Friedman: Miller extension unlikely with Canucks, timeline doesnt fit, and trade offers are going to be too good to pass up

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I'd be hard-pressed to do Garland+ for Nylander. He offers put team none of what we want or need, is more expensive and is only 3 years younger then Miller, and the same age as Garland, and both bring more to our team than Nylander.

Toronto doesn't have the assets we want, plain and simple.

How many forwards does Vancouver have better than Nylander in your estimation?

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
maybe they don't have the assets YOU want but you aren't running the team

JR has said the Canucks need to get bigger/grittier so trading two of our most gritty top 6 players for a soft winger makes zero sense. Nylander makes no sense to Vancouver, he doesn’t fit in with our roster and the team will be too small and soft in the top 6. I really don’t see a move here with the Leafs because you don’t have what Van needs, it would have to be a 3 way deal if there’s a deal to be had.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
maybe they don't have the assets YOU want but you aren't running the team
Rutherford, Allvin and Boudreau , among others have put out a list of what they want, and all three statements line up. They want more speed (Garland and Miller are just as fast), skill (Miller beats Nylander), cap flexibility (Nylander is more expensive than either Miller or Garland), to get younger (Garland is the same age and Miller is a mere 3 years older) and more roster flexibility (both can play all three forward positions, at least on paper for Garland and do more than score).

Toronto is capped out, can't offer prospects that would be worth it to us, have insisted on not moving their first round pick, and every asset they possess is much, much more cap heavy.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I
Your proposed trade makes no sense for the Canucks, and a hell of a lot of sense for the Leafs.

Take out Garland and make the base Miller vs Nylander, and it's a lateral trade at best for the Canucks.
didn't propose any trades

I DID say I could say a deal around Built around Nylander and Miller and I could.

I DID say I could see it expanding into a bigger deal that included Garland because we know that Dubas has tried to acquire Garland

either way Nylander would likely be involved.

I DID say I expect a big move and I do because because as I said this is Dubas's last year under contract and Matthews is a year away from being able to sign an extension.

so Yes I DO expect a big move or 2 and I wouldn't be 1 bit surprised if inculded Miller, or Garland, or both

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Maybe it's an even bigger deal where it's something like

Miller+ Garland

for Nylander+ another player

Maybe Vancouver Swaps 2 wingers for 1 winger in Nylander and another player
Miller played 80% of his shifts at center last season. Vancouver is likely going to want either a young center or defenseman as the centerpiece of any trade. Moving Miller for Nylander, who's more expensive and only signed for a year longer than Miller, literally makes no sense.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I

I DID say I could say a deal around Built around Nylander and Miller and I could.

I DID say I could see it expanding into a bigger deal that included Garland because we know that Dubas has tried to acquire Garland

I DID say I expect a big move and I do because because as I said this is Dubas's last year under contract and Matthews is a year away from being able to sign an extension.

so Yes I DO expect a big move or 2 and I wouldn't be 1 bit surprised if inculded Miller, or Garland, or both
As others have said it makes no sense from Vancouver’s point of view for the reasons already stated.
Frankly I’m not sure I see the logic from the Leafs point of view either as you would think Nylander would be used to acquire a goalie or another D as well.
Maybe Dubas thinks a player like Miller even for a year could push the team over the top but that’s a big gamble and that doesn’t seem to fit his style.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I

only way a deal around Nylander for Miller COULD be done is if there’s a third team involved that has the pieces the Canucks are looking for… and at that point that team may decide to cut the Leafs out and take Miller over Nylander…

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Other teams i see being in the hunt for Miller:

LA
Nashville
Minny
Colorado
Florida
Columbus
I doubt Columbus too. Miller is 29 years, UFA after the next season. Even if he will be resigned, value for him would be too big. Plus he wants 5-7 years contract, it's to 34-36 years.

Reactions: kinghock

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Smart move by Canucks brass.

You have a 100pt player that will never be worth more than he is today. That player is likely to decline in the next 3-5 years. You also have cap issues due to a complete moron running the ship in years prior.

Replenish your pipeline now while you have the chance.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I think LA makes the most sense as they have loads of RHS D prospects and feel they can contend soon.
I don't however think they'll give up Clarke to get him.

touchnotthecat

Dec 29, 2014
If Bergeron retires I can see Boston trying hard to get Miller. Carlo and Trent Frederic both fit the narrative that Vancouver management has been preaching. Lysell also seems to be on their radar but I imagine even with Miller at 2.65 Vancouver has to add. That's a package any fan would be happy with.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Would love Miller on the Leafs assuming a deal is to be had. Would consider trading Nylander for it as well. Imaging him with Matthews and Marner and then being able to move Bunting to Tavares' wing instead. Trade Nylander for defensive help and the team becomes way more complete.

The Canucks need defense and a play driving 3C. Swapping two top 6 forwards (one with 100 point capability and top end FO ability) for a ppg guy who's 3 years younger and the same age respectively (and only proven to be able to put up PPG) doesn't make much sense.

That 'other player' would have to be a pretty good defenseman for me to consider that kind of trade.
Would you consider Nylander and Sandin for Garland+Miller? Fits within your team's time line, more scoring and a guy who can grow on your blue line. Incredible at running the PP as well in case Hughes ever gets injured. Just curious.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If Bergeron retires I can see Boston trying hard to get Miller. Carlo and Trent Frederic both fit the narrative that Vancouver management has been preaching. Lysell also seems to be on their radar but I imagine even with Miller at 2.65 Vancouver has to add. That's a package any fan would be happy with.

So Carlo, Lysell, Frederic for Miller+? Not terrible depending on what the + is. But I would imagine they'll be looking for an offer that includes either a more dynamic defenseman or a young center instead of a winger in Lysell.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Other teams i see being in the hunt for Miller:

LA
Nashville
Minny
Colorado
Florida
Columbus
core pieces coming back that addresses Vancouver's needs would be

LA - Mikey Anderson. ______then Fagemo, Clarke, ...Kirsanov interesting, not so sold on Turcotte anymore compared to what itll cost to acquire him.
Nashville - Jeannot, Fabbro
Colorado - Newhook, after heavy consultation with medical staff Byram.
Florida - Weegar? Lundell ...one can dream
Columbus - Peeke, Sillinger, Marchenko is interesting

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The market will be saturated with 1-2 yr to UFAplayers in

Fiala
Padternik ( possibly)
larkin ( possibly)
nylander ( possibly)
Malkin (UFA)
Forsberg ( UFA)
Schieffe
Huberdeau
and others

a few are left standing when the music ends

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The market will be saturated with 1-2 yr to UFAplayers in

Fiala
Padternik ( possibly)
larkin ( possibly)
nylander ( possibly)
Malkin (UFA)
Forsberg ( UFA)
Schieffe
Huberdeau
and others

a few are left standing when the music ends
I doubt most of those even hit the market.

Reactions: Raistlin

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
core pieces coming back that addresses Vancouver's needs would be

LA - Mikey Anderson. ______then Fagemo, Clarke, ...Kirsanov interesting, not so sold on Turcotte anymore compared to what itll cost to acquire him.
Nashville - Jeannot, Fabbro
Colorado - Newhook, after heavy consultation with medical staff Byram.
Florida - Weegar? Lundell ...one can dream
Columbus - Peeke, Sillinger, Marchenko is interesting
For the Avs, possibly on Newhook but that's a big no on Byram.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I think Miller would be a great fit in Toronto and would bring a specific skill that is needed for playoff hockey.

Nylander has been beaten to death by both fan bases, and frankly its boring...

can you think of an offer that doesnt include Nylander?

Yeah, but TO fans aren't going to like it: Knies + 1st in 2023 + another B+ prospect (maybe even Niemela)

It's probably more likely that it's a 3 team deal (if it were to happen) with Nylander going to Team X, and then a combination of the Nylander return assets with some TOR assets if they're not willing to part with Knies or Niemela or whatever. Plus they're going to need the cap space from Nylander anyway.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
How many of those could count only $2.625M against the cap for next season?
with retention many can be there.

with an RFA a team could sign 1 yr and retain.

the markets going to be saturated. There are others I didn’t mention.

Miller is the oldest among them which will hurt his perceived value. Nobody is signing him to 6 yrs at 30.

Reactions: Ciao and kinghock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad