Friedman: Miller extension unlikely with Canucks, timeline doesnt fit, and trade offers are going to be too good to pass up

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Friedman with a radio hit on the Don and Dhaliwal show.

- Extension looking unlikely with the Canucks and Miller as Canucks doesnt see Miller's age fitting their core competitive window.
- Trade offers have started and this is playing a role in the Canucks decision as Friedman believes there will be a bidding war and some of the offers they have or will receive will just be too good to pass up.
- Friedman speculates that win now teams will be interested as well as teams who feel they have a young core and need 1 more big veteran piece to add to be competitive.
- Miller is willing to re-sign in Vancouver but not for a hometeam discount as likely this is his last and only big pay day. Term can be anywhere from 5-7 years.
- Extension with Miller cant be signed until July 13th ( after the draft) so likely any 1st round trade offers for Miller will be for 2023. Canucks like this idea anyway as the 2023 NHL draft is considered way stronger than 2022.
-Teams have inquired if Canucks are willing to do Salary retention, the answer is yes which would make Miller at 2.6AAV but Friendman says that will just cost the trading team even more assets.
- Friedman adds that this is a rare occasion and it doesnt happen very often that a top line Centre coming off almost 100 points gets traded the following season with term left on contract.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Dubas needs to be in on this even if it is just a 1 season rental espically if he can be had at 2.65 million

I think Miller would be a great fit in Toronto and would bring a specific skill that is needed for playoff hockey.

Nylander has been beaten to death by both fan bases, and frankly its boring...

can you think of an offer that doesnt include Nylander?

Watch Tampa win this year and get Miller back for a run at a 4 peat :laugh:

Miller would be a ridiculous snag for Tampa at 2.75 AAV.. can u imagine! lol...

The only thing is Tampa doesnt have the assets anymore to acquire Miller as they have gone all in for a few years now unless they are willing to move a roster player like Sergachev, Cernak or Cirelli as part of the deal.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Can't say I blame them. It's a huge gamble to sign him to a big contract let alone trade large assets for him. Which Miller are you getting? Career high of 58 points between NYR and Tampa. Then went PPG(72 in 69) in his first year with Vancouver, was outscored by Boeser last year and only had 46 in 53 and was a superstar this year. Not sure I want to drop so many assets and risk a 9+ AAV on such a gamble.

Definitely a monster piece as a rental though.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I think Miller would be a great fit in Toronto and would bring a specific skill that is needed for playoff hockey.

The only thing is Tampa doesnt have the assets anymore to acquire Miller as they have gone all in for a few years now unless they are willing to move a roster player like Sergachev, Cernak or Cirelli as part of the deal.
What would the Canucks like from the Leafs?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Somehow, BriseBois always finds a way to acquire the guy he wants. I wouldn't put it past him to pull something out of his rear end.

They don't technically have a "need" for him but man just imagine how great he'd be there in the top 6.

(yes he was previously a Bolt but I am assuming he got a lot more ice time with VAN, hence his breakout)

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Somehow, BriseBois always finds a way to acquire the guy he wants. I wouldn't put it past him to pull something out of his rear end.

They don't technically have a "need" for him but man just imagine how great he'd be there in the top 6.

(yes he was previously a Bolt but I am assuming he got a lot more ice time with VAN, hence his breakout)

Yes, has just blossomed in Vancouver.

Kills Penalties, plays PP1, takes faceoffs, Alpha in dressing room, swiss army knife for Vancouver.

217 pts in 202 games for Canucks.

18 points in 17 playoff games for Canucks

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
What would the Canucks like from the Leafs?

Not familiar with Leafs system..

CAnucks needs are

- top end Dman prospect- preferably RD
- draft picks
- roster players 25 and under with size and speed
- 3C Centre Right shot is also a need

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I think if it happens, it does include Nylander

but if they did find a way to do where they didn't have to include Nylander particularly at 2.65 millio0n

and you could have a top 6

Miller Matthewxs Marner

Bunting Tavares Nylander

or you leave Bunting where he is and have Miller Tavares Nylander as the 2nd line

either way that would be awesome.

On the other hand If you can move Nylander in a deal for Miller even without retention on Miller that does help Toronto's cap.

If Vancouver is willing to retain 50% that would be huge

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Boston probably too - Haula/Coyle are their other top 9 centres and Bergeron could retire.
Possibly. I didn’t include them without knowing if Bergeron is coming back. If Big Berg comes back, I could see them in the mix too. If he doesn’t, Boston probably wouldn’t want to give up a ton of future for Miller not knowing how their season will go.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I think if it happens, it does include Nylander

but if they did find a way to do where they didn't have to include Nylander particularly at 2.65 millio0n

and you could have a top 6

Miller Matthewxs Marner

Bunting Tavares Nylander

or you leave Bunting where he is and have Miller Tavares Nylander as the 2nd line

either way that would be awesome.

On the other hand If you can move Nylander in a deal for Miller even without retention on Miller that does help Toronto's cap.

If Vancouver is willing to retain 50% that would be huge

Nothing against Nylander, but Vancouvers least needs is winger.

They have Pettersson playing wing at times, Boeser, Garland, Podkolzin, Hoglander. Pearson is still servicable as well..

Nylander is also only under contract for 2 more year and could walk just as when Van is wanting to compete.

Miller is the biggest trade chip in 20 years for the franchise, i doubt they use it on a winger like Nylander.

If id guess, they are targeting young top prospects on ELC or cost controlled or high end young Dmen.

From the Leafs id offer
To Canucks
2022 1st
2023 1st
Niemela - high end Rd prospect
Engvall big Lw/C capable of 15 to 20 goals
To
Toronto
Miller @ 50% retained

Thats a meh offer especially considering those 1sts arent even top 16 and likely low end 1st rounders.

I think that offer gets beaten easily, especially with Miller at 50%.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Nothing against Nylander, but Vancouvers least needs is winger.

They have Pettersson playing wing at times, Boeser, Garland, Podkolzin, Hoglander. Pearson is still servicable as well..

Nylander is also only under contract for 2 more year and could walk just as when Van is wanting to compete.

Miller is the biggest trade chip in 20 years for the franchise, i doubt they use it on a winger like Nylander.

If id guess, they are targeting young top prospects on ELC or cost controlled or high end young Dmen.

Thats a meh offer especially considering those 1sts arent even top 16 and likely low end 1st rounders.

I think that offer gets beaten easily, especially with Miller at 50%.
If the Canucks can get more then you obviously do it.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Just trade him to the Rangers for Schnieder, 2023 1st, Chytil and a 2nd and be done with it. Both teams want it done so why not
Rangers don't have the cap to offer him a big, long term contract. If NYR were getting Miller, they missed the window since they would have wanted him for this current playoffs. This is a 1 year 2C bandaid if Rangers made the trade. Or it's a 1 year 1RW bandaid as they then need a 2C.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Other teams i see being in the hunt for Miller:

LA
Nashville
Minny
Colorado
Florida
Columbus
Yeah I think I'd prefer any one of these teams compared to the other four that were listed. They all have better pieces and most have enough cap space to not send back another horrible dump to break even.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad