Mikko Koskinen

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
great signing by chia so far. man......holland leeching off chia and will take credit for chia's work.

It was a "Moranic" contract by Chiarelli. WHen he could sign him for 2,5, he just added 2 mil. for no reason.
WHile having trouble with cap. I think lots of Chiarellis contracts have explaining in himself was a agent, and maybe knew wich things that lead neogations ahead in short timespans.. But still brainless.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
It was a "Moranic" contract by Chiarelli. WHen he could sign him for 2,5, he just added 2 mil. for no reason.
WHile having trouble with cap. I think lots of Chiarellis contracts have explaining in himself was a agent, and maybe knew wich things that lead neogations ahead in short timespans.. But still brainless.
Koskinen wins the Vezina and that 4mill would be the deal of a lifetime. Chiarelli will say I told you so. Right now, Koskinen's worth every penny and more.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Koskinen wins the Vezina and that 4mill would be the deal of a lifetime. Chiarelli will say I told you so. Right now, Koskinen's worth every penny and more.

doesnt really matter when you look at what he were when he was signed.
Vezina? Well, the he at least needs to play at least 60-65 games I think. And he doesnt seem to have the stamina for that.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He's not a great goalie but he's not a terrible one either. I never understood the hate he got around here. He's average or slightly above-average. Certainly good enough to be an NHL goaltender. More of a 1B type than a true starter though, but when he has a guy like Smith to push him and prevent him from being overworked it works.

Reactions: The Oiler

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
doesnt really matter when you look at what he were when he was signed.
Vezina? Well, the he at least needs to play at least 60-65 games I think. And he doesnt seem to have the stamina for that.

His salary was what his worth was when he was signed, now he is worth his current salary, and maybe even more.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Schexy start to the season. 5-0, let’s hope he keeps it up. We really need these guys to perform until guys get healthy and we potentially get some help for our bottom 6.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
His salary was what his worth was when he was signed, now he is worth his current salary, and maybe even more.
That doesn’t matter though, he should have been signed at the end of the season. It’s irrelevant now though as he most definitely earning his contract but we could have definitely got him cheaper.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He's not a great goalie but he's not a terrible one either. I never understood the hate he got around here. He's average or slightly above-average. Certainly good enough to be an NHL goaltender. More of a 1B type than a true starter though, but when he has a guy like Smith to push him and prevent him from being overworked it works.
The hatred was not against him, but against his former GM and the organization that had another gaffe filled year last year.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
In a Finnish interview, he talked about his glove last year. He said he never considered it to be a weakness of his, but then everyone suddenly started to analyze his playing in Edmonton, and thought he lets in more glove hand goals than normal and he said it started to get to him mentally. Then he started to overanalyze his playing and started to break his concentration, which he says caused a lot of allowed goals he would like to get back.

The past summer, he spent analyzing his play and working on all the lower aspects. Then he joked that they'll find a new one this season, and he'll have to work on that next summer.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
In a Finnish interview, he talked about his glove last year. He said he never considered it to be a weakness of his, but then everyone suddenly started to analyze his playing in Edmonton, and thought he lets in more glove hand goals than normal and he said it started to get to him mentally. Then he started to overanalyze his playing and started to break his concentration, which he says caused a lot of allowed goals he would like to get back.

The past summer, he spent analyzing his play and working on all the lower aspects. Then he joked that they'll find a new one this season, and he'll have to work on that next summer.
I think it was the fans that started critiquing his glove hand. And if you're going to start listening to fans instead of your coaches, you are going to have some big problems.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
You think he plays in the first of back to back games this week? Koskinen vs Detroit and Smith vs Blue Jackets?

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
i

Mikko Koskinen

2019-20 Season

GPGSTOI/GWLOTLGAGAASASVSV%SOSOSV%
2019-20 Regular Season9858:06611192.18259240.92711.000
Projected736558:0649881542.1821011947.92780
Career686354:45332371802.9019281748.907576.000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

:nod: Way to go Mikko!

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hes been great this year. Still think he has some difficulty tracking the puck sometimes, but hes been solid and calm in net.

I thought he had some good moments last year, but I felt like he got run into the ground by the end of the year.

Wasnt sure what to expect coming into the season, but Tippett has managed the goalies much better than previous coaches here.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
i

Mikko Koskinen

2019-20 Season

GPGSTOI/GWLOTLGAGAASASVSV%SOSOSV%
2019-20 Regular Season9858:06611192.18259240.92711.000
Projected736558:0649881542.1821011947.92780
Career686354:45332371802.9019281748.907576.000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
:nod: Way to go Mikko!
Wow 58 wins? What a steal of a contract.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He seems to have solved his frying pan problem. Hopefully he continues to be steady and reliable along with Smith who are forming a nice tandem in net.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Some fans.

Hes been great this year. Still think he has some difficulty tracking the puck sometimes, but hes been solid and calm in net.

I thought he had some good moments last year, but I felt like he got run into the ground by the end of the year.

Wasnt sure what to expect coming into the season, but Tippett has managed the goalies much better than previous coaches here.

First off it was not a moronic contract. We needed a starter. The organization decided to gamble on Koskinen. 4.5 for 3 years is an extremely low cap hit and great term. He was overpaid by 1 mill at the very most and the only moronic part is his no movement clause. Timing was also stramge but there wete very few options available. Talbot for example signed for 3 years 4.17 per and that turned out disastrous. In today's NHL paying only 4.5 for a starter is awesome. If Smith hits his bonuses he will be getting 3.75 million. He was terrible last year and almost 40 and still got almost as much as Koskinen did.

Koskinen has played well overall. His glove hand was never as bad as some made it out to be. It is extremely easy to see how a criticism like that got into his head. Point in case one shot Talbot. I would bet a large sum Talbot has the nhl record for most first shot first goals against to start a game/period. That's mental and completely fabricated by circumstance and media/fan attention. I do not understand fans obsession with having to hate on a player. It's very real for athletes to get effected by fan/media attention.

In Koskinen I see a Duybnk level goalie. The Minnesota version Dubnyk. Koskinen got crazy overplayed by desperate stupid coach/management. Tippett usage of goalies has been night and day better than anything I've seen in a decade from the Oilers. That is the biggest factor to his renewed success. A good system and better overall defense helps as well but he was run into the ground last year and somehow his detractors ignored that.

I still don't know exactly what we have in him but the good has certainly outweighs the bad so far. And that has been true practically from day 1. Glad we got Smith to help him out. Moving forward tho I'd like to see him get the slight majority of the starts. He has been the more consistent goalie.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
TBF on questioning the contract, Koskinen got run into the ground after he signed that contract. He followed a fantastic 2 month stretch, late October to Xmas, with a terrible 3-4 week stretch after Christmas then the extension was announced. It just seemed to be odd timing for that announcement.

I've always said that this contract could turn out to be great for the Oilers. It looks good now but only time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad