Oct 29, 2009

Leafs open to dealing Mikheyev's rights

1656613049712.png

Leafs open to dealing Mikheyev's rights - TSN.ca

Reactions: Nylander88

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Hopefully we can get a pick out of it. He's ok but very streaky. Kind of Kapanen lite. Wheels for days, but i don't think he ever found his scoring touch after the wrist injury. He is replaceable for less.
ALso, with him and Campbell both on the outs, does that mean it's truly "No Soup(s) for us?"

Thank you ladies and gents, you've been a great audience! I'll see my way to the door....

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Really sucks to know that there is almost no chance Ilya comes back to play for the Leafs next year. Even in his scoring droughts he is an incredibly effective player. Unfortunately if his contract demands are what they are rumored to be, moving on from him is really the only option.

Not exactly sure what his exclusive rights would fetch us, but I think he a lot of teams would love to have Ilya on their team. His speed is elite and he is a big body who knows how to win pucks and protect them as well. He added a little scoring touch this year, and in all honesty I don't see that changing with his speed. Most of his goals are generated off of him gaining a step on his man and making individual plays to the net.

It was always a mystery why he was never all that noticeable in playoffs TBH. His brand of play is far from soft, and he competes like a motherf***er. We just cannot afford to be paying a middle six forward the type of money Ilya deserves unfortunately. We will just need to find the solution from within. Maybe a Steeves, Robertson, Holmberg...etc

Best of luck Ilya, you were a treat to watch (for the most part)

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Which essentially confirms that both feet are out the door. Not exactly some big secret, no. Not a bad way to recoup a pick though. Will miss The Soup(s?).

Reactions: McSnypsky

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Really sucks to know that there is almost no chance Ilya comes back to play for the Leafs next year. Even in his scoring droughts he is an incredibly effective player. Unfortunately if his contract demands are what they are rumored to be, moving on from him is really the only option.

Not exactly sure what his exclusive rights would fetch us, but I think he a lot of teams would love to have Ilya on their team. His speed is elite and he is a big body who knows how to win pucks and protect them as well. He added a little scoring touch this year, and in all honesty I don't see that changing with his speed. Most of his goals are generated off of him gaining a step on his man and making individual plays to the net.

It was always a mystery why he was never all that noticeable in playoffs TBH. His brand of play is far from soft, and he competes like a motherf***er. We just cannot afford to be paying a middle six forward the type of money Ilya deserves unfortunately. We will just need to find the solution from within. Maybe a Steeves, Robertson, Holmberg...etc

Best of luck Ilya, you were a treat to watch (for the most part)
Maybe this can be filed under the TB respected us in the handshake line.
BUT
I get a lot watching a players face. I don't love the body language from IIya.
Maybe it is the Russian way but not the same joy/happiness/anger displayed from IIya. Specifically watched a big goal he was on the ice for and the rest of the guys were going crazy celebrating and he was meh.

I think this is the difference between a regular season performer and a playoff performer.
Passion.
And with him it lacks.

Reactions: andora

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Regardless of salary demands he also likely wants to play in the top six on a team - which isn't going to happen with the Leafs. He requested a trade the previous season too.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
all I take away from this is that Toronto/Campbell are still talking or else trade his rights too which would probably fetch more (aka a 5th)

32 pts in 53 games in a contract year.. what you think he gets? 2mil? Anything more will be a regret.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
If this is anything like what we tried with Hyman it'll go hilariously bad. I hope we learned from that and decided to not ask for a 3rd round pick for basically nothing again

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
i guess this is Dubies way of telling the fans Mik won't work for the peanuts we can offer .

Do you want him? I keep hearing "playoffs", and you shouldn't want this guy on your team if you are just judging by playoffs, you should be praising Dubas, or does your opinion on what matters sway with what Dubas is doing?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
provided he doesn't do something silly like he did with Hyman and try and demand a price no one will pay.

I'd rather the Oilers have to pay 500k more per season than take a 6th or 5th, whatever it was. Whatever can help drive McDavid away from Edmonton is fine by me, which is kind of what I figured the thought process was. Overpay to make it worth it.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Do you want him? I keep hearing "playoffs", and you shouldn't want this guy on your team if you are just judging by playoffs, you should be praising Dubas, or does your opinion on what matters sway with what Dubas is doing?
why wouldn't i want him ? he's big fast works his ass off and produced at a solid rate , sure it comes down to how much it'll take i to sign him but i wouldn't have a problem giving him 3.5-4m x 4yrs , unfortunately Dubies budget is 1.5 max so another solid player walks out the door

and i guess since we can't afford him we should shit on him on the way out which has become a tradition with the hommies

He didn’t demand a high price for Hymans rights, he demanded a high price for an unprecedented sign and trade.
how'd that work out for him ?

but i'm guessing the 6th rd pick he'd like to get for Mik;s rights this yr is a hell of lot more valuable than the 6th rd pick he refused to take last year , lol

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
why wouldn't i want him ? he's big fast works his ass off and produced at a solid rate , sure it comes down to how much it'll take i to sign him but i wouldn't have a problem giving him 3.5-4m x 4yrs , unfortunately Dubies budget is 1.5 max so another solid player walks out the door

and i guess since we can't afford him we should shit on him on the way out which has become a tradition with the hommies

how'd that work out for him ?

but i'm guessing the 6th rd pick he'd like to get for Mik;s rights this yr is a hell of lot more valuable than the 6th rd pick he refused to take last year , lol

These are his playoff stats.

19GP - 2G - 2A - 4P (2 ENG)

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
He really came on this year...but he has a longer resume of not being able to finish. Is what it is. I'm happy to see some roster change over to be honest. Super fast guy who's good on the PK, but he isn't physical or nasty, and likely lands more around a 15 goal guy wherever he goes. And likely that price tag is going to be around 4milion. No thanks. Excited to hopefully see some kids play this year, and add some toughness. New goalie likely incoming too.

Reactions: NothingButPING

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Definitely going to get overpaid for what he actually brings. Good for him and I wish him luck wherever he signs!
Depends on where he signs.

If he signs with Toronto at $4M, he'll play like a $2M dud.

If he signs anywhere else for $4M, hell play like a $6M bargain.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Regardless of salary demands he also likely wants to play in the top six on a team - which isn't going to happen with the Leafs. He requested a trade the previous season too.
True, although he probably should be. He's another fast skater who doesn't work with Tavares, and as long as JT is inked in at 2C, he'll be wasted just like Willy.

:laugh: I recall the usual's spinning that as another genius move last summer.
It was - Hyman was absolute garbage last year, especially in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->