Friedman: Miller extension unlikely with Canucks, timeline doesnt fit, and trade offers are going to be too good to pass up

Bondra slapshot

Jul 21, 2009
A lot of teams can have interest in a lot of players. Whether their interest is great enough to make them commit to a price that acquires said player is a completely different discussion. Interest is always cost relative at the end of day. Do the Devils have interest in Miller? Umm sure I guess, why not.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
for a very long time it was reported by insiders, that the earth is flat and the existence of the solar system was denied.

you can believe whatever you want, if it makes you happy.

What are you talking about?

Just because people wrongly believed the Earth was flat two thousand years ago has nothing to do with multiple credible NHL insiders saying that the Devils have been interested in multiple Vancouver forwards.

But you can believe whatever you want, if it makes you happy.

Reactions: Cogburn

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
What are you talking about?

Just because people wrongly believed the Earth was flat two thousand years ago has nothing to do with multiple credible NHL insiders saying that the Devils have been interested in multiple Vancouver forwards.

But you can believe whatever you want, if it makes you happy.
look up galileo galilei

may the devils are even interested in dickinson. might be a smart move to trade 2 oa for him. :huh:

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
look up galileo galilei

may the devils are even interested in dickinson. might be a smart move to trade 2 oa for him. :huh:

Yes, I know who Galileo is, I'm just confused at what that has to do with the Devils being interested in multiple Vancouver forwards.

Nobody offered Dickinson for 2OA? First you were appealing to extremes and now you're doing strawman arguments, you're just full of logical fallacies.

Dudekun

Apr 28, 2019
Still think Miller ends up on Columbus. They have tons of picks, prospects, and young players to get a deal done.

Miller is also from Ohio and fills a need on the Blue Jackets.
How about something like:

CBJ receives:
JT Miller (extended)

VAN receives:
Kirill Marchenko
rights to RFA Adam Boqvist
2023 1st round pick

From CBJ's perspective, they can leverage their surplus of good prospects, and acquire that elusive 1C without giving up their best young assets (Johnson, Sillinger, and their two 1st round picks this year). The injection of guys like Miller and Johnson into their line up may mean the 2023 first ends up being in the latter half of the round.

From VAN's perspective, this fits the player/prospect/pick mold that they are rumored to be looking for. It also addresses some organizational needs by netting them a young RD and a potential top six prospect. Columbus is in the deepest division in hockey, so the chances of the 2023 pick being a premium one are also decent.

JT may agree to the extension as he is coming off what is likely a career year, and cashing in now seems like a better bet than risking injury or a down year. Columbus has the cap space to sign Miller, and he is from Ohio as you mentioned. Unlike other teams rumored to be interested in Miller, CBJ can also give Miller the opportunity to be a bonafide 1C while playing with great wingers.

Last edited:

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
How about something like:

CBJ receives:
JT Miller (extended)

VAN receives:
Kirill Marchenko
rights to RFA Adam Boqvist
2023 1st round pick

From CBJ's perspective, they can leverage their surplus of good prospects, and acquire that elusive 1C without giving up their best young assets (Johnson, Sillinger, and their two 1st round picks this year). The injection of guys like Miller and Johnson into their line up may mean the 2023 first ends up being in the latter half of the round.

From VAN's perspective, this fits the player/prospect/pick mold that they are rumored to be looking for. It also addresses some organizational needs by netting them a young RD and a potential top six prospect. Columbus is in the deepest division in hockey, so the chances of the 2023 pick being a premium one are also decent.

JT may agree to the extension as he is coming off what is likely a career year, and cashing in now seems like a better bet than risking injury or a down year. Columbus has the cap space to sign Miller, and he is from Ohio as you mentioned. Unlike other teams rumored to be interested in Miller, CBJ can also give Miller the opportunity to be a bonafide 1C while playing with great wingers.
Holy man. We all love Miller but that's just a huge package for a 30 year old guy, even as good as he is. I just think we need to chill and sit back and see what comes, these offers are getting out of hand.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Yes, I know who Galileo is, I'm just confused at what that has to do with the Devils being interested in multiple Vancouver forwards.

Nobody offered Dickinson for 2OA? First you were appealing to extremes and now you're doing strawman arguments, you're just full of logical fallacies.

I've always thought the 1965 expulsion of Singapore from Malaysia (both the events leading up to and after the initial merger) is a much better analogy to their current Miller situation as reported as by NHL reporters - but to each their own 🤷‍♂️

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He said under the condition Ottawa and Miller could work out a contract beforehand.
Why would Miller agree to a handshake deal beforehand? He can’t sign until July 13th and the draft is on July 7th.

He can say he’s open to signing an extension with that team but he doesn’t benefit in any way to say more. Handshake deals don’t mean anything.

Teams weren’t negotiating with Seth Jones’ agent while Columbus was taking offers. Chicago could simply be confidant that 8 years/9.5m was going to get the deal done.

These asks from Vancouver fans are unreal. There's many reasons a trading partner wouldn't give you what your asking for Miller. Its only for 1 year for starters, and the odds are whichever team he goes to will be a playoff contender they don't want to risk losing a prospect they've developed for 3 years and is cost controlled at the expense of 1 season of MIller and they also don't( if there a capped playoff team) plan on paying him 8.5 x 5 at 30 years old once the season is over . The Rangers aint giving you Schneider a player that stepped right into the Rangers blueline once his junior career was over. As a Leafs fan i would shiver at giving up Liljegren after spending 3 years developing him to be a 4,5 right handed d man for a player we cant resign. Maybe Boston would to replace Bergeron or Kreci if he agrees to an extension before hand.

Again, 5 years/8.5m is a nice idea, considering his age, but he can sign an 8 year deal this summer.

A team like Boston might be confident enough that they can get a more team friendly deal like that done and trade for him before the draft. They aren’t getting it done before that though.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Possibly. I didn’t include them without knowing if Bergeron is coming back. If Big Berg comes back, I could see them in the mix too. If he doesn’t, Boston probably wouldn’t want to give up a ton of future for Miller not knowing how their season will go.
For a split second I thought you said Bill Berg was coming back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad