Mikko Rantanen Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Mi-kko Rantanen, isaida Mikko Rantanen, Mi-kko Rantanen isaida Mikko Rantanen

How can a song be so cringey yet catchy at the same time!?
Because the tune is ubiquitous to pretty much every European sports fan due to its presence at football matches - go on youtube and search for "we are staying up" and you'll find millions of examples. The problem with this one is that rather than a tens of thousands strong crowd chanting at the top of their voice in a shared emotional outburst it sounds like what I gather it is, that being one guy with a low quality microphone having to record while hoping he doesn't wake anyone up, adding a background of tinny electronic sound effects last seen on a Commodore 64.

What we need is a standing section at Pepsi Centre, then we can get stuff like this:

Reactions: RareDangles

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I do find it hilarious sometimes when Nate clearly thinks he's getting the puck and Mikko's all like "Naw bruh I'm taking it in." It's been an adjustment period but Nate appears to know a little better now when Mikko is and isn't going to keep it. Last season he dished it to 29 as soon as he could, not so much anymore.
This is the attitude he needs to have for us and that line to be successful plus its way harder to defend.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Taking this from the Media thread.

Also, more from the Boulding/JJ Jerez podcast, Boulding says he's heard people saying how Mikko is going to take a bridge deal, and wonders what it is they're smoking because there's no way him and his camp are pushing for that.

The only reason for his camp to push for a bridge deal is if they're trying to pull a Newport and change precendance for how much you get on bridge deals. Like $7-8M x 2 or something. Then go after $10-11M long term the next time.

There's no incentive for a team to make this kind of deal though. They're just setting themselves up to pay way more the next time. If they're forking over that much money they want to lock in the price long term so they can plan accordingly, and buy up UFA's years.

Trying to go to war like that just leads to stalemates like ROR or Barrie when Newport almost held out after his ELC.

Hopefully Mikko's reps realize they can get a huge long term deal on his second NHL contract, and only give up one or two UFA years, before signing another massive deal. This is something that even Newport didn't have on the table for ROR and Barrie.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Rantanen's agent is Mike Liut, who also represents Draisaitl, Tarasenko, and Scheifele. All three of them recently signed 8-year deals out of their ELC. He likes to wait for the contract to expire before negotiating but it'd be surprising to see him look for a bridge contract based on recent history.

BTW, he was a guest on the most recent 31 Thoughts podcast and towards the end he talks about being an agent.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Bednar said in the postgame that the key to him playing at a high level is when he's moving his feet. Overall he's looking a lot more agile than he's been in the past. He's not just powering through guys, he's making them miss as well.
It was the first off season that Rantanen and his trainer had focused his training much more into getting more explosiveness to his leg muscles. Before that his summer training has been much more about general strength and stamina training. They have had a multi-year plan just like for Ristolainen and Laine, whom train with the same trainer (Hannu Rautala). Ristolainen is an absolute physical and conditioning beast also, but Laine is still quite much behind those two. He is also three years behind Rantanen in training with Rautala and two years younger than Rantanen.

I think what Rautala is doing with the training for these guys is absolutely great. Takes several years to get the really great results, but now we are seeing with Rantanen what it can lead into. He is an absolute physical beast nowadays.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
They might have focused more on Mikko's explosiveness last summer, but he was doing a lot of those same track workouts a couple years ago too. They focused on it a fair bit in a video back then with him and Laine.

Pretty sure he threw up during a stair or hill climb workout too. Kid definitely pushes himself to the max to get better every year. That probably has as much to do with his improvements as anything else.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
They might have focused more on Mikko's explosiveness last summer, but he was doing a lot of those same track workouts a couple years ago too. They focused on it a fair bit in a video back then with him and Laine.

Pretty sure he threw up during a stair or hill climb workout too. Kid definitely pushes himself to the max to get better every year. That probably has as much to do with his improvements as anything else.
True what you mentioned, but still Rantanen and Rautala both said clearly in interviews that this was still the first off season where the main focus with the training was in gaining clearly better explosiveness. It doesn’t of course mean that he hasn’t already done those type of exercises even in his previous off-seasons. But now they have had just clearly more of focus in that kind of training than before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waingro

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Taking this from the Media thread.

The only reason for his camp to push for a bridge deal is if they're trying to pull a Newport and change precendance for how much you get on bridge deals. Like $7-8M x 2 or something. Then go after $10-11M long term the next time.

There's no incentive for a team to make this kind of deal though. They're just setting themselves up to pay way more the next time. If they're forking over that much money they want to lock in the price long term so they can plan accordingly, and buy up UFA's years.

Trying to go to war like that just leads to stalemates like ROR or Barrie when Newport almost held out after his ELC.

Hopefully Mikko's reps realize they can get a huge long term deal on his second NHL contract, and only give up one or two UFA years, before signing another massive deal. This is something that even Newport didn't have on the table for ROR and Barrie.

You pay more but you get the player for 10 years rather than 8.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
Finns are good at hockey because they are taught proper raking techniques at a young age which translates well to hockey. They spend afternoons cleaning up leaves in the woods. Not a lot of people know this but it's true.

We rake like a mad man. My father is always raking when i go to visit my parents at my childhood home. Raking is also used as a way of punishment. Me and some other guys didn't feel like going to gym in the morning on one of the last days of our mandatory military service so as punishment sergeant ordered us to rake pine cones in the pine forest.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That's why you're not leading the NHL in scoring rn.

True...very true.

But also, rakes are dangerous.
SourZanyElk-size_restricted.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad