Mikko Koskinen

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Aren't goalies that make 4.5 mill and up supposed to be able to handle a bit of a workload? Suck it up princess and earn your money.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Look forward to being proven correct as usual again. Kosko is the real deal. And you guys are going to love the taste of crow when he starts stealing games for us. You know, like he did last year, before our defense was obliterated.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm willing to give him a shot, but he needs to improve on the glove hand and some of his angles. Granted he was basically a rookie played into the ground down the stretch (25/27 starts to end the season because Hitch was desperate to try and get a contract extension, sheesh).

I think 45 starts for Kosko and 38 or so for Smith would be a good work load for both.

Reactions: o98

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'm willing to give him a shot, but he needs to improve on the glove hand and some of his angles. Granted he was basically a rookie played into the ground down the stretch (25/27 starts to end the season because Hitch was desperate to try and get a contract extension, sheesh).

I think 45 starts for Kosko and 38 or so for Smith would be a good work load for both.
He played that many cause Stolarz was hurt, but okay.

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
I'm sorry but this guy is pure semi pro. He is crap. He can't stop a single high glove shot. Waste of 3 million and a waste of a roster spot.

The guy was widely regarded as the best goaltender in Europe, which is why he got an NHL contract at age 30. If anything I'd put the blame of his dip into occasional crappiness down to the Edmonton factor and its goaltender coaching.

Reactions: Aerchon

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
The guy was widely regarded as the best goaltender in Europe, which is why he got an NHL contract at age 30. If anything I'd put the blame of his dip into occasional crappiness down to the Edmonton factor and its goaltender coaching.
So why they didn't bring Marko Torenius over who was his coach at Blues and SKA?

Reactions: fuswald

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
So was the Monster.

Just shows that the European leagues are greatly inferior to the NHL product.

The amount of guys over the age of 26-27 that come over and have success in the NHL are pretty few and far between.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
My favorite thing is when random Europeans come onto our board and tell us that the rest of the team is the reason their favorite Finnish player didn't play amazing like we all didn't watch Koskinen play 50 games last year.

Reactions: Austerlitz

Navx94

Sponsor
Jan 17, 2019
It’s depressing to think almost all of those dmen are still on the team.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I hope he bounces back but honestly I just dont know what to expect from him.

I thought he was good to start the year but it ended poorly. It seemed like Teams figured him out though, which isnt good. That being said, our coaching/management staff has done a poor job of handling goalies. I thought they ran him into the ground by the end of the year, as they did with Talbot the previous 2 seasons (I understand the playoff year but not the other 2 seasons). From an outsider looking in, the coaching staff just never seemed to have a (logical) plan on the goaltending. Things never really changed when Hitchcock came in. I dont personally know how much say Schwartz has had. I dont know why the Oilers traded Talbot for Stolarz, then proceeded to not even play him. This team did some really weird things with the goaltending over the last few years. I'd really like to know what went on.

I think it really depends on Holland/Tippett, I think if they are on the same page (and it seems like they are), and if Tippett actually uses his coaching staff, something like goaltending could be a lot better on this team. Theres just a lot of unknowns on this team at the moment. I dont really know what to think. I am not going to throw Koskinen under the bus though. I hate the contract management gave him but I hope he makes the most of it.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Props to the video editor. Trying to find 10 Kiskinen saves must have been a time consuming challenge

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I hope he bounces back but honestly I just dont know what to expect from him.

I thought he was good to start the year but it ended poorly. It seemed like Teams figured him out though, which isnt good. That being said, our coaching/management staff has done a poor job of handling goalies. I thought they ran him into the ground by the end of the year, as they did with Talbot the previous 2 seasons (I understand the playoff year but not the other 2 seasons). From an outsider looking in, the coaching staff just never seemed to have a (logical) plan on the goaltending. Things never really changed when Hitchcock came in. I dont personally know how much say Schwartz has had. I dont know why the Oilers traded Talbot for Stolarz, then proceeded to not even play him. This team did some really weird things with the goaltending over the last few years. I'd really like to know what went on.

I think it really depends on Holland/Tippett, I think if they are on the same page (and it seems like they are), and if Tippett actually uses his coaching staff, something like goaltending could be a lot better on this team. Theres just a lot of unknowns on this team at the moment. I dont really know what to think. I am not going to throw Koskinen under the bus though. I hate the contract management gave him but I hope he makes the most of it.

This. Goalies are a bit like pitchers in baseball. They can come out of nowhere and dominate for a while, once figured out they get lit up. If your good you change your play, and fill in your holes. If Koski was 22 I would have faith he could work on his holes, but at 31? what are the odds. I bet they will buy him out, he isn't an NHL goalie. prove me wrong Koski.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
My favorite thing is when random Europeans come onto our board and tell us that the rest of the team is the reason their favorite Finnish player didn't play amazing like we all didn't watch Koskinen play 50 games last year.

We watched him play well through the first 25, then watched him get run into the ground playing the last 25 all in a row.

With a proper rotation koskinen is not terrible

Reactions: ujju2

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Many of his highlights are him lying on the ice, too many for my taste.

I think the #2 save is one aspect of Koskinens game that gives me just a little bit of hope for this duo - a smaller goalie would never reach on that final gloveside save.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Many of his highlights are him lying on the ice, too many for my taste.

I think the #2 save is one aspect of Koskinens game that gives me just a little bit of hope for this duo - a smaller goalie would never reach on that final gloveside save.
That's how most goalie highlights are though.

You dont get a highlight reel of saves that look routine.

Reactions: Todd Parchment

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad