Minnesota 2023-2024 Affiliates Thread (Iowa Wild, Iowa Heartlanders)

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Wild had a great start and Beckman put them up 1-0. However, on the PK, Shaw makde a terrible pass in offensive zone back to the point but it went right to the opponent which then led to a rush and easy goal. Tied 1-1.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Iowa ties it up on PP as Butcher takes a blast, hits traffic in front, and then its put home by Fogarty.

Wild follow it up with nice play by Shaw, even though he had to take a hit, gets it to Walker and Walker does a nice spin to backhand pass so Miller has empty net. Iowa up 3-2.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
One thing I was curious for ppls reactions about was Beckman not getting a game with the Wild yet.

Imo its fine bc I dont think he really did anything to push and deserve a chance in the NHL. He's had a little run recently scoring in the AHL and I didnt watch those games but mostly he's been a non-entity and if Hynes/Billy are saying he's not deserving of a game (I'm sure he'll get one or more soon anyway) then its not hard for me to believe them.

I just recently commented about not having a good idea where players are going until they're 23/24 but I also dont think players should move up a level until they're succeeding at the level theyre at (ideally dominating).

Seems like he's just up with the team bc there's cap space for him and a decision needs to be made on him bc of RFA status looming.. not bc he's actually done anything.

In the immortal words of Jacques Lemaire (pbuh) "this is the *N* *H* *L*, puh...leeeze!" (said wrt Colton Gillies if I recall correctly)

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
One thing I was curious for ppls reactions about was Beckman not getting a game with the Wild yet.

Imo its fine bc I dont think he really did anything to push and deserve a chance in the NHL. He's had a little run recently scoring in the AHL and I didnt watch those games but mostly he's been a non-entity and if Hynes/Billy are saying he's not deserving of a game (I'm sure he'll get one or more soon anyway) then its not hard for me to believe them.

I just recently commented about not having a good idea where players are going until they're 23/24 but I also dont think players should move up a level until they're succeeding at the level theyre at (ideally dominating).

Seems like he's just up with the team bc there's cap space for him and a decision needs to be made on him bc of RFA status looming.. not bc he's actually done anything.

In the immortal words of Jacques Lemaire (pbuh) "this is the *N* *H* *L*, puh...leeeze!" (said wrt Colton Gillies if I recall correctly)

They really should be carrying a 13th FWD and Beckman is the guy this time, and being waivers exempt helps. It's not like Iowa has anyone standing out that "should" be called up over him. The NHL team has won the last few games, and the other scrubs have been a part of that. So "if it ain't broke don't fix it" comes into play a little bit too.

Usually I'd want a vet to take the pressbox seat, and let the prospects get games in the AHL. With Iowa being a tire fire it's not a bad thing for Beckman to get out of there for a bit. Plus just being on the NHL roster is a nice payday for him.

I'd like to see him get into the games, but this is the life of callup. If/when he does get on the ice he needs to take his chance and run with it. He's running out of chances.

IIRC out of camp a few years ago Beckman was getting rave reviews on the off ice/lockerroom aspect side of things.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I’ve watched a fair amount of Beckman over the past couple of years. Decent AHL player, but has never been the best forward on the team, and usually not even in the top 3. Luchini and Lettieri don’t excite me, but they are playing a decent two way game when they get the chance, and recently have produced, and had some darn good shifts.

Petan and Walker have far out produced Beckman in the AHL. They are much better offensive players, and it’s not like Beckman is a checking demon. That’s what I think they are trying to develop Milne into.

Reactions: Wonderful Tacos

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I’ve watched a fair amount of Beckman over the past couple of years. Decent AHL player, but has never been the best forward on the team, and usually not even in the top 3. Luchini and Lettieri don’t excite me, but they are playing a decent two way game when they get the chance, and recently have produced, and had some darn good shifts.

Petan and Walker have far out produced Beckman in the AHL. They are much better offensive players, and it’s not like Beckman is a checking demon. That’s what I think they are trying to develop Milne into.

I think Petan has shown that he's not a NHL player, like very good AHL offensive player is where he topped out.

I don't think the gap is very wide between Walker and Beckman. I don't know what happened with Walker, but to me, he just looks like a worse version of the player he was before the ASG last season. I do think Walker had some incredible puck luck last year. His 22% sh% just isn't something that is sustainable for how he plays. He's not a net front guy (Foligno) whose numbers get skewed.

Maybe Walker plateaued and Beckman is still (slowly) raising is a better way to say things? This is all off of limited viewings. I've tuned into ~20 games this year, but haven't watched many full ones. It's just not worth my time and energy to watch bad hockey.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Petan has shown that he's not a NHL player, like very good AHL offensive player is where he topped out.

I don't think the gap is very wide between Walker and Beckman. I don't know what happened with Walker, but to me, he just looks like a worse version of the player he was before the ASG last season. I do think Walker had some incredible puck luck last year. His 22% sh% just isn't something that is sustainable for how he plays. He's not a net front guy (Foligno) whose numbers get skewed.

Maybe Walker plateaued and Beckman is still (slowly) raising is a better way to say things? This is all off of limited viewings. I've tuned into ~20 games this year, but haven't watched many full ones. It's just not worth my time and energy to watch bad hockey.
It’s possible. Just think that Walker has a better offensive game besides the shot, and even there, I think Beckman needs to improve when and how he releases the puck. Walker is clearly a better skater. Both need to get stronger, and I’m not sure that either will make a grindy forward, but Walker has a little bit of nasty to his game if he wants to, while Beckman has none.
I think Walker would be a decent middle sixer if he just had better strength, but time is running out for him.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It’s possible. Just think that Walker has a better offensive game besides the shot, and even there, I think Beckman needs to improve when and how he releases the puck. Walker is clearly a better skater. Both need to get stronger, and I’m not sure that either will make a grindy forward, but Walker has a little bit of nasty to his game if he wants to, while Beckman has none.
I think Walker would be a decent middle sixer if he just had better strength, but time is running out for him.

I think Walker has a body type that just doesn't add mass very well. He's gotten heavier/bigger, but he doesn't seem to wear it well. If that makes any sense? He's also a couple years older than Beckman. I just don't see Walker as being more than another Mayhew, Petan, or Pitlick. He's have to reinvent himself as a player like Shaw/Dewar did. My gut says he signs a 1 yr deal (the GM would be dumb not to QO him) then walks after being stuck in the AHL again next year.

If I wanted a pp guy it would be Walker all the way. I lean towards Beckman for the rest of the game situations. Beckman just plays a simpler game. Walker plays a more cerebral game, but seems just a half a tic slow in processing things (similar to Rossi the start of last season in the NHL), I do think Beckman has better in the d-zone play (neither are spectacular). Beckman really needs to add some bulk. If he could get to 185-190 lbs I think he could stick as a bottom-6er.

Milne is the guy in Iowa who I think "makes it". If he wasn't injured the first half of the season he'd probably be my first choice as a callup.

Bankier is looking good, but not NHL ready. A good offseason for him would really go a long ways to making him a decent callup option next year.

TurboRoach

Feb 14, 2024
Hello everyone,

Can you tell me what kind of player Mike O'Leary is?

Today he signed with finnish club, my own Tampere Ilves.

Ilves was looking for a bottom line player. Is O'Leary more a center or a winger? EP says LW/C.

What type of player is he in general? Is he any good at face-offs?

I'm grateful for any information.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I think Walker has a body type that just doesn't add mass very well. He's gotten heavier/bigger, but he doesn't seem to wear it well. If that makes any sense? He's also a couple years older than Beckman. I just don't see Walker as being more than another Mayhew, Petan, or Pitlick. He's have to reinvent himself as a player like Shaw/Dewar did. My gut says he signs a 1 yr deal (the GM would be dumb not to QO him) then walks after being stuck in the AHL again next year.

If I wanted a pp guy it would be Walker all the way. I lean towards Beckman for the rest of the game situations. Beckman just plays a simpler game. Walker plays a more cerebral game, but seems just a half a tic slow in processing things (similar to Rossi the start of last season in the NHL), I do think Beckman has better in the d-zone play (neither are spectacular). Beckman really needs to add some bulk. If he could get to 185-190 lbs I think he could stick as a bottom-6er.

Milne is the guy in Iowa who I think "makes it". If he wasn't injured the first half of the season he'd probably be my first choice as a callup.

Bankier is looking good, but not NHL ready. A good offseason for him would really go a long ways to making him a decent callup option next year.

Walker vs Beckman is an interesting conversation. Last weekend, Walker was playing lights out. This happens to be after the team got annihilated the previous weekend and had a 45 minute closed door meeting. I will be shocked if Walker continues that another weekend or two. I guess I am implying that I don't think Walker has the work ethic or is as engaged as he could be, and this is the area, besides the shooting, that I think Beckman has more of.

With that said, I think the stars have to align for Beckman to carve out an NHL career more than a couple hundred games, if that. As already mentioned, he isn't that much of a different player than three years ago. He understand the game better, and maybe doesn't shoot every time he gets the puck, but that is pretty much it imo. I'd be fine for him to see 10 games in with the Wild, though, to get a better gauge. While Lucchini and Vinni are better all around, they are what they are, so you might as well see what Beckman has...

I have said it from day 1 when seeing Milne in his first camp and last year, Milne will be an NHLer, it just depends on how much he can develop any offense. Is he going to be a Stephane Veillieux (he reminds me of a young Stephane in many ways), or is he going to develop more offense?

Agreed with Bankier - he needs a solid offseason of weights, nutrition, just more time to grow into his adult body, and a full year of AHL where he can focus on that offense because I think he has the hands, size, skating, and hockey IQ to perhaps be a 2nd liner.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Hello everyone,

Ilves was looking for a bottom line player. Is O'Leary more a center or a winger? EP says LW/C.

Can't speak for his faceoffs (honestly haven't paid attention to that) but he played in the bottom 6 and would finish checks, go to the net, and bring consistent effort for the most part. Not that great offensively so he will probably do just fine on your bottom lines. He may play some PK, be sound defensively, and chip in a point here and there.

Reactions: TurboRoach

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Hello everyone,

Big go-get-the-puck kinda forward. Not hugely skilled and doesnt play with a ton of pace but i hear finnish league is relatively slower pace so maybe not a problem. I think the expectation for him would be to help Ilves generally keep the puck in the offensive zone primarily as a bottom 6 winger that can play center when needed in a pinch. I cant imagine Ilves have a lot invested in him so I can see how it makes sense as something to try out.

I wonder if his now former teammate simon johansson gave him a sales pitch on Ilves/Finland/Tampere?

Reactions: TurboRoach

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Holy f***, Lambos just made a terrible pass in his own zone to a direct turnover that went right into the net. Texas up 2-0 and Wallstedt has played pretty good, saving at least two other plays that looked like sure-fire goals.

And 3-0 Texas. They are clearly a team that crumbles, especially without Shaw.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
ANother turnover led to breakaway - Wallstedt gets beaten easily 5-hole. Butcher almost scores shortly thereafter but is denied.

Damn, two on one between Milne and Walker, D takes the pass, Milne shoots it but Murray makes the glove stop. Milne's speed created that two on one after a turnover in the neutral zone.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Bankier hits the pipe...right after, Beckman puts home easy goal after Fogarty feeds him down low on PP.

Lambos gets a nice shot on net that stops play. Right after, Beckman takes the faceoff, puck kinda bouncing in dot, Beckman shoot/shovels it forward and it goes in. 4-4 tie game. I was wrong earlier, they did not quit and have come out to outshoot Texas 35-27.

And I spoke too soon, Lambos misses a puck coming out front and Texas up 5-4.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wonderful Tacos

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Beckman with another goal - been finishing pretty well last couple weeks in between the callup. 1-1.

Hunt makes a great play defensively - probably saves a goal...then Wallstedt make a great save shortly thereafter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad