Friedman: Miller extension unlikely with Canucks, timeline doesnt fit, and trade offers are going to be too good to pass up

Sebastien

May 1, 2022
Vancouver isn't getting what they think he's worth due to being a rental when teams didn't when he wasn't one

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
with retention many can be there.

with an RFA a team could sign 1 yr and retain.

the markets going to be saturated. There are others I didn’t mention.

Miller is the oldest among them which will hurt his perceived value. Nobody is signing him to 6 yrs at 30.

None of those teams, save maybe Larkin in Detroit(doubt they’re considering moving him) are going to be retaining salary.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Kind of makes me feel old knowing JT Miller is after his "last big money contract" when I remember advocating to draft him in 2011. Unfortunately he went before the Habs picked. Armia was next on my list. Of course the Habs got Beaulieu, a can't miss top 5(North American prospects) rated prospect.

touchnotthecat

Dec 29, 2014
So Carlo, Lysell, Frederic for Miller+? Not terrible depending on what the + is. But I would imagine they'll be looking for an offer that includes either a more dynamic defenseman or a young center instead of a winger in Lysell.

I think the opposite. With Hughes and Rathbone Vancouver have two very dynamic defensemen that need partners. If Rathbone makes the team next year in a sheltered 3rd pair/2nd PP role he and Schenn are a good fit and Carlo can play with Hughes/OEL.
Yes Lysell isn't the perfect prospect to target but I mean he's pretty good and been mentioned in the media previously so I assume he would be in any deal with Boston.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
core pieces coming back that addresses Vancouver's needs would be

LA - Mikey Anderson. ______then Fagemo, Clarke, ...Kirsanov interesting, not so sold on Turcotte anymore compared to what itll cost to acquire him.
Nashville - Jeannot, Fabbro
Colorado - Newhook, after heavy consultation with medical staff Byram.
Florida - Weegar? Lundell ...one can dream
Columbus - Peeke, Sillinger, Marchenko is interesting
Kings are not trading any of those players for Miller. Anderson coming off of injury played a good in the playoffs and showed some toughness and snarl. Kings like what they have in Fagemo as a scoring winger and Clarke is a non-starter. The Kings traded up in last year's draft for Kirsanov, who was good in the Worlds before it ended. He's a tough defensively minded defenseman who can move he puck. The King's management still likes Turc and he's not going anywhere at this point.

Reactions: kinghock

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Kings are not trading any of those players for Miller. Anderson coming off of injury played a good in the playoffs and showed some toughness and snarl. Kings like what they have in Fagemo as a scoring winger and Clarke is a non-starter. The Kings traded up in last year's draft for Kirsanov, who was good in the Worlds before it ended. He's a tough defensively minded defenseman who can move he puck. The King's management still likes Turc and he's not going anywhere at this point.
Your 10th ranked prospect and your 7th round pick sounds fair.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He would be perfect for Tavares, I wonder what the cost us. Would have to be a grade A prospect + 1st + a little more

If I'm Vancouver I'm asking for Lily + 1st +

If he was acquired there is a part of me that would like to see

Miller Matthews Marner

I get that Bunting Matthews Marner was good, it was very good

But if you could get somehow Miller without giving up Nylander I think you got to try Miller Matthews Marner

then Bunting Tavares Nylander

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think the opposite. With Hughes and Rathbone Vancouver have two very dynamic defensemen that need partners. If Rathbone makes the team next year in a sheltered 3rd pair/2nd PP role he and Schenn are a good fit and Carlo can play with Hughes/OEL.
Yes Lysell isn't the perfect prospect to target but I mean he's pretty good and been mentioned in the media previously so I assume he would be in any deal with Boston.

Would just be an underwhelming offer for me. Defensive defenseman, 4th line center and another small winger. Meh.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
I doubt Columbus too. Miller is 29 years, UFA after the next season. Even if he will be resigned, value for him would be too big. Plus he wants 5-7 years contract, it's to 34-36 years.
I doubt LA too for the same reason

Reactions: VT

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
I think LA makes the most sense as they have loads of RHS D prospects and feel they can contend soon.
I don't however think they'll give up Clarke to get him.
Kings do not need 29-year-old player who wants long and expensive contract.
They will contend in 2 years maybe, not now.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Kings do not need 29-year-old player who wants long and expensive contract.

There is no good reason to trade for him.
Could have said that rather than list players that in all likelihood aren’t really pieces as valuable as Miller.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
core pieces coming back that addresses Vancouver's needs would be

LA - Mikey Anderson. ______then Fagemo, Clarke, ...Kirsanov interesting, not so sold on Turcotte anymore compared to what itll cost to acquire him.
Nashville - Jeannot, Fabbro
Colorado - Newhook, after heavy consultation with medical staff Byram.
Florida - Weegar? Lundell ...one can dream
Columbus - Peeke, Sillinger, Marchenko is interesting
Columbus would never trade Sillinger and probably Marchenko too. Especially for 29 years player. Jarmo isn't a drug addict. And at all, Sillinger is untouchable.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Vancouver isn't getting what they think he's worth due to being a rental when teams didn't when he wasn't one
Considering Lundqvist, 2022 1st and Chytil didnt move the needle enough to move him this year. I would assume the return is going to be a but bigger then what you are thinking

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So Carlo, Lysell, Frederic for Miller+? Not terrible depending on what the + is. But I would imagine they'll be looking for an offer that includes either a more dynamic defenseman or a young center instead of a winger in Lysell.

Yeah I’m not sure if Lysell makes sense for either side. Lorhei doesn’t make sense for Vancouver either, I don’t think. I would assume they would prefer Beecher over Frederic. But Carlo + Beecher + something… I don’t know what the something is the Bruins can do unless they can move DeBrusk for a 1st to dangle.

Considering Lundqvist, 2022 1st and Chytil didnt move the needle enough to move him this year. I would assume the return is going to be a but bigger then what you are thinking

It didn’t move the needle because they were close to the playoffs and they knew they could get offers of that quality over the summer, I would wager. Doesn’t mean a winning offer would be more than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad