Friedman: Miller extension unlikely with Canucks, timeline doesnt fit, and trade offers are going to be too good to pass up

Sebastien

May 1, 2022
Considering Lundqvist, 2022 1st and Chytil didnt move the needle enough to move him this year. I would assume the return is going to be a but bigger then what you are thinking
You can ask, your gm can but teams won't pay it

well apparently creditable NHL insider are reporting something completely different than your opinion
Something they are being sppon fed by media friendly JR? Common sense says teams didn't by into JR demands through media, so he's doing the same thing. If teams wanted him badly, they would have paid asking price

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I would hate to see Miller to the leafs I don’t think 1 year of Miller is worth 3 of Nylander.

I think he’s worth less then Eichel and Erik Karlsson when he was traded from Ottawa

1st round pick, Top prospect, roster player

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
You can ask, your gm can but teams won't pay it

Something they are being sppon fed by media friendly JR? Common sense says teams didn't by into JR demands through media, so he's doing the same thing. If teams wanted him badly, they would have paid asking price

that's a whole lotta speculation... I find it funny that someone would come up with a make believe story over a hockey trade, you need to apply for a job at Disney

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Vancouver isn't getting what they think he's worth due to being a rental when teams didn't when he wasn't one

You have zero idea what his value is. All it takes is 2 desperate GM’s bidding against each other to raise prices. Early exits from Toronto, Florida and Boston could be just what JR and Allvin were hoping for.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
with retention many can be there.

with an RFA a team could sign 1 yr and retain.

the markets going to be saturated. There are others I didn’t mention.

Miller is the oldest among them which will hurt his perceived value. Nobody is signing him to 6 yrs at 30.
If Vancouver thinks it's a good idea to sign Miller long-term, then that's what would happen.

If they don't think it's such a good idea, then there's a reason for that. Other teams probably have the same idea, too.

He's a rental.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
You have zero idea what his value is. All it takes is 2 desperate GM’s bidding against each other to raise prices. Early exits from Toronto, Florida and Boston could be just what JR and Allvin were hoping for.
Keep your hopes up, hey?

Kinda reminds me of the Robero Luongo [non-]bidding war. Canucks fans wanted a player, a prospect and a pick, because everyone would want him. It turns out almost nobody did.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Would hate to see the Canucks wait to long and then have to move him for a lot less in season. I don't like the Canucks but I'm tired of Canadian teams getting dunked on and hope they get a really good deal, just not from Toronto.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Keep your hopes up, hey?

Kinda reminds me of the Robero Luongo [non-]bidding war. Canucks fans wanted a player, a prospect and a pick, because everyone would want him. It turns out almost nobody did.

That’s not how it went with Luongo at all…

Anyways, very curious to see how things go with Miller. I think a top prospect, a good young player, and a 1st is a reasonable return. If we retain 50%, maybe we can squeeze an extra 2nd round pick. Hopefully the players we get fit organizational need, that’s the main thing. We really need a RHD defensive / two-way defender as a top priority, and a center would be nice as well.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
That’s not how it went with Luongo at all…

Anyways, very curious to see how things go with Miller. I think a top prospect, a good young player, and a 1st is a reasonable return. If we retain 50%, maybe we can squeeze an extra 2nd round pick. Hopefully the players we get fit organizational need, that’s the main thing. We really need a RHD defensive / two-way defender as a top priority, and a center would be nice as well.
Your hopes for the trade are reasonable and should be met. Other Canucks fans are out to lunch with their expectations.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Miller 50% for Whitecloud, Brisson & Dorofeyev
Whitecloud and two prospects that don't really fill needs our GM/President/Coach have already outlined doesn't really move the needle for me. Brisson as a center is a plus, and Whitecloud is an RHD, but I just don't see the upside with either of them being what we need to be focusing on.

Plus the last time we took a defender back from Vegas for cap reasons, it didn't work for us at all.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Keep your hopes up, hey?

Canucks got Markstrom in that deal.
Anyways Miller’s contract situation is a lot better than Luongos so the two situations are hardly analogous. Nice try though

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Keep your hopes up, hey?

That is nothing like the Luongo situation because there is no NTC involved (that's why Toronto who desperately wanted him didn't get him).

Luongo had years left on the contract, Miller has one that could be extremely reasonable if the Canucks retain. Imagine having a 1st line player making the same salary hit as a bottom 6 defenseman or a 3rd/4th line winger.

If there is a bidding war, the Canucks could capitalize with picks coming back because clearing out cap is also in the plans for the Canucks.

Reactions: Cogburn

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
That is nothing like the Luongo situation because there is no NTC involved (that's why Toronto who desperately wanted him didn't get him).

Luongo had years left on the contract, Miller has one that could be extremely reasonable if the Canucks retain. Imagine having a 1st line player making the same salary hit as a bottom 6 defenseman or a 3rd/4th line winger.

If there is a bidding war, the Canucks could capitalize with picks coming back because clearing out cap is also in the plans for the Canucks.

That poster must be confusing Miller with OEL.

Reactions: Cogburn

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Looking at Toronto they probably need Miller more than most but the problem is they can only keep him as a rental while if the report of a strong market for Miller is to believed other teams will be looking to sign and trade. So doesn't seem like it would work... but I'm wondering if you could get creative and make it a 3-way trade where Nylander passes through to the 3rd team. Nylander is a solid player but Vancouver's new management will be trying to clean up Jim Benning's mess clearing salary and building the prospect pool back up, but would be attractive to a number of low cap teams looking to step up. On Toronto they could capitalize on a salary retained(?) Miller for one season then extend him at Nylander's cap hit.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Looking at Toronto they probably need Miller more than most but the problem is they can only keep him as a rental while if the report of a strong market for Miller is to believed other teams will be looking to sign and trade. So doesn't seem like it would work... but I'm wondering if you could get creative and make it a 3-way trade where Nylander passes through to the 3rd team. Nylander is a solid player but Vancouver's new management will be trying to clean up Jim Benning's mess clearing salary and building the prospect pool back up, but would be attractive to a number of low cap teams looking to step up. On Toronto they could capitalize on a salary retained(?) Miller for one season then extend him at Nylander's cap hit.
Miller isn't going to settle for a penny under 8.5 million on a 6 or 7 year deal. He makes no sense for the leafs long term. Great player but the last 3 years of that deal will be bad.

Reactions: kinghock

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
When you break down the teams that need Miller, can afford to resign him long term, and have the assets to trade for him, and fit the timeline of the team, the list is very short. Maybe 4 or 5 teams maximum.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Lysell also seems to be on their radar but I imagine even with Miller at 2.65 Vancouver has to add. That's a package any fan would be happy with.

If Vancouver trades Miller @ 50% retention and ADDS for a 5' 10' winger who has yet to play an NHL game... I might just cry.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
He will be traded to either the Bolts or Avs, whichever is the team that loses the Stanley Cup -final showdown.

Reactions: kinghock

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Miller isn't going to settle for a penny under 8.5 million on a 6 or 7 year deal. He makes no sense for the leafs long term. Great player but the last 3 years of that deal will be bad.
No one knows how much Miller is asking for (I'd figure it's in the Hertl-Landeskog-Zibanajed range but adjust for age), but with Nylander just a hair under $7M you're only looking at needing an extra $1-$1.5M against the cap starting the 23-24 season, not too hard to find and can probably be covered with cap inflation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad