Mikko Koskinen

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Boys, it’s preseason, you don’t want your goalie to peak too early. We are looking at at least 98 games that actually matter this season.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Well the good news is Koskinen is doing better this pre-season than last year. The bad news is it appears he has the same issues that he did last season.

He did however settle in early on in the season, so one can only hope he is playing with some rust. Gregor mentioned something that he worked out with Kobe Bryant's trainer this off-season. But I'm not really sure that was a good idea. Has Bryant's trainer worked with NHLers before, specifically goalies?

Either way if Koskinen can't get things figured out I see us running 3 goalies this year. If he's not good enough you healthy scratch the guy. You hope that unlike what we did with Lucic, that maybe after being scratched Koskinen thinks long and hard about whether he wants money or to play hockey.
Pretty sure he wants both. The question, is whether he is capable.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
As this is an article you need a subscription for, can you post what was said about Koskinen?

I know he got ranked dead last but Id also be interested in the comments. I cant imagine they would be positive in the least sense. Koskinen likely would be battling hard for even just a back up role on 7-12 teams

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I know he got ranked dead last but Id also be interested in the comments. I cant imagine they would be positive in the least sense. Koskinen likely would be battling hard for even just a back up role on 7-12 teams
Whoever allowed Chiarelli to make that extension should never work in hockey again.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
As this is an article you need a subscription for, can you post what was said about Koskinen?

Goalies were divided into 4 tiers.

Koskinen was ranked as the worst of the bottom tier of all 31 starting goalies of all 31 teams.

“Mikko Koskinen is not particularly young. He’s unproven. He’s posted a .904 save percentage in 59 career NHL games. Not surprising that he didn’t get a lot of support from the panel.
“Oof, don’t like him,” said a goalie coach.
“He did well in the KHL but every time I look in the KHL, almost every goalie has a .930 save percentage,” said another coach. “But with (Dave) Tippett’s system, he’s going to get more protection.”
“He had such a disappointing year. They played him so much down the stretch, I don’t think he can handle that at all,” said a GM. “It’ll be interesting to see if he’s used better this year.”
“What a signing,” said another executive. “I don’t know what that was.”

BTW I would highly recommend a subscription. It’s worth the tiny cost monthly. Some great stuff in there. Way better than Hockey News and what circulates on social media.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Koskinen was ranked as the worst of the bottom tier of all 31 starting goalies of all 31 teams.

“Mikko Koskinen is not particularly young. He’s unproven. He’s posted a .904 save percentage in 59 career NHL games. Not surprising that he didn’t get a lot of support from the panel.
“He did well in the KHL but every time I look in the KHL, almost every goalie has a .930 save percentage,” said another coach. “But with (Dave) Tippett’s system, he’s going to get more protection.”
“He had such a disappointing year. They played him so much down the stretch, I don’t think he can handle that at all,” said a GM. “It’ll be interesting to see if he’s used better this year.”

BTW I would highly recommend a subscription. It’s worth the tiny cost monthly. Some great stuff in there. Way better than Hockey News and what circulates on social media.

Thanks!

"What a signing," said another executive. “I don’t know what that was.” :biglaugh:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Well that’s reassuring.

4.5 mill backup incoming.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I see Koskinen as a higher buyout candidate after the season than James Neal. even if hes having a Ok season, you can get a OK goalie for 2,5m$. It is just adjustable if he has a 94,5% season. Then Im ok with it. Chiarelli know he had low capspace, even though he signed Koskinen to a horrendus contract. And he didnt had a press after the firing either. Maybe he was ashmed of himself? The only thing I could think of is he had a verbal agreement on Koskinen coming over from KHL, with a promise of a fat contract if he survives. Either way. It was reeeally stupid. My second guess is that he was just tired of the people in the organisation on Edmonton, and just wanted out. What dis-constructive way of doing it..

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Nobody will ever convince me that's Chiarelli's moves down the death spiral were anything other than deliberate sabotage.

I can't imagine this is true, but when you look his final moves, god It is possible. Manning and Koski, I mean what could signal your just trying to ruin a team. Manning was hated by the Captain for F sakes.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

This is hard to read, mostly cause I think it is pretty accurate. My only hope is that in 40 games he can post a .915 sv% or so. He can't play more than 40. Thats a given at this point.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I can't imagine this is true, but when you look his final moves, god It is possible. Manning and Koski, I mean what could signal your just trying to ruin a team. Manning was hated by the Captain for F sakes.

Dont forget Petrovic, for a 3rd...he was in the press box and today is on the waiver wire after signing with Boston.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I actually don’t think Koskinen is that bad, if using the glove hand wasn’t a thing he’d be solid, guy has some insane athleticism for being 6’7. He just needs to realize he is 6’7 and stand up and raise his glove hand and I think he could get by

Reactions: Dr Awesome

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Caggiula and Strome were two of Mcdavids closest friends on the team and Chia traded them. The ultimate FU was trading one for the player that cost him the Calder. The Miko extension was just the icing on the cake.

BamaOil

Nov 18, 2018
I actually don’t think Koskinen is that bad, if using the glove hand wasn’t a thing he’d be solid, guy has some insane athleticism for being 6’7. He just needs to realize he is 6’7 and stand up and raise his glove hand and I think he could get by

I get what you're saying, and what I'm about to say isn't even a critique on your post, but in general...why do people associate height with how athletic one can be? Are all people 6'5" and over almost by default lumbering oafs or something? Am I one of the most athletic men in the world because I'm 5'9"?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

The bolded quote was Blues Advisor Peter Chiarelli wasn't it? :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad