TSN: Mikheyev

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I can see Mikheyev get zero interest at his agent's asking price then after a couple weeks pass he gets a short term deal (2 or 3 years) at about $3M aav.
I think its going to be the opposite.

Speed kills and Mikheyev as it in spade to burn .. He can generate 2-3 scoring chances for himself a game sometimes simply using it particularly on the PK.

When you get to playoff style hockey and everything tightens up time and space the way to beat a trap system is with speed.

I think there will be quite a bit of interest from teams and his 21 goals in 53 games is on pace for 33 goal season on 82 games. Teams will pay $4.5 - $5.5 for 25-30 goals and lightening fast speed.

Northofyu

Nov 12, 2018

Speed kills and Mikheyev as it in spade to burn .. He can generate 2-3 scoring chances for himself a game sometimes simply using it particularly on the PK.

When you get to playoff style hockey and everything tightens up time and space the way to beat a trap system is with speed.

I think there will be quite a bit of interest from teams and his 21 goals in 53 games is on pace for 33 goal season on 82 games. Teams will pay $4.5 - $5.5 for 25-30 goals and lightening fast speed.

Good call!

I'm going to miss his speed (we're not as fast as we used to be) but sure, wouldn't want to pay that price.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
As I live in Vancouver, I got to listen to one of his interview over the radio yesterday. The first question asked was why choose the Nucks. Which is normal for the host to ask. Mik answer was, I played against them a lot and they are a good team and Jim is a great, city is nice….
Think he will do well in Vancouver as they need his speed.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
At least in Vancouver we won't see him too often.

He'll help them, but not enough that we'll have to see another ex-Leaf get his name on the Cup.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Im not a fan of this contract but I hope he breaks out for you guys like how JT Miller did. always liked Mikheyev if that boy can ever take advantage of his break aways he could end up being a 40 goal scorer unfortunately he only scores about 25% of those. you guys will love his speed as well

Reactions: saffronleaf

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Ilya Mikheyev is a heck of a 2.5-3M dollar player on a 3rd line. Good PK too. Loved hearing, 'Souuuup'. Unless he's going nova next year, he's not a 4.75M x 4 player. Especially on a team 2.75M over the cap today needing to shed Miller and/or Garland.

Wish you well, Soup, spend it wisely.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022

yeah "for himself". we need smart structured hockey in the playoffs. he provides zero.

you think we're going to win games with mik busting down the wing sniping home goals? You must be dreaming. His legs turn into 1000 lb logs in the playoffs unless teams willingly give him the space to skate.

When has mik ever beat a trap system with speed :laugh: how much did mik pay you to write this

Reactions: DraftSchmaft

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
I have honestly never seen Mik create space or shuffle defensive players around. The space usually already needs to exist as a precondition to his legs flying and eating it up.

You need high IQ to beat trap systems and some elite edge work also helps like how Nylander sliced and diced his way through the Habs in the playoffs. You can't just bust in there like it's house league.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I have honestly never seen Mik create space or shuffle defensive players around. The space usually already needs to exist as a precondition to his legs flying and eating it up.

You need high IQ to beat trap systems and some elite edge work also helps like how Nylander sliced and diced his way through the Habs in the playoffs. You can't just bust in there like it's house league.

Mikheyev is like a lower IQ stallion who can run free in open ice and can do a lot with his long reach. Remains to be seen what his scoring touch is over a longer sample size. His game face is probably the worst part of his game. You watch his closeups and he has the expression of the frightened new kid. Not sure there’s a heart of a lion under there…

Reactions: DraftSchmaft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad