-4. Spacek and Fogarty score late.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wonderful Tacos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad