Confirmed Trade: [MIN/BOS] Minnesota trades Charlie Coyle to Boston for Ryan Donato + 2019 5th Rd Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Dude.... you just got a top prospect for a third liner that's Anne Frank in the offensive end... settle down.

A "top prospect" who at the age of 23 has a whopping 9pts.

For reference, hes from the 2014 draft. All these players have similar or better stats from the same draft:

Dal colle
Virtanen
Honka
Scherbak
Lemieux
Ho-Sang
Kamenev

Are these guys all still top prospects too? Donate has way too many holes in game at his age to expect top production from.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Great trade Boston. Even if Donato develop into a 2nd liner, at worst Coyle is a very good 3rd liner with offense. And the pick, nobody cares about. Boston gets immediate help for a real run and shot at the Cup. Great trade.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I don’t like this trade for Boston. I think Donato has 30 goal potential and still has tremendous upside. I am a Donato fanboy so I am basis. But, if given more opportunity, I feel like Donato will play really well. Look at Frankie Vatrano. Vatrano has 20 goals so far and i think Donato has much more upside than him.

Last edited:
Reactions: veganbruin

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Knowing Coyle very well having watched him play at BU. If Boston fans are expecting the big guy to go around using his size. You will all be very disappointed. He will score you some timely goals though.

How would you rate his 2 way play? Also which position is he better at W or C?

UVMCats

Feb 16, 2019
How would you rate his 2 way play? Also which position is he better at W or C?

Coyle is a very smart player. Great shot and pretty deceiving hands. His defensive play is above average. He is very effective when using his size. Unfortunately he doesn’t use it very often. You will get a sense of who he is in the playoffs. This is why Boston picked him up. He can be a monster power forward in the playoffs has playoff experi if he wants to. In my opinion which doesn’t mean all that much lol. Better winger. Oh yeah I forgot he is quite fast.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
In no particular order prospects ahead of Donato

Cehlarik
JFK
Bjork
Lauzon
Frederic
Vaakanainen
Studincka
Lauko

Donato was in the range of 6-10 for Bruins best prospect

And that’s not really a good thing considering the bruins have a pretty weak prospect system currently

Dont be that guy. Donato is a fine prospect with an allstar level shot. He is a hard worker who needs to round out his defensive game. Hes as valuable as anyone on that list and I'd only put Vaak ahead of him. He will have a long career and could easily be a 30 goal guy. The Bruins gave him up because he's stuck behind Marchand, Debrusk and Heinen at LW and because they have about a two year window right now. Plus Coyle is only 4 years older than Donato and they can re-sign him.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
Couldn't stand giving Donato any more ice time. One dimensional player with his snipe but thats about it. Needs to add size, IQ and some toughness to his game. Im not a huge Coyle fan either but he's an upgrade and is responsible. For a team with Cup intentions he's a definite serviceable but not great 3C. However he could surprise with change of scenery, hometown, playoff grit boost. Good trade IMO considering what we gave up.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Couldn't stand giving Donato any more ice time. One dimensional player with his snipe but thats about it. Needs to add size, IQ and some toughness to his game. Im not a huge Coyle fan either but he's an upgrade and is responsible. For a team with Cup intentions he's a definite serviceable but not great 3C. However he could surprise with change of scenery, hometown, playoff grit boost. Good trade IMO considering what we gave up.
That’s the one thing the Wild really need somebody who can and will shoot the puck.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I could see Donato cracking 30. He has the skill. Bruins rushed him into the line up despite half of providence being more deserving of the call up. He was gifted his icetime early on then was sent down twice. Not a good way to develop a prospect of his caliber. He needed a full year of AHL experience.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
That’s the one thing the Wild really need somebody who can and will shoot the puck.

You are going to like his shot, it's better than most NHL player's already. I think if he is on a team where he can get playing time then he could make a difference. He has flaws too and he definitely needs to work on his defensive game, but if he has someone to get him the puck and he is able to get open, he is going to score some goals.

It's easy to see the offensive talent is there, he just played the position where Boston has the most depth so he was expendable. He also didn't grab a spot when one became available like DeBrusk and Heinen did last year. I wish him well, I think he will have some success.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Coyle is a very smart player. Great shot and pretty deceiving hands. His defensive play is above average. He is very effective when using his size. Unfortunately he doesn’t use it very often. You will get a sense of who he is in the playoffs. This is why Boston picked him up. He can be a monster power forward in the playoffs has playoff experi if he wants to. In my opinion which doesn’t mean all that much lol. Better winger. Oh yeah I forgot he is quite fast.
Thanks. I think being the 3rd C behind Bergeron and Krejci. Coyle will be in a very effective against lesser match ups. Also the Bruins internal leadership group is very strong. He will be willed by guys like Bergeron to be the best he can be. From a Bruins stand point I like that he can play wing. Incase the Bruins want to fill the right wing spot on the 2nd line. Gives the B's a lot of flexibility.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I could see Donato cracking 30. He has the skill. Bruins rushed him into the line up despite half of providence being more deserving of the call up. He was gifted his icetime early on then was sent down twice. Not a good way to develop a prospect of his caliber. He needed a full year of AHL experience.

They didn't rush him, Donato had to be signed or he would have become an UFA, I am pretty sure they agreed to give him a shot in the NHL and that is why he signed. Now they traded him because he did not make the team and he wants a shot at the NHL. I believe it is Donato rushing them if anything.

To be fair, we all want someone who wants to make the NHL and not the AHL so it just goes to show how determined Donato is, it's not a negative thing.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Bruins get a player that is a pretty known quantity at this point in time.

Wild get a player with big upside (30/30) but could also end up in Europe in as few as two or three years.

This is one of those hockey trades that comes down to pro scouting. I'd guess Minnesota feels like they have a pretty good read on Donato based on what they saw on tape and in person.

Obviously what they saw doesn't match what most on HFBoards see, but, I mean, you at least have to appreciate where they are coming from.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
But let’s not act like he has Dono’s skating ability. Coyle could do okay if they hide him in the botto
dont post if you dont know what you are talking about,.donato's skating ability is his worst attribute.. right in front of his physicality.. i actually like him as a player but he has a LOT to figure out.. he could beat college/ last winter's olympic players based on talent but hasnt seem to figure out the nhl game.. he supposedly is a really hard worker off the ice but he was a complete no show this season sans a few snipes, as a fan he was extremely frustrating to watch when he was up.. we just traded for a guy that we were hoping donato would be .. with our aging core we made a trade for the present.. decent trade for both teams

Reactions: Dellstrom

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Bruins get a player that is a pretty known quantity at this point in time.

Wild get a player with big upside (30/30) but could also end up in Europe in as few as two or three years.

This is one of those hockey trades that comes down to pro scouting. I'd guess Minnesota feels like they have a pretty good read on Donato based on what they saw on tape and in person.

Obviously what they saw doesn't match what most on HFBoards see, but, I mean, you at least have to appreciate where they are coming from.

I mean in September everyone would be saying the Wild ripped the Bruins off. He wasn't physically ready for pro hockey and its clear that his ability to separate with his skates was less than hoped for when he started playing with pros. He still has the same upside, he just needs a good offseason. I think his comments saying that he thought he was NHL ready earlier this week wasn't a great look, but he does LOVE the game. He was on the ice all summer in a variety of leagues. This summer he needs to hit the gym. I think this trade will be a good wake up call for him and Wild fans will feel differently about this deal a year from now.

Reactions: Estlin

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Like this video of Coyle during a Wild - Jets game. Seems to have his head on his shoulders and appears he CAN bring a bit of a power/cycle game, which would bode well in BOS as they await Pastrnak’s return - and as 3C once the depth chart comes together.

Seems like a good trade for both teams.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Fenton is nice to his players: first he allows Niederreiter the chance to play alongside Aho. Then, he sends Chahlie Coyle back home. Very generous.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
I get the kid struggled and was sent to Providence but 6-7 means he’s been surpassed by two or more LW’s that weren’t even in the NHL...doesn’t make a ton of sense.
you're right it doesnt, which is why hes traded and not on the bruins roster.. weaknesses became a lot more pronounced with each game he played . its too bad would have rather seen him flourish with the team that drafted him than get traded for a player that helps us in the present

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad