Confirmed with Link: [MIN/AZ] Jack McBain to Arizona for 2022 2nd [UPD: 2-yr ELC signed]

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

From the article:
What Armstrong could sell McBain was the opportunity to play in the NHL right away, and that was something that the team that owned his rights, the Minnesota Wild, and numerous other teams could not offer.

“That’s the plan, to get a taste soon,” McBain said after his news conference at Gila River Arena on Wednesday. “It’s exciting to think about playing college hockey, Olympic hockey and NHL hockey all in one season.”

There were other opportunities for McBain to play NHL hockey quickly, however, and he did consider those. What closed the deal for McBain and his agent, Pat Morris, was the plan that the Coyotes delivered for everything from training and nutrition to McBain’s role and the goals of the franchise over the next three to five years.

“Jack could have signed with 15 different teams and not looked back and been satisfied with his decision,” Morris said. “It was that tough of a decision because there were so many attractive things about Team A, B or C.

“I just think Arizona’s presentation gave a very precise look into their internal workings and what they saw for Jack in the present and the future; how they were going to build through the draft with him being hopefully an instant impact player in their lineup.”

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Sorry for the ignorance as I haven't been following this closely, but why hasn't McBain played yet and when is he scheduled to get in for his first game?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Sorry for the ignorance as I haven't been following this closely, but why hasn't McBain played yet and when is he scheduled to get in for his first game?

He's day to day with an ankle injury

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Craig Morgan reported last Wednesday that he was skating with team staff but I don't believe there is a timetable for his debut.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Craig Morgan reported last Wednesday that he was skating with team staff but I don't believe there is a timetable for his debut.

Thanks for the update, although I'm surprised there is no further update since last Wednesday, and considering there are only a handful of games left. It would be a bit of a waste if he only got 3 or 4 games, so hopefully he can get in there soon.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Thanks for the update, although I'm surprised there is no further update since last Wednesday, and considering there are only a handful of games left. It would be a bit of a waste if he only got 3 or 4 games, so hopefully he can get in there soon.
Ankle injuries are notoriously tricky. Can’t be helped.

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
Even though the team seemed to promote their willingness to burn an ELC year, if he remains on IR does his contract slide? Capfriendly doesn’t show a slide but the site seems to have a little more issue keeping up with some details this year.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Even though the team seemed to promote their willingness to burn an ELC year, if he remains on IR does his contract slide? Capfriendly doesn’t show a slide but the site seems to have a little more issue keeping up with some details this year.
I'm not sure of exact rule but it seems players that get to burn a year sign contract for this season while those who don't get to burn a year sign for next season and finish this year on a PTO contract. I'm not sure if there is a need to "play"??

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
Thanks for the updates. Seemed like Craig Morgan was emphasizing that the Coyotes specifically were willing to burn a year vs other teams.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for the updates. Seemed like Craig Morgan was emphasizing that the Coyotes specifically were willing to burn a year vs other teams.
Great for AZ. They have less of a resume when they come up for their next contract. Good for player as he’s a year closer to arbitration and/or ufa status.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
" The Toronto product (McBain) had previously indicated he wouldn’t sign with Minnesota."

anyone recall why that was?
Closest answer I could find...

With the abundance of bottom-six forwards ahead of him in the Wild depth charts — Connor Dewar, Marco Rossi, Frédérick Gaudreau and new addition Tyson Jost — McBain’s best chance to have an NHL contract coming at the end of his NCAA career lies with another team. It’s why he has made it clear to the Wild that he won’t sign with the team and why it’s now on GM Bill Guerin to recoup any assets he can for the once-promising prospect.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
" The Toronto product (McBain) had previously indicated he wouldn’t sign with Minnesota."

anyone recall why that was?
Opportunity and path to play immediately. Easier to make AZ roster than Minni. This is why u have to entice players to sign before u lose their rights and they have options. After year 2 or 3 they begin to get the power to choose simply by waiting team out.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Opportunity and path to play immediately. Easier to make AZ roster than Minni. This is why u have to entice players to sign before u lose their rights and they have options. After year 2 or 3 they begin to get the power to choose simply by waiting team out.
I do wish they would 'close' that loophole in the CBA. We've been there, it's painful as a fan to watch your team draft a kid and then get spurned when the fanbase has watched the kid mature.

it's just better for the league to close that loophole. Hey, if the kid wants to 'ask' for a trade, so be it, but at least the organization is getting something in return. (outside of 1st round picks in which you get a compensatory pick in the 2nd round commiserate with your loss)

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I do wish they would 'close' that loophole in the CBA. We've been there, it's painful as a fan to watch your team draft a kid and then get spurned when the fanbase has watched the kid mature.

it's just better for the league to close that loophole. Hey, if the kid wants to 'ask' for a trade, so be it, but at least the organization is getting something in return. (outside of 1st round picks in which you get a compensatory pick in the 2nd round commiserate with your loss)
Might be better for the league but, it is good for players to have freedom to choose their own path. Also gives opportunities for organizations to shine beyond merely drafting as it would appear the Coyotes have McBain because of Armstrong making a nice case for this being the best spot for the player...see post 101 in this thread.

Reactions: barriers

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
We all know Arizona is a nice place to play, the players have all said it, and obviously with a new arena we become even more attractive...I just 'hate' that it's a loophole and can be exploited.

Much like the LTR component allowing teams to be over the cap during the playoffs.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
We all know Arizona is a nice place to play, the players have all said it, and obviously with a new arena we become even more attractive...I just 'hate' that it's a loophole and can be exploited.

Much like the LTR component allowing teams to be over the cap during the playoffs.
I just dont see it as a loophole. It is operating as intended. Young player gets drafted, he can sign an elc with the team that drafted him or he can wait and sign with whomever. No human should be obligated to work for someone, if they do not do so of their own freewill and the player has not committed to a team until he has signed a contract with them.

Further, it is incentive for the drafting team to work effectively with the player and make wise management decisions. If it looks like it is not going to work out with the player, the team still has a (typically) tradeable asset. In this case, Minny took a 63oa and turned it into a 47oa so, at least by one measurement, they benefitted and the player benefitted by getting to the NHL sooner.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00