Mikko Koskinen

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I'm sorry but this guy is pure semi pro. He is crap. He can't stop a single high glove shot. Waste of 3 million and a waste of a roster spot.

Reactions: Beerfish

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I might be one of the few that actually thinks he is legit. The issue with him is workload and fatigue. I'm in his corner for this upcoming season!

No you aren't the only one, but like most things the detractors get so loud about running him down they drown out almost any support Koskinen may have.

Yes he's overpaid but he's still a decent goalie when he has proper recovery. Even in second half of last season, when the team would have an extra day or 2 off, Mikko's game rebounded rather well.

Put a cap on his workload and have Koskinen and Smith on a set rotation, Koskinen should give the team a decent chance to win when he plays

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
He can be good, but until he fixes his high glove he will have issues. Shooters are too good these days, they can pick that spot. Once the book was out that's all guys did to him. So yeah, he works on it and fixes it he'll be OK, if not....

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
I'm sorry but this guy is pure semi pro. He is crap. He can't stop a single high glove shot. Waste of 3 million and a waste of a roster spot.

I tend to agree, except that he's signed for three years at 4.5 million...

...the upside is there, but so is the downside. No choice but to pull for him.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Winning record first year in the NHL on a bad team. It’s silly to write him off. Hopefully he works on his angles and glove but I think he could turn it around.

Edit : before you mention it... contrary to what my name says I’m not a massive huge kosko fan. In fact I’m I wouldn’t be surprised if Smith takes over number 1.

Reactions: ujju2

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Number 6 is my favourite, I have no idea how someone’s glove can be so good and so bad at the same time.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Fatigue imo was very obviously a big problem. Terrible usage by management.

I have zero faith in this team/coaching/goalie management.

I will be shocked if the season does not go like this.

Play Koskinen one or two games either preseason or to start the year. If he struggles even slightly or the team in front struggles Smith gets the next 10 starts.

Smith wins a few but overall sucks and keeps getting the starts, cause the Oilers management believe he is the answer.

After a long losing streak they finally put the ice cold Koskinen back in who eventually strings some wins together.

To which they respond by rewarding Koskinen 30 straight starts. Where he starts falling apart again around the 10 to 15 game mark. Glove probably feels like lead after that many consecutive starts.

This is a slight exaggeration of course but it will go something like that. I have no idea why this organization is so terrible managing their goalies. It's not rocket science and yet they f*** it up so badly every year.

Either the organization does not listen to their goalies coach or the goalie coach is a complete f***ing idiot. Either way he needs to go and serious change needs to happen with the way the Oilers use their goalies.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Koski has Vezina caliber in him, we’ve seen it before boys, Koski just needs to string it together for a longer stretch which I’m convinced he can do. Let’s not forget the apparent tension in the locker room thatmust have forced us to dump Talbot and then Looch, you never know what that type of stuff does to a goalies psyche. New season, new room and Mike Smith is just the patient guy to guide Koski to Vezina level.

Reactions: o98 and The Oiler

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Winning record first year in the NHL on a bad team. It’s silly to write him off. Hopefully he works on his angles and glove but I think he could turn it around.

Edit : before you mention it... contrary to what my name says I’m not a massive huge kosko fan. In fact I’m I wouldn’t be surprised if Smith takes over number 1.

Dont worry about what @KYams17 says, before we even signed the guy from the KHL he was screaming the guy sucked. He is biased beyond any rational but will stay crazy things like Omark is better than Datsyuk LOL

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Koski has Vezina caliber in him, we’ve seen it before boys, Koski just needs to string it together for a longer stretch which I’m convinced he can do. Let’s not forget the apparent tension in the locker room thatmust have forced us to dump Talbot and then Looch, you never know what that type of stuff does to a goalies psyche. New season, new room and Mike Smith is just the patient guy to guide Koski to Vezina level.

Koskinen has as much Vezina caliber in him as Justin Schultz has Norris caliber in him.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
How come his first 20 games here his glove was on fire, and then as soon as schwartz got ahold of him his glove started being held alot lower, just like every other goalie to come to edmonton.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If we have the goalies do a 45-35 split roughly I think Koskinen will put up much better stats.

After being rested and not fatigued he puts up much better numbers, his numbers tanked when he played like 29 out of 30 games.

Messier11

May 9, 2016
How come his first 20 games here his glove was on fire, and then as soon as schwartz got ahold of him his glove started being held alot lower, just like every other goalie to come to edmonton.

Absolutely true. This season should hopefully demonstrate this once and for all and maybe Holland will do the one last bit of housecleaning that he should have done this summer.

I wonder if Talbot, now free of Schwartz’s stupid coaching will learn to use his glove again and bounce back. In turn, I expect Smith to actually excel because he is too much of a veteran to take crap from Schwartz. And that leaves Koskinen to mire in mediocrity. Even Brossoit got his crap together with a better coach (who the Oilers should have hired) and was much better in Winnipeg this last year.

This past season you could practically tell in which game Koskinen started to take Schwartz’s lessons to heart. He started to make himself look small and went from a standup goaltender to one who, like Talbot before him, would crouch on his knees and get beat glove or short side high. Contrast that to Jordan Binnington, or old school Jonathon Quick (coached by Ranford) who were stand up goalies. Oilers are stupid for keeping this idiot goal coach.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Watching the highlights, you can see Kosko he uses near the same approach as Rinne. Big goalie that relies on his size, reactions, and athleticism. Biggest difference is Rinne is quicker to get back to his feet while Kosko can start swimming. Though how much do the teams and defences in front of them impact that?**

I can see why the team likes him moving forward, but with his style his endurance is likely to always be questionable. Though if Smith's on the same page as him, he's a guy that may be able to help Kosko with his game, considering he's made a career of also playing that very style.

On that note, this is one thing I'd be weary of with Talbot if I was Calgary. I think it's clear he's walking into that situation looking to win the #1 job, not so much to mentor/help Rittich. It's a bit of a red flag in my book that Philly chose Elliot over him to backup/work with Hart.

Now Smith very well may have the same issue, but at 37 and already having this situation last year, I can see him being a bit more mello. Plus with his bonus structure, he's incentivised to help the team get to the playoffs, vs. just steal the starting job from Kosko.

**Also I'm not questioning that Rinne is a better goalie, but we've seen when Nashville's defence starts to bend and get figured out, he struggles to compensate and looks like a fish out of water too. It's just what happens when this style of goaltending gets exposed.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
That last save... Wow. More luck than anything since it doesn't look like he could even see the puck.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
That last save... Wow. More luck than anything since it doesn't look like he could even see the puck.
To be fair to goalies, I thought that they often don't see the puck. It's a lot about having an idea of where the puck will be.

At least that is what I got from our resident goalie on hfoil :nod:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm skeptical about Koskinen. He started good but ended poor, and to me that means that the league wrote the book on him.

So the only hope is that he knows what the book on him is now, and that he can successfully repair his skills. Here's hoping I guess, but I'm thinking Smith has the starter job

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad