Speculation: Mikko Rantanen Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Loyalty? Why? Becouse team drafted you in top 10? Or should team be thankful that they got to draft top10 player? If you want loyalty, get a dog.

Because it's a team sport genius. Wanting a ridiculously high AAV all the while asking for shorter term only hurts the team as a whole. Effects who can be brought in as depth etc. This is why a team like Tampa and their ability to lock their guys up to great contracts will keep them as one of the best for the foreseeable future.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
and it may also be that they don't want to end up like Scheiffle and MacKinnon and drastically outperform their contract 2 years into it and be locked in for another 5/6 years.

McKinnon should be entering his final RFA year and would be UFA in 2020, but he's signed for 3 UFA years. Scheiffle won't hit UFA until he's 31, the same summer as Aho/Mathews when those 2 are turning 27. Even Taylor Hall will be a UFA in 2020, and he'll be 28 turning 29 in the fall of 2020. So, whoever pays him is buying some declining years.

We are talking about Rantanen giving the Avs 8 years already on a 5 year extension plus his ELC, not to mention the 1 year in the A he played for the franchise.

Every UFA year is pricy. Jamie Benn was 28 when he started his 8 year deal. First 3 years of his deal pay him $13 million per until he turns 31. Rantanen will be 26 when he's a UFA. So, when you're trying to calculate the cost of his UFA years, it's going to cost $13 million or more for each of the maximum of 4 years until age 30, not the $9.5 million cap hit that Benn is on.

Have to pay for the prime years.
MacKinnon started just turning 18 though and the 7 years takes him through 27 , Rantanen was turning 20 so bit of a difference in age. A 5 year deal will take him through to 27.

There is 13 months difference in age but Mack played 3 years in the league before Rantanen . I guess what I'm saying is age and prime years count as well. Not just UFA years. MacKinnon wouldn't have signed for 7 years if he was Rantanen's age coming out if his ELC

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
So after the owners fought and made it seem like 5 year term was the max they wanted to give out in the last CBA negotiations, here they are fighting to sign these players for 8 years and acting like 5 years won't work. Make up your minds!

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Crosby said it best, "taking alittle less only works when everyone else takes alittle less".
If Mikko signs for more then say 10, i would say a couple guys in that room are alittle choked. happy for him but a little choked. Nate @ 6.3, Landy @ 5.7, EJ @ 6. Look at Boston, they got Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak locked down for like 21 mil & look where they ended up last season.
9.6 x 5 i could live with, anything higher then 9.6 better have 8 year term. 9 x 6 (three year modified NTC) is fair for both sides imo.
Agreed

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Because it's a team sport genius. Wanting a ridiculously high AAV all the while asking for shorter term only hurts the team as a whole. Effects who can be brought in as depth etc. This is why a team like Tampa and their ability to lock their guys up to great contracts will keep them as one of the best for the foreseeable future.
:thumbu: exactly, if individuals don't want to buy into that then they should be moved. I love Rants but if he doesn't buy into this then trade him and get players that will.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avaholic29

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Both Joe and Mikko are on the record that they want a long term deals.

While true, we only know that they don't want a bridge deal, we don't whether both sides agree that 4-5 years would qualify as long-term.
If he wants 5, it better be for Aho’s $8.5m AAV. I’d much rather have him for 8 at $10-11m AAV.

That would be nice...but realistically if we can sign him for 5 years and under 10M per, we'll be sitting pretty.
So after the owners fought and made it seem like 5 year term was the max they wanted to give out in the last CBA negotiations, here they are fighting to sign these players for 8 years and acting like 5 years won't work. Make up your minds!

What owner is fighting to give anyone 8 years? Sakic is our GM, not our owner.

Last edited:

Opado

Jan 27, 2013

Low AAV equals loyalty? Wanting longer term with that low AAV equals more loyalty? So i bet you are the guy who tells his boss, that you will gladly take paycut for the team AND you are willing to work for 3 years longer for that lower money? If your team cannot afford him, make a trade and spend that 10M AAV for some mediocre players instead.

Reactions: cgf and Dr Quincy

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
:thumbu: exactly, if individuals don't wany to buy into that then they should be moved. I love Rants but if he doesn't buy in to this then trade him and get players that will.
What if a player buys in but the GM decides it's better for himself to deal the player away? You can't ask me to buy in and then say that ultimately I'm completely expendable. GMs should act in their best interest. Players should act in their best interest. Problem solved.

Reactions: cgf

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Nylander started a new trend im afraid of

Other RFA's in the past signed for less term. Shorter term 5 year deals have happened before. The difference this year is that there's just so many high profile RFA's who are impact players.

You get the impression this year that they're all waiting on Marner because they didn't like the Aho or Girard signings. Combine that with this perceived new rich TV deal in a couple of years and greed has taken over.

I'm not convinced Dubas will cave on Marner. I thought the Matthews contract was player friendly but they don't even have the cap space to pay Marner what he wants.

It's probably $10M x 8, $9M x 6 or $8M x 3. The Marner camp asking for Matthews $ is ridiculous. He's not an elite C or goal scorer and even their PP became predictable and underwhelmed.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Other RFA's in the past signed for less term. Shorter term 5 year deals have happened before. The difference this year is that there's just so many high profile RFA's who are impact players.

You get the impression this year that they're all waiting on Marner because they didn't like the Aho or Girard signings. Combine that with this perceived new rich TV deal in a couple of years and greed has taken over.

I'm not convinced Dubas will cave on Marner. I thought the Matthews contract was player friendly but they don't even have the cap space to pay Marner what he wants.

It's probably $10M x 8, $9M x 6 or $8M x 3. The Marner camp asking for Matthews $ is ridiculous. He's not an elite C or goal scorer and even their PP became predictable and underwhelmed.

Marner > Matthews

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
8 year contracts are pretty crazy. Idk why GMs think that is reasonable. Entry contract plus 8 year deal is basically your entire career.

Agreed, I hate em. I would move to a short RFA period and a 5 year limit.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
We're less than a month away from the season starting and still a lot of good players left not signed as RFA's. Def a situation that needs to be cleared up in the next CBA.

Jeff Whelbourn

Jun 2, 2018
Agreed, I hate em. I would move to a short RFA period and a 5 year limit.

So that your stars can walk away from the team in 5 years... wouldnt it be better to offer a low term deal say 2 years, the pay them huge for 8 years so they stay on your team for 10 years instead of 5

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Low AAV equals loyalty? Wanting longer term with that low AAV equals more loyalty? So i bet you are the guy who tells his boss, that you will gladly take paycut for the team AND you are willing to work for 3 years longer for that lower money? If your team cannot afford him, make a trade and spend that 10M AAV for some mediocre players instead.

You know what I'm talking about. Keep being ignorant though. Crosby did it, kucherov did it, there is plenty of examples. The point is, the money usually decreases when the term is less. 10m should only be the number if it's 7-8 years. I'd gladly Let him sit out before giving him some dumb contract like dubas is rumored to do with marner and 9.5 for 3 years.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
I cant imagine if I was an agent telling my player that signing for 8 years is a good idea when the league is negotiating a TV deal in the range of 3x the current deal

Reactions: cgf

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
You know what I'm talking about. Keep being ignorant though. Crosby did it, kucherov did it, there is plenty of examples. The point is, the money usually decreases when the term is less. 10m should only be the number if it's 7-8 years. I'd gladly Let him sit out before giving him some dumb contract like dubas is rumored to do with marner and 9.5 for 3 years.

Sure, make him sit then. He will make that money in KHL. He can always come back as FA in some point. RFA game has changed, kids get paid these days so it is utterly ignorant to use Crosby as an example. See Keller deal, 47 points got 7.15x8. What do you think Rantanen will get with 87 points in 74 games? 10x5 sounds about right.

Edit. based on Capfriendly's income tax calculator, Keller’s AAV would be ~ $8.5M if he were to play in Toronto/Montreal.

Last edited:

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Sure, make him sit then. He will make that money in KHL. He can always come back as FA in some point. RFA game has changed, kids get paid these days so it is utterly ignorant to use Crosby as an example. See Keller deal, 47 points got 7.15x8. What do you think Rantanen will get with 87 points in 74 games? 10x5 sounds about right.
Not from.Sakic he won't, Avs won't overpay, If he wants to sit and play in the KHL then so be it . He can always be traded

Reactions: Opado

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia

Edit. based on Capfriendly's income tax calculator, Keller’s AAV would be ~ $8.5M if he were to play in Toronto/Montreal.
Yikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad