TSN: Mikheyev

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Trading for a player's negotiating rights provides a team with exclusive access to signing that player prior to him reaching UFA and being able to talk with any other interested teams. I also feel that most of the teams which trade for a player's rights do end up reaching an agreement with said player more often than not.
Of course, but who’s giving up an asset for Mik? Unless they can dump something on Dubas, which is possible.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Of course, but who’s giving up an asset for Mik? Unless they can dump something on Dubas, which is possible.
Any team which wants to sign him before he reaches the free agent market. While I'm not overly certain that I'd be fond of the Leafs acquiring a player in this manner, players certainly have changed teams via this method before.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

According to TSN insider trading they're reporting perhaps as much as 1/2 the league will show interest in talking to Mikheyev.

That makes him a valuable commodity and if a team gets his rights early it gives them a head start of signing him.

Since our Leafs are always in Cap Hell they can't afford to keep him even if they wanted to, so trading his rights for a pick or prospect would be in Leafs best interest as opposed to losing him for nothing.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I don't know if your being sarcastic but Dubas was the GM who signed Tavares not Lou, but I do think regardless of GM he was coming home...you don't say no to talent like that coming for free, even if in retrospect now, it hasn't panned out.
I thought it was pretty obviously sarcasm. I was responding to a poster who said Dubas' cap problems were all Lou's fault.

I think about the biggest damage Lou did to us was (not literally) taking Martin and Komarov with him when he left.

Reactions: TheScandal89

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
He wanted out last season, he doesn’t see an opportunity here to play in the top 6 consistently.
I wouldn’t even think of this as to do with the cap.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
All the tools, no toolbox. Don't understand the fascination with this guy, I would have driven him to the airport last year when he asked for a trade if I was the GM, but I guess begging for scraps when it's too late is a start? Maybe next rebuild Dubas will know how to manage his assets a little better.

Reactions: fahad203

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Whatever. Trade him and watch him succeed elsewhere. They need more of him in the playoffs with his speed and work ethic. Its damn sad they'll have to get new bottom 6 every 2 years on dirt cheap contracts. Pathetic cap management.

Mikheyev has been largely ineffective in the playoffs

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Yet another thread derailed.

Good luck Mik. I wonder how things might have ended up if he didn’t bugger his wrist.

Reactions: NinjaKick

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Honestly don't mind this. If we can get rid of Kerfoot and Holl's salary as well and fill the middle 6 with Marlies as well, I would be content. Liljegren is primed for a top 4 spot as a starter and Holl shouldn't sniff that area anymore if this is to be a serious team. I think Abruzzeze and other Marlies who have high compete levels are more than serviceable for third and fourth line duties and I would like to see Robertson and or Knies tried out first in a top 6 role.

You can't fill the bottom 6 with all Marlies that's not how it works you might be able to fill 1 or 2 spots MAYBE but the reality is most of the guys in the AHL aren't good enough and never will that's why they are in the AHL.

There are exceptions, some guys break through but the vast majority don't and never will.

You can't just call up 6 marlies and go "here you go" it doesn't work that way.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Whatever. Trade him and watch him succeed elsewhere. They need more of him in the playoffs with his speed and work ethic. Its damn sad they'll have to get new bottom 6 every 2 years on dirt cheap contracts. Pathetic cap management.

All that is great but NONE of it matters if he doesn't show up come playoff time and he doesn't ever, not just this year, ever

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

It appears the Leafs are moving on from [unrestricted free agent] Ilya Mikheyev as they have informed teams they are willing to trade his rights, correct?

Johnston: That's right. What's interesting here is obviously before sending out that note, there was nothing worked out with any teams when it comes to Ilya Mikheyev, but the fact it has gone out is indicative of the interest that I believe will be here for this player. There are some that believe that as many as half the teams in the league will show some interest in him as a free agent. It's not to say the Leafs will necessarily be able to make a trade for his rights because I think Mikheyev himself is curious to see what's out there for him on the open market. This is going to be someone of high interest as we get closer to July 13th. He's looking for a contract somewhere in the $4-million range or even above.
I'd imagine any team that can fit Mikheyev in, will try to sign him. He does so many good things. I think the Leafs are letting go of a player that they absolutely shouldn't. I'm not keen on this. Depending on his landing spot obviously, I think he'll be the next ex-Leaf to win a Cup.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
All that is great but NONE of it matters if he doesn't show up come playoff time and he doesn't ever, not just this year, ever
We've got so many players that don't play to their cap hit in the playoffs. Ilya does provide other things though. He keeps defences honest with his speed. He's a pretty North/South player and good on the PK. He'll end up flourishing somewhere as usual.

We can never keep anyone half decent under 32 because of the way our cap has been managed. It's crazy the amount of middle six guys that we've just let walk year after year.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We've got so many players that don't play to their cap hit in the playoffs. Ilya does provide other things though. He keeps defences honest with his speed. He's a pretty North/South player and good on the PK. He'll end up flourishing somewhere as usual.

We can never keep anyone half decent under 32 because of the way our cap has been managed. It's crazy the amount of middle six guys that we've just let walk year after year.

It wouldn't matter to me if this team had 35 million in cap space paying Mikyehev 4+ million is ridiculous. You can find players that do what he does for less than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad