Mikko Rantanen Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
So the Dater's tweet about "Mikko is gonna sign a short term deal" was Dater talking with Mikko's agent. They talk about that matter in their latest podcast.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
So the Dater's tweet about "Mikko is gonna sign a short term deal" was Dater talking with Mikko's agent. They talk about that matter in their latest podcast.
I still doubt it's reliability. If short term = 5-6 years vs 8, then sure. But there's no way he's going to sign a 2-3 year deal unless he hates Denver.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Writing a paper I have the full 2015 draft playing in the background, as you do. And when it came to the Mikko pick McGuire said "they'll be lucky to get 20 goals out of him, doesn't have much of a shot".

Funny to hear those things in hindsight, how wrong even the so called experts can be. Though it is much more of an art than a science.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Writing a paper I have the full 2015 draft playing in the background, as you do. And when it came to the Mikko pick McGuire said "they'll be lucky to get 20 goals out of him, doesn't have much of a shot".

Funny to hear those things in hindsight, how wrong even the so called experts can be. Though it is much more of an art than a science.
Just watched it on YouTube haha. Blonde girl interviewing Sakic-
"You just selected a big right Weiner..Winger there.."

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Was that Pierre or Button? I think Button said something like he has good hands but not finishing hands and if he gets 20 goals you'll be excited. Obviously that comment isn't holding up well given how good Mikko's shot is.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
The topic of Laine vs Rants is an interesting one. Watching the playoffs last year I was surprised at how one dimensional Laine was. If he wasn't scoring goals he wasn't having a lot of effect on the game. Given his size and perceived skills I was surprised. It seemed to me he could be a 180 lb sniper for all that he uses his size. There is no question that scoring goals is a primo skill to possess but talk on the Wpg board seems to agree with my observation that his overall game is lacking or at least has stalled improvement-wise. Rants seems to be adding more arrows to his skill quiver each year to the point where he is at least as valuable on the ice as Laine IMO.
Rantanen is the better all around player . Laine can snipe but doesn't do the things Rants does .

Reactions: Tommy G

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Button just isn’t a big fan of Mikko. He had Mikko barely in the top 10 when he was ripping up the AHL while Nylander was number 1 iirc

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Button just isn’t a big fan of Mikko. He had Mikko barely in the top 10 when he was ripping up the AHL while Nylander was number 1 iirc

I'm getting the sense over the years that Button is TSN's Pronman. Maybe not quite that level, but he loves players he can hype.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I love the 2015 draft class, one of the best in recent memory. I count my lucky stars we were able to get Rantanen and did not take Crouse. If I'm not mistaken, Pracey was out by then? I'm sure he would've taken the NA guy. I also remember the board was pretty 50/50 on Crouse, would be funny to look back at that thread.

Recent memory? It's one of the best of all time.

Wasn't it the 2014-15 season when we were talking about certain games that the ref gifted us or whatnot and if we tanked the final few games, we could've drafted 7th-8th instead of 10th? I honestly don't think we would've taken Rants over Provorov or Werenski. As good as those two are, sometimes things are just meant to be.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
What I'm excited about is that he's still a couple of years away from his peak years, too. He's still getting stronger on his skates and learning what works and what doesn't in the league. Love the dude.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I do find it hilarious sometimes when Nate clearly thinks he's getting the puck and Mikko's all like "Naw bruh I'm taking it in." It's been an adjustment period but Nate appears to know a little better now when Mikko is and isn't going to keep it. Last season he dished it to 29 as soon as he could, not so much anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad