Mikko Rantanen Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I wonder how MacK would feel if Rantanen actually outscores him at the end of the season. They way things are going right now, I'd say that's possible

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
The topic of Laine vs Rants is an interesting one. Watching the playoffs last year I was surprised at how one dimensional Laine was. If he wasn't scoring goals he wasn't having a lot of effect on the game. Given his size and perceived skills I was surprised. It seemed to me he could be a 180 lb sniper for all that he uses his size. There is no question that scoring goals is a primo skill to possess but talk on the Wpg board seems to agree with my observation that his overall game is lacking or at least has stalled improvement-wise. Rants seems to be adding more arrows to his skill quiver each year to the point where he is at least as valuable on the ice as Laine IMO.

Reactions: New Scotlander

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
I still to this day cannot believe the Sharks took Timo Meier.

Conversely, Bawston fans can’t believe we took Jost over McAvoy, plus the Caknuckleheads potential disbelief that we took Dude Where’s Makar over Pettersen. While the current scouting staff has been a breath of fresh air from Pracey drafting isn’t an exact science.

Not to say Makar over Pettersen was the wrong move, but had the Avs gone McAvoy, Pettersen this would be a SC dark horse team now.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Thought about this too. Imagine if they race each other for Art Ross? In the end McDavid will win it anyway
Yeah, the only way anyone can actually outscore McDavid for the Art Ross is if they stay hot pretty much the entire season, because if they go cold for some games anytime during the season, McDavid Is gonna catch up and get ahead

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Conversely, Bawston fans can’t believe we took Jost over McAvoy, plus the Caknuckleheads potential disbelief that we took Dude Where’s Makar over Pettersen. While the current scouting staff has been a breath of fresh air from Pracey drafting isn’t an exact science.

Not to say Makar over Pettersen was the wrong move, but had the Avs gone McAvoy, Pettersen this would be a SC dark horse team now.

dark horse dynasty

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Just something somewhat interesting I came across: something called the Finnish NHL Alumni, a union of sorts, was recently established, and Mikko Rantanen is part of the board together with Leo Komarov, Teppo Numminen, Esa Tikkanen, Sean Bergenheim, Tony Salmelainen (representing failed NHLers, I assume :sarcasm:) and Lauri Korpikoski.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Hot takes from SJ forums, from a rather passionate Timo Meier-fan it seems:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-19-roster-discussion-part-i.2546747/page-17

Timo is better than them (Rantanen & Barzal). They're not even close from him physically or defensively. If you look at scoring only Timo may never equal their totals but if you look at overall performance I'd take Timo over them every day of the year. Especially if you're as focused on possession as the Sharks are. Try find a player stronger on the puck than Meier. There probably isn't a single one.

Barzal is pretty bad defensively and Trotz discovered his issues pretty quickly. Rantanen has MacKinnon to play with. They both can't protect the puck like Meier does. You shouldn't overvalue points.

Rantanen sucks ass and whoever claims he's even close from MacKinnon doesn't have a clue. Play Meier with MacKinnon and he's gonna outscore Rantanen with ease. MacKinnon in my view currently the best Centerman in the NHL especially in terms of possession.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
I love the 2015 draft class, one of the best in recent memory. I count my lucky stars we were able to get Rantanen and did not take Crouse. If I'm not mistaken, Pracey was out by then? I'm sure he would've taken the NA guy. I also remember the board was pretty 50/50 on Crouse, would be funny to look back at that thread.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I love the 2015 draft class, one of the best in recent memory. I count my lucky stars we were able to get Rantanen and did not take Crouse. If I'm not mistaken, Pracey was out by then? I'm sure he would've taken the NA guy. I also remember the board was pretty 50/50 on Crouse, would be funny to look back at that thread.

Yes, he got fired not long after that disastrous 2014 draft. And yeah, I think he would've opted for Crouse as well.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHBREWER
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad