Confirmed Trade: [MIN/BOS] Minnesota trades Charlie Coyle to Boston for Ryan Donato + 2019 5th Rd Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Cheap would have been someone like Kuraly

Your like 5th to 6th best prospect who has 9pts at 23 years old and wouldn’t be on your team in the playoffs is definitely cheap for a great #3C who’s signed for next year as well.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm a bit surprised at the praise for Coyle. He is always underwhelming when I watch Minnesota, and both his production and underlying metrics seem equally underwhelming as well.

Reactions: Menzinger

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Can you please tell everyone why Donato is "bad" and "a career 4th liner."

Hint - your response shouldn't contain the words "hes just bad bro"

Not sure if it's the same guy or not, but someone told me the exact same thing in the r/hockey discrd.. Donato's not some guaranteed "4th liner." Interesting narrative by him though.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I'm a bit surprised at the praise for Coyle. He is always underwhelming when I watch Minnesota, and both his production and underlying metrics seem equally underwhelming as well.

Boston fans are happy I think because he can contribute more than Donato can right now. Hes a player that can help right now on the third line (or indirectly by improving depth). To put it into perspective, not many think Donato will be better than what Coyle is right now.

This doesn't shift the balance of power in the NHL by any means, but there aren't many negatives here. Its a very strong depth move.

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
Good trade for the Bruins. Give up a non roster player for a solid veteran player who fills a signfigant hole in the lineup.

Jury is out on Donato. He's a 96 who hasn't shown he's an NHL proven player yet. He's getting to the make or break point in his young career. He has shown flashes of being a great sniper yet he's weak on the puck gets pushed around easily plus he is not an exceptional skater. Once players get to 23/24 it's really time step up show some solid progress, especially with so many young players pushing for those roster spots.

TJL48

Nov 30, 2011
St. Paul

I am a Wild fan and 100% agree. He disappears so much you forget he is on the team. Tuch has turned into what Coyle should have been. To bad the Wild let him go.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I’m jealous, don’t know much about Donato but he didn’t seem that special to me so this seem like a great deal for Boston
Donato probably has top 6 ceiling. Shown definite skills, but also definite flaws. If he can fix his flaws he should be able to at the very least sit as a middle 6 regular.

My guess is this, Bruins wanted to keep Donato, offered some other prospects in the system and a higher pick. Minnesota settled at taking Donato and a lower draft pick.

If Donato reaches his ceiling, it should be higher than what Coyle achieved there. At worst, I think you have a middle 6 forward that can grow with the rebuild.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Correct. They aren't better than Staal/Granlund the last couple years. Which isn't a slight because those two obviously are really good but it's not an upgrade in linemates

Nino wasn't supposed to be playing with better linemates either.

The midd 6 is abysmal and he's a clear upgrade there.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Realistically, Donato will likely match Coyle's production and NHL career in a couple years. He still has some question marks around his overall game, but he has a great shot. I think its a win for the Bruins because I didn't see Donato becoming the player the Bruins specifically would want him to be.

MaPawlys96

Aug 31, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
People are overrating Coyle big time, I don't understand after watching him every game for the past 5 years. Yes he's a big power forward that can you get some points. However, he's never going to hit more than 50 points. I do think he's a great fit for the Bruins squad that was in desperate need of a depth center but he's not good on faceoffs and struggles there. We've played him at both Wing and Center, trying to find the proper spot for him to succeed. You need to understand the Wild got 4 years younger, and saved a lot of money.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
People are overrating Coyle big time, I don't understand after watching him every game for the past 5 years. Yes he's a big power forward that can you get some points. However, he's never going to hit more than 50 points. I do think he's a great fit for the Bruins squad that was in desperate need of a depth center but he's not good on faceoffs and struggles there. We've played him at both Wing and Center, trying to find the proper spot for him to succeed. You need to understand the Wild got 4 years younger, and saved a lot of money.

You've obviously never seen Donato play. You traded away a serviceable NHL middle 6 player for a near 23 year old guy who couldn't even stick in the lineup of a team that was riddled with injuries. He's got one asset, his shot, and when he's too slow or too timid to get into position to use that asset, even that doesn't matter. My prediction? He goes out and lights it up, until guys get the book on him, then he fades. Just like Ryan Spooner to the Rags.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
They saved some money. Donato's going to need an extension and Coyle's only making $3.2m, so it'll be what? $1.5m-ish in cap space? It's something, but nothing to write home about.

I do think Coyle's capable of hitting 50 points, especially since he's already done it.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017

I am pretty happy to have him as a Bruin's fan. I don't feel like I am overrating him at all either. I expect him to play on the 3rd line and be an upgrade there. He has been more than that in the past so I I don't see how it could be overrating him. Coyle has twice as many points as the guys who he will be replacing, it's a nice upgrade.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny

it boils down to we gave up a NHL player for a prospect with a lot of holes in their game that have so far prevented them from earning a spot in the lineup. he evidently has a great shot, but not good enough to make up for the problems the Bruins saw. He can be a fit here though. "got younger" is a useless win if he doesn't fit in here. That's the fear. But right now: gave up an NHL player for an AHL player.

Reactions: Bazeek

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

I imagine you're right and I still love the trade for Boston. Coyle has a year left and the Bruins have plenty of cap space. Beyond that, they can re-sign him at whatever he's worth. He's still got a lot of years ahead of him. More importantly, he perfectly fits the two gaping holes in Boston's line-up, 3rd line centre and top-9 RW. The Bruins don't need him to score more than 50 points. They're already the 3rd best team in the NHL and they've done it with a black hole for a 3rd line and no help at RW. Anything he adds is gravy.

I think Donato is going to be a 25g, 15a guy but by the time he's ready to really contribute, the window with Krejci and Bergeron will be closed. There was just no way he was going to beat out the guys ahead of him at LW on Boston and he really, really struggled at RW. If there's a spot for him in Minnesota then it's a win-win.

MaPawlys96

Aug 31, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
You've obviously never seen Donato play. You traded away a serviceable NHL middle 6 player for a near 23 year old guy who couldn't even stick in the lineup of a team that was riddled with injuries. He's got one asset, his shot, and when he's too slow or too timid to get into position to use that asset, even that doesn't matter. My prediction? He goes out and lights it up, until guys get the book on him, then he fades. Just like Ryan Spooner to the Rags.

I have many times over the years, and throughout college. He's 22, it's not like he's 25.

MaPawlys96

Aug 31, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
They saved some money. Donato's going to need an extension and Coyle's only making $3.2m, so it'll be what? $1.5m-ish in cap space? It's something, but nothing to write home about.

I do think Coyle's capable of hitting 50 points, especially since he's already done it.

I said he wouldn't hit more than 50...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad