Friedman: Miller extension unlikely with Canucks, timeline doesnt fit, and trade offers are going to be too good to pass up

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not sure how many teams could afford his new contract cap hit and even fewer teams could also afford the asking piece via trade. Jets could afford his new cap hit, assuming that Mark was traded, plus maybe Dillon........but Jets can't afford the largely futures based ask as a return on him. Can't see the Jets being interested in him due to the ask as the return.

Reactions: voxel

Sebastien

May 1, 2022
I think Minny would be all over it if they are looking to compete for next year while having so much dead cap weight.

Getting point producing players with low AAV is probably at the top of their list.

They can even send Van back a cap dump if needed.
Minnesota has no bad cap. Guerin won't give up 1st round picks, or prospects for rentals, that has been made clear. There's a reason Guerin stopped showing interest. Canucks fans we get it, but certain teams like Minnesota isn't paying for rentals

Hockey Gamer

Mar 2, 2015
Just trade him to the Rangers for Schnieder, 2023 1st, Chytil and a 2nd and be done with it. Both teams want it done so why not
i'm not sure who on the Rangers' side would want this. The time for that trade was this past deadline. Rangers set their offer, then when Vancouver opted to hold onto him, they went after more cost appropriate pieces. It becomes even less likely for the Rangers do this trade with those particular pieces now because Schneider and Chytil are both becoming roster players. Teams that historically splurge for an expiring veteran, end up trading assets/futures. They rarely deal a player off of their roster, let alone two. Those two players are now young staples to the team that they want to compete with. This trade makes very little sense now. I also see that you added the cost for Miller up to four pieces, instead of the original three pieces, yet Miller has less of a playoff run on his contract. This is pure wishful thinking on the Canucks fan, but please keep fantasizing.

Reactions: common12

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
i'm not sure who on the Rangers' side would want this. The time for that trade was this past deadline. Rangers set their offer, then when Vancouver opted to hold onto him, they went after more cost appropriate pieces. It becomes even less likely for the Rangers do this trade with those particular pieces now because Schneider and Chytil are both becoming roster players. Teams that historically splurge for an expiring veteran, end up trading assets/futures. They rarely deal a player off of their roster, let alone two. Those two players are now young staples to the team that they want to compete with. This trade makes very little sense now. I also see that you added the cost for Miller up to four pieces, instead of the original three pieces, yet Miller has less of a playoff run on his contract. This is pure wishful thinking on the Canucks fan, but please keep fantasizing.
It just makes sense, Im just a neutral fan commentating on an appropriate trade

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Bruins desperatly need that guy they have Debrusk and Carlo to start discussions

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Nothing against Nylander, but Vancouvers least needs is winger.

They have Pettersson playing wing at times, Boeser, Garland, Podkolzin, Hoglander. Pearson is still servicable as well..

Nylander is also only under contract for 2 more year and could walk just as when Van is wanting to compete.

Miller is the biggest trade chip in 20 years for the franchise, i doubt they use it on a winger like Nylander.

If id guess, they are targeting young top prospects on ELC or cost controlled or high end young Dmen.

Thats a meh offer especially considering those 1sts arent even top 16 and likely low end 1st rounders.

I think that offer gets beaten easily, especially with Miller at 50%.

Maybe it's an even bigger deal where it's something like

Miller+ Garland

for Nylander+ another player

Maybe Vancouver Swaps 2 wingers for 1 winger in Nylander and another player

I'm not going to suggest who that other player is because I don't know what Vancouver needs.

But I do know that at last years deadline, before Garland's summer trade to Vancouver Dubas had conversations with Arizona about Garland.

maybe he tries to land both Miller and Garland

who knows all I know for sure is I expect changes because Dubas has 1 year remaining on his deal and Matthews can sign an extension in a year.

this is a BIG summer for the franchise

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
It would be cool to send Miller to a contender and potentially pick him back up at a discount later in his career on a retained deal. I feel like if Miller is traded, we still haven't seen the end of him in Vancouver.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Really sad to be losing this player but with the completely barren prospect pool, this is a move that needs to be made for the good of the future. The Canucks don't have the luxury (nor the space) to keep him around.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Can't say I blame them. It's a huge gamble to sign him to a big contract let alone trade large assets for him. Which Miller are you getting? Career high of 58 points between NYR and Tampa. Then went PPG(72 in 69) in his first year with Vancouver, was outscored by Boeser last year and only had 46 in 53 and was a superstar this year. Not sure I want to drop so many assets and risk a 9+ AAV on such a gamble.

Definitely a monster piece as a rental though.
The gamble part is really overstated here. I don't think at this point his career high with NYR and Tampa really has any relevance as he's clearly a better player now and is playing a bigger role.
This past year may very well have been a career year but worst case you are probably getting a point per game player for at least the next few years and a guy who is capable of driving his own line.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker

Miller+ Garland

I'm not going to suggest who that other player is because I don't know what Vancouver needs.

But I do know that at last years deadline, before Garland's summer trade to Vancouver Dubas had conversations with Arizona about Garland.

who knows all I know for sure is I expect changes because Dubas has 1 year remaining on his deal and Matthews can sign an extension in a year.

The Canucks need defense and a play driving 3C. Swapping two top 6 forwards (one with 100 point capability and top end FO ability) for a ppg guy who's 3 years younger and the same age respectively (and only proven to be able to put up PPG) doesn't make much sense.

That 'other player' would have to be a pretty good defenseman for me to consider that kind of trade.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
LA makes the most sense
Logistically, I agree. Every team below Vancouver will likely be in the same situation the Canucks are where Miller just does not make sense.

For Vegas and most of the playoff teams, Miller is either unaffordable or likely just a rental due to cap and roster situations.

LA is one of the very few teams that could re-sign him and make it work. Question is, should they?

If you think Miller puts you over the top and you can beat Colorado in the west in the next 2-3 years, then maybe Blake makes the move. If he feels Colorado will still likely be too strong to compete with, then I think patience and staying the course would be wise.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Miller+ Garland

I'd be hard-pressed to do Garland+ for Nylander. He offers put team none of what we want or need, is more expensive and is only 3 years younger then Miller, and the same age as Garland, and both bring more to our team than Nylander.

Toronto doesn't have the assets we want, plain and simple.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd be hard-pressed to do Garland+ for Nylander. He offers put team none of what we want or need, is more expensive and is only 3 years younger then Miller, and the same age as Garland, and both bring more to our team than Nylander.

maybe they don't have the assets YOU want but you aren't running the team

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Exactly. Vancouver’s D is a mess. If the team is trading Miller it’s for a youngish D with upside as the center piece. Nylander is a fine player but not what Vancouver needs.

Reactions: Cogburn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad