Mikko Koskinen

Fmrnuckfan95

Dec 16, 2018
Edmonton
Hes a first year starter who has never faced such a high workload. An off season of solid training and a familiarity of what to expect and he will be good this season. I have faith in him fully.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Hes a first year starter who has never faced such a high workload. An off season of solid training and a familiarity of what to expect and he will be good this season. I have faith in him fully.
Never mind the high workload all of a sudden, behind one of the worst defence in the league, rather him as our No.1 than Smith whose s*** again tonight

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
FYI regarding The Athletic, they have a promotion on Facebook for $2.99 USD per month for a year (pay annually). If you don't see the ad you can go on their Facebook page and click their website link from there to get the discount when you navigate to "Subscribe Now". If you just try going through the website it won't give the discounted rate.

Just signed up today, seems amazing so far. Haven't played with the app much but looks really good.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
As long as Tippet doesn't play him 25 games in a row and in back to back games like Hitch did i think he'll be a decent starter
Right on man, and not surprised that this thread was not bumped after his first performance last night. But of course, he has mostly haters than fans.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
At the end of the day I really didn't expect much out of Mikko last night. First game of the year, was suppose to play Saturday, but didn't so that might've been in the back of his head.

I'm sure he's heard a lot about how bad his contract is during the summer.

Just mentally a lot going on. Came in and allowed 2 goals. Not sure I could ask for much more.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He looked noticeably better than last year imo, and specifically his lateral mobility looks much improved. He did get burned a couple times, resulting in the puck in the back of the net, but hopefully he continues to improve.

He had an .893 if it wasn’t for Sheahan getting the stick tied up on the kicked in goal, but it wasn’t a bad performance compared to what those numbers suggest

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Everyone should be cheering for him. With his cap hit, it's a big problem if he isn't good. If he can challenge Smith, then not only does it make Koski's cap hit worthwhile, but it would make negotiating with Smith a little easier. If we ended up giving Smith a similar cap hit for the 2020-21 season, that's 8 million on goalies which isn't bad as long as it works.

Just like the Neal situation. If he's worth his cap hit+ Lucic retention, wow what a gift to our team.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He looked noticeably better than last year imo, and specifically his lateral mobility looks much improved. He did get burned a couple times, resulting in the puck in the back of the net, but hopefully he continues to improve.

He had an .893 if it wasn’t for Sheahan getting the stick tied up on the kicked in goal, but it wasn’t a bad performance compared to what those numbers suggest
And if the oilers don’t give up a shorthand breakaway and cross ice pass that bear should of covered, he would of had a shutout.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Just want to remind everyone that all we need Kosko to be is a league average starting goaltender. At his cap hit he's paid at around the 20th highest costing starter in the league and that doesn't take into account the timing of the signing and cap inflation. His contract compares @ 20th to contracts signed years ago. So if he's average, he becomes an absolute STEAL.

That being said, and I know I've said this before and i'll continue to take slack for it, I still think he'll be better than average. 1 game down, 40-60ish to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDNicks17

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I dont like his style. He gets to easly burned. I agree on that if he shows a high % , like 93% saving procent, but including a calming presence for the defence, and not giving rebounds, he can be worth keeping, but only for these condition. He needs to be a 1:st starter. Otherwise Holland NEED to get rid of that salary. Ang I think that will be actually harder then Lucic (Who lived on his reputation in the trade). WIch team want to trade for an overpaid goalie?? OK, he´s 6"7, and maybe can be a sort of Ben Bishop project, thats something winning. But Oilers need to trade him with no rentation. And we should not buy him out. That costs 2,25m$ in capspace, in 4 long years. Thats insane.

I see a Carolina-Marleau kind of deal. Staple him with Puljujärvi+ a 3rd rounder and trade for a B prospect + low draftpick. Or just trade him with a 2nd to a team that buys him out. He is that overpaid.
Maybe Chiarelli thought 6"7 is the ground for a new league-breaking goalie. But even then its just stupid to overpay him. Like I said earlier, was the russian maffia involved in this signing?

After Lucic, the Koskinen contract is his second worst move. The Eberle-Strome-Spooner is somewhat understandable. Amd the Manning trade is just a player that Chiarelli has a weak spot for. But the Koskinen deal is on every plane just a mental meltdown. Chiarelli may have soured on the org, and just wanted to tear it down.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I like his size and his athleticism, and he seems to track the puck pretty well. He does seem to flounder at times when caught out of position but that's not always a bad thing, make the save however you have to. Other then that I think as he grows more confident of the team in front of him and them being consistent defensively he will look less shaky then he has.

I still think they need to can Dustin Schwartz, I don't think he's ever improved any of our goalie's games. I don't know if he would go for it but I'd love to see them bring Sean Burke into the fold. It would like have to be in some sort of front office role but could get him also working with goalies. Have a guy like Schwartz running the drills, handling the day to day on ice stuff but Burke has done great with goalies in the past and his expertise could be valuable.

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
I like his size and his athleticism, and he seems to track the puck pretty well. He does seem to flounder at times when caught out of position but that's not always a bad thing, make the save however you have to. Other then that I think as he grows more confident of the team in front of him and them being consistent defensively he will look less shaky then he has.

I still think they need to can Dustin Schwartz, I don't think he's ever improved any of our goalie's games. I don't know if he would go for it but I'd love to see them bring Sean Burke into the fold. It would like have to be in some sort of front office role but could get him also working with goalies. Have a guy like Schwartz running the drills, handling the day to day on ice stuff but Burke has done great with goalies in the past and his expertise could be valuable.

If i had to pick between getting rid of Schwartz or Nicholson and i can only pick one it's not even close to me at this point if we get rid of Schwartz i think our goalies would've been league average or above. I honestly don't think Talbs was as bad as he played his last couple years here but Schwartz got to him and he turned into a pylon just like every single goalie we've had since we've hired Schwartz. It's not surprising that Bross sucks while he's here leaves and is IMMEDIATELY a better goalie with Schwartz not around

Reactions: Stubu

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I dont like his style. He gets to easly burned. I agree on that if he shows a high % , like 93% saving procent, but including a calming presence for the defence, and not giving rebounds, he can be worth keeping, but only for these condition.

93% is basically Hasek level. There's only 1 or 2 starters each year that put up 93% or better type numbers and if Koskinen puts up something like that while playing 40+ games this year... he's worth more than his contract and should be extended.

Personally I think having Smith should help push Koskinen to play better as well. Smith is a veteran and has been in the NHL for many years... Koskinen can likely learn a little from him and the two hopefully can both push and support each other as well in a 1A-1B type situation.

I think goaltending might be decent this year for the Oilers... probably not fantastic because the overall defense on a team-wide basis isn't exceptional... so they are likely going to let in a few more goals than average BUT I think the team outscores the opposition on many nights as well with better offensive depth... so overall I think Smith-Koskinen will be a decent 1-2 combo. I also personally believe we'll see Starrett come up at some point this season and he'll prove to be a good backup performer as well for the team.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I dont like his style. He gets to easly burned. I agree on that if he shows a high % , like 93% saving procent, but including a calming presence for the defence, and not giving rebounds, he can be worth keeping, but only for these condition. He needs to be a 1:st starter. Otherwise Holland NEED to get rid of that salary. Ang I think that will be actually harder then Lucic (Who lived on his reputation in the trade). WIch team want to trade for an overpaid goalie?? OK, he´s 6"7, and maybe can be a sort of Ben Bishop project, thats something winning. But Oilers need to trade him with no rentation. And we should not buy him out. That costs 2,25m$ in capspace, in 4 long years. Thats insane.

I see a Carolina-Marleau kind of deal. Staple him with Puljujärvi+ a 3rd rounder and trade for a B prospect + low draftpick. Or just trade him with a 2nd to a team that buys him out. He is that overpaid.
Maybe Chiarelli thought 6"7 is the ground for a new league-breaking goalie. But even then its just stupid to overpay him. Like I said earlier, was the russian maffia involved in this signing?

After Lucic, the Koskinen contract is his second worst move. The Eberle-Strome-Spooner is somewhat understandable. Amd the Manning trade is just a player that Chiarelli has a weak spot for. But the Koskinen deal is on every plane just a mental meltdown. Chiarelli may have soured on the org, and just wanted to tear it down.
So all he has to do is be the best goalie in the league for you to like him?

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Since the last lockout a grand total of 7 starters have had a SV% of 93 or above. Even if you're being generous and include 92.5% and above we're still talking about no more than 3-4 starters per year.

If he is saving at 93% you laugh all the way to the bank for that bargain and send thank you notes to Chiarelli for signing him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Kosko with another win.

What's going on!?
Well a couple things come to mind. One he wasn't exactly horrible all of last season. Two he was suppose to be working on the parts of his game that weren't translating well from the bigger ice surface.

I have no idea whether or not he'll sustain this play, but he's doing what we need right now.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Since the last lockout a grand total of 7 starters have had a SV% of 93 or above. Even if you're being generous and include 92.5% and above we're still talking about no more than 3-4 starters per year.

If he is saving at 93% you laugh all the way to the bank for that bargain and send thank you notes to Chiarelli for signing him.

Ok ok, 91,5 % is my drawed line,

And then we will see if we trade him for the highly asked `Cap Space´, heard he´s pretty valuable.

Nurse, Nygård, Jurco, Persson, Bear. Or Koskinen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad