Speculation: Mikko Rantanen Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
Not from.Sakic he won't, Avs won't overpay, If he wants to sit and play in the KHL then so be it . He can always be traded

Basicly my point. Trade him if you cannot afford him. I would think there is more than few takers. Maybe you can get 2mediocre players and a pick instead of one star player.

Reactions: cgf

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Basicly my point. Trade him if you cannot afford him. I would think there is more than few takers. Maybe you can get 2mediocre players and a pick instead of one star player.
It's not about affording him it's about keeping the team cap structure in line.
The Avs are trying to grow a young team into a winning team together. He either buys into that as Mack , Landy , and Girard already have or he'll be gone and they'll reap the rewards from a trade. The Avs have the cap space but won't go against their philosophy ala Dubas and others. He'll get a fair offer they won't let what the Leafs are doing dictate their salaries.

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
It's not about affording him it's about keeping the team cap structure in line.

So it is about affording him then :) Look, i understand that vision perfectly. Times have changed and kids get paid more since Matthews. If he does not fit in your vision, then it is good idea to trade him. Keller signing his contract,i cant see him going under 9,5/10M AVV. I guess he wants 5 years, otherwise Sakic would have signed him if it was ten and eight?

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
So that your stars can walk away from the team in 5 years... wouldnt it be better to offer a low term deal say 2 years, the pay them huge for 8 years so they stay on your team for 10 years instead of 5

You're missing the point, though. I actually want players to move teams more often.

Jeff Whelbourn

Jun 2, 2018
Why? I like cheering for Joe sakic every year because he was my favorite player on my favorite team, I'm sure he preferred playing in Colorado his whole career so he could have a stable family life

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
Not only did Dubas screw it up for everyone, now RFAs will have no problem missing half the season, and they’ll expect to be still paid for the full season.

Reactions: Jeff Whelbourn

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Sure, make him sit then. He will make that money in KHL. He can always come back as FA in some point. RFA game has changed, kids get paid these days so it is utterly ignorant to use Crosby as an example. See Keller deal, 47 points got 7.15x8. What do you think Rantanen will get with 87 points in 74 games? 10x5 sounds about right.

Edit. based on Capfriendly's income tax calculator, Keller’s AAV would be ~ $8.5M if he were to play in Toronto/Montreal.

You use a calculator to project what a players salary would be elsewhere? Lol... Keller got 65 as a rookie and then had a slight slump and who knows what his third year will look like (contract kicks in next year) It's also a 8 year deal and with cap rising the potential of him being a 70+ point player is real, making that contract a bargain and a half. I think rantanen should get 9 if it's a 5 year and 10.5 if it's a 7-8 year. And Crosby said himself "it's only worth taking less if everyone else takes less" it's a philosophy that works, look at Tampa. Just cause the demand is to be paid a stupid contract like dubas gave Matthews, it doesn't mean teams have to give in. And no, rantanen would make nowhere close to what he would in the NHL if he went to the KHL. Don't be ridiculous

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
You use a calculator to project what a players salary would be elsewhere? Lol... Keller got 65 as a rookie and then had a slight slump and who knows what his third year will look like (contract kicks in next year) It's also a 8 year deal and with cap rising the potential of him being a 70+ point player is real, making that contract a bargain and a half. I think rantanen should get 9 if it's a 5 year and 10.5 if it's a 7-8 year. And Crosby said himself "it's only worth taking less if everyone else takes less" it's a philosophy that works, look at Tampa. Just cause the demand is to be paid a stupid contract like dubas gave Matthews, it doesn't mean teams have to give in. And no, rantanen would make nowhere close to what he would in the NHL if he went to the KHL. Don't be ridiculous

Ofc i use calculator. You should too and maybe you would realize why Tampa players take less money.

Previous post i said 10x5 and now you are ready to give him 9.5x5 :D i guess we are not so far apart after all. Witch kinda makes you equally ”stupid” and ”ignorant” as you have claimed me to be in your posts? i dont think Rantanen is asking for Matthews money per se, but Matthews contract did set standard higher league wide.

On Keller, they a betting on potential. You cannot say you dont know what you have with Rants. Sure we can use their second seasons and compare those, Rants with 84 in 81 and Keller 47. First season Keller was better pointwise but Rants is the one making progress so far. Keller might take a step with Kessel but who knows? Rants already took that step.

Kovalchuk made 7M few years ago, Rants would get 9 easypeasy in KHL. Clearly you need to educate yourself on this matter.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Ofc i use calculator. You should too and maybe you would realize why Tampa players take less money.

Previous post i said 10x5 and now you are ready to give him 9.5x5 :D i guess we are not so far apart after all. Witch kinda makes you equally ”stupid” and ”ignorant” as you have claimed me to be in your posts? i dont think Rantanen is asking for Matthews money per se, but Matthews contract did set standard higher league wide.

On Keller, they a betting on potential. You cannot say you dont know what you have with Rants. Sure we can use their second seasons and compare those, Rants with 84 in 81 and Keller 47. First season Keller was better pointwise but Rants is the one making progress so far. Keller might take a step with Kessel but who knows? Rants already took that step.

Kovalchuk made 7M few years ago, Rants would get 9 easypeasy in KHL. Clearly you need to educate yourself on this matter.

I know Tampa has no state tax etc etc. But besides that my point stands, players have taken a mill or two less that they could easily play hard to get and receive the extra pay. As for rantanen easily making 9 mil in the khl that's really not the case lol. It'd be a record breaking KHL salary by quite a margin.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
So it is about affording him then :) Look, i understand that vision perfectly. Times have changed and kids get paid more since Matthews. If he does not fit in your vision, then it is good idea to trade him. Keller signing his contract,i cant see him going under 9,5/10M AVV. I guess he wants 5 years, otherwise Sakic would have signed him if it was ten and eight?
Both are said to want long term , however many years that means to each. 8 × 10 should do it but Im not sure Rantanen would want to go that long. That would take him to 30 years old

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
I watch that too, thanks

They bounce around like crazy!! I don't want any of that craziness in the nhl lol. I like that franchise players stay with one team their whole career or atleast a good majority of it.

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
As for rantanen easily making 9 mil in the khl that's really not the case lol. It'd be a record breaking KHL salary by quite a margin.

Actually just by 2M and that contract was signed few years ago if my memory serves me right. Rants would be superstar nr.1 there. I think SKA’s oligarks would mke it happen. But that is just speculation.

Reactions: Avaholic29

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia

Teams have a choice they don't have to go by Toronto's Cap structure, they can do what they want and pay whatever they feel is worth it.

If the GM'S weren't so scared of losing their jobs and showed collusion and had the stones they could let them all sit and nip this in the bud. Thankfully the Avs don't have that problem .

Joe is a straight up fair guy , you'll get your offer give or take a little and sign or sit.

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
Both are said to want long term , however many years that means to each. 8 × 10 should do it but Im not sure Rantanen would want to go that long. That would take him to 30 years old

I guess Rants wants 5 or 6 and Sakic 8 then. Really cant blame the guy, ofc he wants to have second cash in in his career. At 27 i’d imagine you get paid better long term than age 30?

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I guess Rants wants 5 or 6 and Sakic 8 then. Really cant blame the guy, ofc he wants to have second cash in in his career. At 27 i’d imagine you get paid better long term than age 30?
Yeah well Mack , Landy and Girard all signed for 7 so that's probably what joe is thinking . I'd say it ends up 6 perhaps 5 as Rantanen was 2 years older than Mack and 1 year older than Landy and Girard coming out off their ELC's

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
Teams have a choice they don't have to go by Toronto's Cap structure, they can do what they want and pay whatever they feel is worth it.

If the GM'S weren't so scared of losing their jobs and showed collusion and had the stones they could let them all sit and nip this in the bud. Thankfully the Avs don't have that problem .

Joe is a straight up fair guy , you'll get your offer give or take a little and sign or sit.

Then again, i think players should get paid to what they are worth. Joe himself signed OS at one time to pressure his team and now hes a stand up guy towards players as GM? Sounds more like a hypocrite to be honest :)

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
Yeah well Mack , Landy and Girard all signed for 7 so that's probably what joe is thinking . I'd say it ends up 6 perhaps 5 as Rantanen was 2 years older than Mack and 1 year older than Landy and Girard coming out off their ELC's

6x9,5-10M should be fair to player and to the avs imo :)

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
6x9,5-10M should be fair to player and to the avs imo :)
Hopefully haha and yes the salaries are climbing and have to be taken into consideration or contract negotiations would be a headache for everyone every year . Perhaps Keller got the ball.rolling

Last edited:

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Does the crazy Keller deal change the landscape for Rantanen and other RFAs?

Keller is coming off 65 and 47 point seasons and got 8 years @ 7.15M. I would have to assume that Rantanen is now looking north of 11 if that is the comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad