Speculation: Mikko Rantanen Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Yeah but what players? I got used to seeing longer deals. Have top players really signed that many five year deals after the ELC or a bridge?

What's the 'new eight year cap', like a tier below, players going for max term? Is bad?
yeah it was I believe ekblad then a big rush of mcdavid drai and eichel all at the same time getting eight year deals in a cluster that made it seem like 8 might be the new standard over 5 year deals for star rfas .

Then matthews pretty much pushed it back to 5 .

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
yeah it was I believe ekblad then a big rush of mcdavid drai and eichel all at the same time getting eight year deals in a cluster that made it seem like 8 might be the new standard over 5 year deals for star rfas .

Larkin signed for 5 years before Matthews did.

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland
I don't like the long term deals at all. The market should be a lot more open. I'm rather disturbed by the fact that the GMs see it as their right to lock up the top players for the rest of their top-career years.

Reactions: Help

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I hate the fact these guys are pushing for 5 years. That said i'm warming up to it. Alot of players are starting to just fade in their early thirties after a decent first 7-9 years in the league.

But what's wrong with players who'll be 21-29 at the butt end of a 8-yr deal? That's not early thirties. (I don't believe prime has to be at exactly 26 and that's it. Some counter-examples are out there.)

Matthews could do it when Nylander wasn't the face of the franchise center and Leafs got lottery luck getting him. And then the Tavares acquisition might have prompted some more ado. Who understands the Leafs and what they do.

A fair point. The league as a whole has screwed young players.

Chickens just coming back to roost now.

How has the league screwed young players? We're talking young chaps earning millions. No problem with that, but hard to feel screwed.

I don't like the long term deals at all. The market should be a lot more open. I'm rather disturbed by the fact that the GMs see it as their right to lock up the top players for the rest of their top-career years.

Who says it's supposed to be a free moving market like some EU for instance. Everybody likes it when a player is loyal to a team, and can be. But this ties into how people perceive "teams" and that's a zoo.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Who says it's supposed to be a free moving market like some EU for instance. Everybody likes it when a player is loyal to a team, and can be. But this ties into how people perceive "teams" and that's a zoo.

Alex Kerfoot signed with COL as a free agent. After 2 years his contract was up and he was an RFA. Maybe he wanted to "be loyal to a team"....... but the team traded him anyway and almost 100% of Avs fans were happy about it. So you want players to be "loyal" and when they are RFAs you want them not to negotiate hard and just resign with the team, at a term and $ that is good for the team. Because you like loyalty. But OTOH if the team doesnt want the player, that's ok and they don't have to be loyal.

I'm like seriously confused at this.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Alex Kerfoot signed with COL as a free agent. After 2 years his contract was up and he was an RFA. Maybe he wanted to "be loyal to a team"....... but the team traded him anyway and almost 100% of Avs fans were happy about it. So you want players to be "loyal" and when they are RFAs you want them not to negotiate hard and just resign with the team, at a term and $ that is good for the team. Because you like loyalty. But OTOH if the team doesnt want the player, that's ok and they don't have to be loyal.

I'm like seriously confused at this.

What's not to understand? Loyalty only applies to other people's behavior towards me, not my behavior to others...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I hate the fact these guys are pushing for 5 years. That said i'm warming up to it. Alot of players are starting to just fade in their early thirties after a decent first 7-9 years in the league.

What's the problem with 5 years?

If 20-21 year old will take 5 now, they can make full 8-year deal at 25-26 year old. After that they are 33-34 year old and will start to regress, but could still have some years in them. Then they could make reasonable veteran contract.

This takes away all the craziness from old contract market. Like Parise and Suter, they are now 34-year old and in the midddle of their 13 year long deals. Already regressing and having horrible caphits longer the time goes.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Would be funny if Mtl gave the same offersheet that they did to Aho lol obvs Col would match but Rant would get his term. I dont think any big RFA wants to leave, they just want their 2nd big contact sooner.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
The salary cap doesn't increase fast enough for 5 year deals to pay off for everyone.
If everyone signs for 5 years we'll eventually have S tier free agents not getting as much as they think they're worth.
Besides, who the hell wouldn't sign for 8 years to ride shotgun with MacKinnon?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It’s insane to think how many key RFA’s are not signed.

Dubas bending over for Matthews is a huge issue: now they all want huge dollars and 5 year deals based on the fact that Dubas is a bad GM with too much money.

At least the Sens don't make life worse for everybody else :laugh: :cry:

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
The salary cap doesn't increase fast enough for 5 year deals to pay off for everyone.
If everyone signs for 5 years we'll eventually have S tier free agents not getting as much as they think they're worth.
Besides, who the hell wouldn't sign for 8 years to ride shotgun with MacKinnon?
Apparently Mikko Rantanen. :popcorn:

Reactions: Petrouth
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Wtf happened to wanting to represent the jersey you put on every night longterm. All these RFAs want 5 or less now with the same AAV as a long-term contract? Get bent.
I must be old because I remember when "long term" was anything over 3 years.

I see what is happening now as a balancing of the scales after things tipped really far in terms of contract length.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Maybe swapping RFA players looking for a contract long term will become a thing. If the player doesn't fill the need and the other team works out ala C for a Winger. Maybe they start to sell their rights. Not out of the realm of possibility if they can make the cap work.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Would be funny if Mtl gave the same offersheet that they did to Aho lol obvs Col would match but Rant would get his term. I dont think any big RFA wants to leave, they just want their 2nd big contact sooner.
An 8 year deal signed after a bridge expired that buys out a ton of UFA years is going to be very comparable to a UFA contract, and will come sooner. A 3-4 year bridge contract is a fair compromise for both sides.

Reactions: TheNewKid

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Larkin signed for 5 years before Matthews did.
and it may also be that they don't want to end up like Scheiffle and MacKinnon and drastically outperform their contract 2 years into it and be locked in for another 5/6 years.

McKinnon should be entering his final RFA year and would be UFA in 2020, but he's signed for 3 UFA years. Scheiffle won't hit UFA until he's 31, the same summer as Aho/Mathews when those 2 are turning 27. Even Taylor Hall will be a UFA in 2020, and he'll be 28 turning 29 in the fall of 2020. So, whoever pays him is buying some declining years.

We are talking about Rantanen giving the Avs 8 years already on a 5 year extension plus his ELC, not to mention the 1 year in the A he played for the franchise.

Every UFA year is pricy. Jamie Benn was 28 when he started his 8 year deal. First 3 years of his deal pay him $13 million per until he turns 31. Rantanen will be 26 when he's a UFA. So, when you're trying to calculate the cost of his UFA years, it's going to cost $13 million or more for each of the maximum of 4 years until age 30, not the $9.5 million cap hit that Benn is on.

Have to pay for the prime years.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Crosby said it best, "taking alittle less only works when everyone else takes alittle less".
If Mikko signs for more then say 10, i would say a couple guys in that room are alittle choked. happy for him but a little choked. Nate @ 6.3, Landy @ 5.7, EJ @ 6. Look at Boston, they got Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak locked down for like 21 mil & look where they ended up last season.
9.6 x 5 i could live with, anything higher then 9.6 better have 8 year term. 9 x 6 (three year modified NTC) is fair for both sides imo.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Crosby said it best, "taking alittle less only works when everyone else takes alittle less".
If Mikko signs for more then say 10, i would say a couple guys in that room are alittle choked. happy for him but a little choked. Nate @ 6.3, Landy @ 5.7, EJ @ 6. Look at Boston, they got Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak locked down for like 21 mil & look where they ended up last season.
9.6 x 5 i could live with, anything higher then 9.6 better have 8 year term. 9 x 6 (three year modified NTC) is fair for both sides imo.

Calgary would go Beast Mode if Tkachuk would take under 7.

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
Your right that's my bad
I was 8, and it was the last Jets game I saw in person before the Thrashers relocated. Sakic was on a whole other level compared to all other players. Avs won 5-2 Sakic was first star (Janney second star, Roy third). It is just one of those things that get burned into memory. I became a fan of the Avs ever since.

Reactions: arun
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad