TSN: Mikheyev

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Best Bang for your Salary Cap Buck !!!! ** Cap management 101 **

2021-21 stats
=========
John Tavares ........ 79 games .. 27 goals .. $11 mil AAV = $407,400 cap $ consumption per goal.
Ilya Mikheyev ...... 53 games .. 21 goals .. $ 1.645 mil AAV = $78,333 cap $ consumption per goal.
Michael Bunting ..79 games .. 23 goals .. $950k AAV = $41,304 cap $ consumption per goal.

Last season a JT goal cost the Leafs $400k of Cap, a Mikheyev goal at $78K and Bunting goal $41K, with Leafs getting much better value per goal from the bottom end of the roster.

First Kadri, then Hyman, now Mikheyev and next year Bunting all forced off the Leafs roster for salary cap reasons, because Leafs can no longer afford these higher cap value productive players because they have so much invested in JT among others. Leafs can only afford depth players making $1.5 mil or less but once their contracts are up and you have to pay for their production, you have to move on from them.
Oh come on,

You know you're being completely disingenuous here.

Tavares was a point per game player this past season, playing 2nd line centre.

Mikheyev had an anomaly type season when you look at not only his history, but post season production.

2 assists in 7 games. Yeah he had 2 EN goals in the same game that doubled his playoff performance.

His biggest boon this year was the penalty kill where the speed was always a factor of fear and helped Toronto do really well when looking at effective penalty killing percentage.

Our penalty kill was by far our biggest liability in the playoffs though, and after game 1, our pk was never remotely dangerous again.

I don't see the link to Tavares to be honest.

Players like Mikheyev, Kerfoot, Gardiner, who have tools and speed to burn, but lack the brain to be effective are always replaceable and should never be paid like core players, nor even like solid depth guys.

Bunting wasn't even a thing this time last year, why are you bemoaning his next contract already? He has exactly 0 track record in the NHL, that he was still a rookie at 26.
I like the player, and if he plays like he did this year, I would like to keep him around, but let's not act like he is some 22 year old prodigy that we have been penciling into the lineup for years only to now lose him to the cap.

yup f*** them , getting nothing is much better than a 6th rd pick
Truth be told, a 6th round pick is essentially nothing, historically speaking.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
He's a good PK'er, but was invisible in the first round of the playoffs. He's good at one thing... skating. Awful 5 on 5 and brings nothing special other than speed. One dimensional floater. Good riddance.
Agree with everything but 'floater'. Thats a stretch, he works hard but unpredictable productivity. And yeah, he has two playoff goals in three straight playoff appearances, both empty netters :laugh:

Good luck Mik, I guess.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
don't see why people are so shocked at what he's looking for , you have to start somewhere and when you see what players like Goodrow/Coleman/Hyman signed for he's not out of line with his asking price

hell , there was even some idiot who gave Ritchie 2.5m x 2 yrs

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
don't see why people are so shocked at what he's looking for , you have to start somewhere and when you see what players like Goodrow/Coleman/Hyman signed for he's not out of line with his asking price

hell , there was some even idiot who gave Ritchie 2.5m x 2 yrs

Funny, you would use Ritchie's when there were so many worse ones, including 10.9 for a small assist guy.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Milstein is one of those aggressive agents who uses media and asks for the moon. I'm guessing the Mikheyev gets more of the Anthony Duclair treatment on the free agent market than something close to $5M aav. The cap hasn't risen for 3 years, it was the highest scoring season in at least 2 decades. Mik has 2 non-empty net points in 19 career playoff games. Mikheyev has had the one productive year, that's it. I will say that Mikheyev does bring some more attributes than Duclair but both are buyer beware type of signings. Here's my prediction: not an immediate signing, signs in August to a short deal around $2M aav.

Reactions: banks

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I can see him getting around 3 ish. He might be worth that. But even at 3 million I would consider walking away. Especially since the Leafs have wingers like Robertson and Knies in the system who can take a spot soon.

I liked having Mikheyev on the team, but for 4 million or more he's going to be a whipping boy really quickly with his new team.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
maybe i should have used giving 11m to a guy who skates like a beer leaguer
OT but what has happened to JT's skating? I remember there was criticism of his skating when he first entered the league but I thought he had done the work to fix it by his second contract with the Islanders.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
OT but what has happened to JT's skating? I remember there was criticism of his skating when he first entered the league but I thought he had done the work to fix it by his second contract with the Islanders.
he improved it by the 2nd contract but he was still on the slower side

the leagues been getting faster and he's getting older and slower which isn't a good combination

Last edited:

michi510

Aug 31, 2011
Toronto
Mik is as good as gone, with the way Dubas kept shrugging his shoulders when talking about him today.

Too bad. His speed was such a great asset on the PK, but not worth 4-5mil. Good luck to him with cashing in

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Signing guys like Mikeheyev is one way Dubas has been able to soften the blow of pissing away so many draft picks. We need more of those. Now.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I can see Mikheyev get zero interest at his agent's asking price then after a couple weeks pass he gets a short term deal (2 or 3 years) at about $3M aav.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad